Swabbing between shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swab between shots at the range. I just load after the shot at game.
That said I test my hunting loads. I shoot load, shoot load. I look for a different POI.
My loads have stayed the same for many years. The second, third and more shoot very close to my original point of impact. I don't worry about swabbing in the field because I tested it.

I run a patch every shot at the range most of the time. I have several times kept shooting till it was hard to reload or the accuracy drops off. This is almost always the 4th shot with black powder , so a second shot is no problem. I have noticed that my custom barrel seems to clean easier after 4 rounds .

New guy trying to learn. Been reading but couldn’t find anything on this particular subject.

So, if I shoot a deer and I need to reload immediately, do I swab damp/dry patches first or not? Concern is embers in barrel when reloading might set it off. I intend to use White Hots. Thanks.

Do whatever you do at the range. But I would try to find a powder/load that didn't need to be swabbed.

Back