Swabbing/crud ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m thinking of trying some 777 3f powder using federal 209a primers. That’s all I have available. If I swab between shots will I eliminate the crud ring??

It will certainly help…

When I started using 777 in my T/C Omega, I don’t think that the special “muzzleloader“ primers were even on the market yet. So… I just used “regular” 209 primers. I specifically remember using Winchester W209 primers, among others.

I got the dreaded crud ring, which I expected, due to reading the Forums before shooting my new rifle. Swabbing the barrel between shots definitely helped, for me. I began to swab before I could even feel the crud ring…

One caution: depending upon how quickly the crud ring appears, I could see not getting your projectile fully seated on your powder. As is often repeated by others here, be sure to use “witness marks” on your ramrod, so you can tell for sure when your projectile is fully seated.

Have fun! 👍

In my 2 Omegas, it doesn’t matter what primer I use, I get the crud ring after one shot. Swabbing doesn‘t really help much, so I changed to a different powder. Yet, my buddy with a CVA has no such issue. And yes, watch your witness mark is a great tip!!!

I swab between every shot. One damp patch, one dry. In a hunting situation, I can push another bullet down the barrel for a quick second shot, but that has never happened. I honestly can't tell much difference using the special 777 primers.

I’m thinking of trying some 777 3f powder using federal 209a primers. That’s all I have available. If I swab between shots will I eliminate the crud ring??
Yes, enough so one can reload anyway. Here lately been shooting 777 ignited by W209 primers, and a swab between shots allows for a reload. Have tried 777 primers hoping they eliminate the crud ring, but one still needs to swab in order to reload.

When shooting 777 powder it makes no difference what has been tried, one always need swab to reload.

Have tried pistol primers in the PR adapters, still had to swab to reload. Have tried the small primers in 25 acp cases, still had to swab to reload.

Am saving Blackhorn for hunting; these days. Am shooting 777, and swabbing between shots which works, works good.

Yes, enough so one can reload anyway. Here lately been shooting 777 ignited by W209 primers, and a swab between shots allows for a reload. Have tried 777 primers hoping they eliminate the crud ring, but one still needs to swab in order to reload.

When shooting 777 powder it makes no difference what has been tried, one always need swab to reload.

Have tried pistol primers in the PR adapters, still had to swab to reload. Have tried the small primers in 25 acp cases, still had to swab to reload.

Am saving Blackhorn for hunting; these days. Am shooting 777, and swabbing between shots which works, works good.
Thats good to know, since i am planning to try those same setups in a few different guns. I may habe to start shooting pyrodex since it still seems to be available all around here.

I don't shoot my inline very much, probably less than 40 shots over a 10 year period. I can get 2 shots off and then have to swab the barrel, but that is normally my range session. I use two 50g pellets of 777 behind a 250g saboted Hornady SST. Two shots to verify my scope is still on and range session over and I am ready to hunt. I've got a gently used CVA coming my way soon and I am hoping to find some Blackhorn eventually.

I shoot a lot of T7 with 209 primers and the 'crud ring' is something I do not really dread.

A couple of pointers use the coolest primer you can find - I used the old Remington 209-4 (for 410 shotguns for years) When they became unavailable, I went to the Winchester primers - first their ML 209 primer and then to the W209. The cooler the primer the less the 'crud ring' build up.

The second thing I found helpful is NOT using any products in the bore the used real petroleum products. I switched to totally synthetic oils in the bore and over time that has really helped reduced the 'crud ring' from being the problem it can be.

Normally, when shooting a range session - I do often open the breech and run a slightly damp blue Windex patch after a shot. The ring is there but really clean through plus the action of running the patch in the bore it causing air to be pushed through the 'Flash Channel' of the BP.

After I run the patch down and back up out of the bore. I now have what I refer to as a 'semi clean' bore - so then load up and shoot another round.

While hunting I can load 3 to 5 shots without the worry of a big build up of 'crud'

The key with the patches is really just a damp patch not a WET patch. Blue Windex with ammonia is a natural metal stripper so it really works well.

WinPatch.jpg

I swab between every shot. One damp patch, one dry. In a hunting situation, I can push another bullet down the barrel for a quick second shot, but that has never happened. I honestly can't tell much difference using the special 777 primers.

Exactly

I havent used pyrodex before, does it leave a crud ring when used with a 209 primer? Since its about the only powder left on most shelfs i may have to give it a try.

I have used a lot of Pyrodex and never noticed a crud ring. Lots of film on the entire length of the barrel but not a ring. Plan on swabbing between shots muzzy. Helps to point the muzzle down when swabbing.

I've been thinking about the crud ring for a while and wondered if putting T7 in combustible paper cartridges might help limit the crud ring. Anyone ever done the experiment?

I have been using Sabotloader's Windex method and it works great! Initially I had the patch too wet and using several dry patches through the bore, and I was getting hand fires; re-read his post in another thread and noticed the word "damp". So, I squeezed as much Windex out of the patch as I could and bingo.... no more hang fires due to Windex in the fire channel and only a couple of dry patches to dry the bore.

crud rings are a bummer! i think back when i had to deal with them i would pull the plug and run a brush first
and a damp not to wet of a patch of the mix down the bore and a dry patch between shots. that's what made
me change powders. now i shoot 20+ shots and never have to clean.

I have not experienced a crud ring with Pyrodex in my Omegas. In fact, that is the powder I went to. I can get 5 shots without swabbing (I typically go 3) if I have to; good to know if I am hunting.

that is real good! my gun has a tight chamber i dont think that would work for my accura. i tryed Pyrodex pellets
but still got the crud ring. i just got tired of playing around with the crud ring and cleaning.

Swab between each shot only takes 10 seconds… Definitely helps me with few things. Accuracy being one of them, I think.

Latest posts

Back