Switching a scope from rifle to muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I pulled the scope with rings attached off my 6.5 and placed it on the muzzleloader action and it seems to line up. Now I am wondering if it touch’s firmly on one part of the picatinny firmly and not so much the other. Visually it looks seated but will it make a difference microscopically or not. This seems anal!

What if..................

If you left the front ring cap completely alone like using it as a pilot. Loosen the rear cap screws, mount the scope and slide the front completely forward and lock in place. Then check the rear ring moving it forward in the rail, tighten the mount and cap.

I guess its just me, but I wouldn't swap scopes back and forth.

What i do is.

Install each ring (torqued to spec) seperate on the base. Pushing it as far forward as it will go in the rail before snugging it down. Then lay the scope in that and torque it to spec. If you did it that way (in theory) if you tighten them down the same you should be able to loosen just 1 ring and see if either ring can move forward.

This is part of the reason i like the dual lug picatinny rings. If anything is off the rings wont install on the rail. Plus the rings are wider. They have more contact area on the rail.

ATM Midway has a set of the TPS rings in extra low on clearance for $108. Thats a steal for those rings. If your base is tall they might fit upto a 50mm obj but i have not done the math. I might have to get a set and see if i can find a Veracity on sale now :D
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021740036
Height measured from the top of base to center of the ring. 30mm – S-Low: .820″

Last edited:
Yeah I think what I was hoping for is that I didn’t have to adjust the rings to fit each rifle. I guess it won’t be adjusted much if any. I’m getting 1/4” groups now out of the 6. PRC.

Has anyone ever tried using the same scope for your rifle and muzzleloader? My thought was that your not using both at the same time.
I currently have a custom 6.5 PRC built on a Defiance Ordinance action and a muzzleloader that I’m currently building that’s built off an Arrowhead action. The scope that’s on my 6.5 PRC is a Nightforce NXS 5.5~22x56. It’s a great scope and tracks perfect. A couple of months ago I purchased for the muzzleloader a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x50. Since it’s still new in the box I was thinking of selling it and just using that NXS for both guns.
Any thoughts?
I would/Ed

Latest posts

Back