T/C Black Diamond and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimP

Reaction score
I wonder if a reduced load, let's say 70grs. would be somewhat safe in a 50cal. Black Diamond XR?

I plan on using T7 but thought I would ask anyway.

Jim

I don't believe so. 209 requires and action that's either a bolt or break action or a gun with an enclosed breech. The T7 would be a good powder for that gun.

The manufacturer of BH209 makes it clear what types of inlines are suitable for that powder. There are no striker/ plunger fired inlines suitable for BH209.
Old Cayuga ( r.i.p. Dave ) once had to have a chunk of 209 primer removed from his forehead after he tried it.
I used to shoot T7 from my Diamond. Worked well. Holy Black ( Swiss) worked better. Lose the 209 module, its not necessary, and REALLY cruds up your action. Put in a #11 or musket nipple. Happiness will follow.
Good fortune to ya

Will the #11 & musket nipples work with the 209 striker, and are they the same nipples used in the T/C side locks?

Thanks
Jim

Yup. No problem. I had great results with Tresco #11 nipples. Long lived and they don't beat up the striker face.
Additionally, I got 100 fps more speed ( chronographed, not guessed)with the single port Trescos than I did with the 3 port " Flamethrowers" that came with the rifle. A lot less breech fouling too. For sealing the powder charge against dampness while hunting, I put a bit of white plumber's tape over the end of the nipple. Powder side that is. The cap blast bows through it. Ignition is 100%
You can use musket nipples/ caps,( I did for years) but for most applications, they're expensive and a bit wasteful

I have a #11 non flame thrower nipple and a new musket cap nipple. Musket caps around here are as rare as hens teeth, unless they're the low powered ones for re-enactment use.

Thanks for the advice.
Jim

Latest posts

Back