T/C customer dis-service!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusticbob

Reaction score
Bought a brand new T/C Triumph a few weeks ago. Shot it this past weekend, and it shot very accurately with T7 and Shock Wave Sabots. The problem was with using Winchester 209 primers it took two hands to lock up the action, but the primers ignited properly. Federal primers closed up easily with minimal effort.
When I got back home I used a caliper on the primers, and yes indeed, the Winchester 209’s were .02 longer than the Federals. I figured T/C had a bad breech plug so I called customer service and spoke to some lady there who told me yes, some customers have complained about that, and I should not use Winchester primers! I told her I wanted a new breech plug, one that would accept easily ANY brand of primer and she said no, every gun is different! I explained the difficulty of finding any primers in my area, and I did not want to have to search for any specific brand. She basically told me tough ****! They will not supply another breech plug.!
I told her this would be my last T/C or Smith &Wesson product, but she did not seem to care. With customer service like this it’s probably a good thing that T/C is getting out of the muzzleloader business. This is a far cry from the great customer service I received when T/C was in Rochester,NH.

Measure 100 W209 primers, within that box of 100 they will vary as much as .003 - .005 . Other brands vary some too but not as much as the W209 .

So since they would not make you 1 custom plug for free you give them a bad review? Well you wont find ANY major ML maker that will make you a custom plug FREE. Try using any Euro primer in many USA made MLs....MOST WONT FIT. They are too large OD. Only the Cheddites would fit my Knights and the blowby was horrible.

So i guess i should give Knight a bad review since my NSI 209-686/688 primers wont fit. 🙄

So since they would not make you 1 custom plug for free you give them a bad review? Well you wont find ANY major ML maker that will make you a custom plug FREE. Try using any Euro primer in many USA made MLs....MOST WONT FIT. They are too large OD. Only the Cheddites would fit my Knights and the blowby was horrible.

So i guess i should give Knight a bad review since my NSI 209-686/688 primers wont fit. 🙄
Never said I wanted a “custom breechplug”, I just want one that will work with ALL standard 209 primers. It should be the Companies job to make sure they will fit all std primers. Nowhere in the owners manual, brochure or box say it “ might not” work with Winchester primers, that info came from the “customer dis-service babe! Where did you ever get the idea I was asking for anything other than what should have come with this rifle?

Never said I wanted a “custom breechplug”, I just want one that will work with ALL standard 209 primers. It should be the Companies job to make sure they will fit all std primers. Nowhere in the owners manual, brochure or box say it “ might not” work with Winchester primers, that info came from the “customer dis-service babe! Where did you ever get the idea I was asking for anything other than what should have come with this rifle?
Aint happening do more research/reading even my Paramount needed a certain length so I sort using my calipers to find what works (I did) but only getting to know what the gun liked . You've heard I'm sure about each gun has its own preferences , Thanks to the internet ,and not for nothing don't blame the maker blame who caused the shortages/Ed

Never said I wanted a “custom breechplug”, I just want one that will work with ALL standard 209 primers. It should be the Companies job to make sure they will fit all std primers.
Actually your beef isn't with the rifle maker, it is with the primer makers. Different primer manufacturer make their primer different length. USA made primers vary from 0.293" to 0.304". Shortest ones are too loose; longest ones you consider too tight.

Your rifle has to "crush" the Winchester primers in order to go into battery. You could look at this as a "good" thing. Those 'crushed' primers will make a far better seal than the primers that are too short. The 'crushed' primer will provide "clean" ignition. Loose primers allow for blow by around the primer, and crud up the breech plug, and the innards of the rifle.

Most shooters on this forum would probably be bragging, not complaining, if they had an issue of 'tight' primers.

You may find it ironic that many shooters on this forum have intentionally paid good money for a breech plug that "crushes" primers when the rifle is put into battery.

One could be bragging, not crying........

Myself have only shot a few loads from a Triumph, thus may not remember correctly how the firing pin bushing installs.

It seems one could remove the firing pin bushing, and install a shim which would increase the head space, and make it easier to close the action on those longish primers. Perhaps leaving the bushing a tad loose, and hold it in place with loc-tite would work??

I never thought about the tight fitting or “crushed” primer. I guess some more testing with a chrony is in order , but after hunting season for sure. Thanks all for your input. That’s why us “old timers” come to this forum.38D33975-EA74-4740-841D-C2EA60277C07.jpeg

I’ve read where some folks pre-crush their primers before hunting so it’s not an issue in the heat of the moment hunting (breech not closing completely keeps some models from firing)

Hello rusticbob, hope the crush makes your gun better! On a side note, that AMERICAN flag deserves a big "WOW", absolutely gorgeous, super display of patriotism. I would love to have one like that for my home. Could you tell us how you did it. Thank you kindly shorty...

The flag I made was years ago, but if I remember correctly it was a 3x4 sheet of pt plywood, probably 1/2”. The white lines and stars are birch bark from my wood lot, red and blue acrylic paint, and alder twigs. Took a long time to make, and because I hung it outdoors on the garage it didn’t last too long. I have always wanted to make another, smaller one to hang inside, maybe this winter when hunting season is over.D985A7C8-23E3-446E-9C9F-1D6CD11E7B96.jpeg

Such has not been my experience with TC. After shooting a Renegade for 14 years, my elk hunt went about as bad weather wise as possible: rain and fog continuously for 5 days. Except when it hailed. The stock cracked at the wrist. I called customer service (this would be about 1992). I was friendly and nice and told them that what I really wanted was a new stock, that I really liked the rifle. I got an offer of a new stock. Cool.

Then the stock factory burnt down. So they offered me a whole new rifle: pick whatever you want. What I got did not shoot near as well as my sidelock and I sold it at a profit (with full disclosure).

But I make it a practice to start every CS call call with, "I'm going to give you the nicest moments of your day." Because CS people are paid to get abused. And even if they say "no" it's not worth ruining my own day by ruining theirs. Snarkimax takes energy..

Bought a brand new T/C Triumph a few weeks ago. Shot it this past weekend, and it shot very accurately with T7 and Shock Wave Sabots. The problem was with using Winchester 209 primers it took two hands to lock up the action, but the primers ignited properly. Federal primers closed up easily with minimal effort.
When I got back home I used a caliper on the primers, and yes indeed, the Winchester 209’s were .02 longer than the Federals. I figured T/C had a bad breech plug so I called customer service and spoke to some lady there who told me yes, some customers have complained about that, and I should not use Winchester primers! I told her I wanted a new breech plug, one that would accept easily ANY brand of primer and she said no, every gun is different! I explained the difficulty of finding any primers in my area, and I did not want to have to search for any specific brand. She basically told me tough ****! They will not supply another breech plug.!
I told her this would be my last T/C or Smith &Wesson product, but she did not seem to care. With customer service like this it’s probably a good thing that T/C is getting out of the muzzleloader business. This is a far cry from the great customer service I received when T/C was in Rochester,NH.
TC used to be the best company there was lifetime warranty that really meant something. Then absorbed into corporation went to crap then and last I read out of business. Sad shape of our country and lost past ethics

Smith and Wesson is in the process of trying to divest T/C which equals sell it off. I wouldn't expect much for customer service from them in the mean time.

Smith and Wesson is in the process of trying to divest T/C which equals sell it off. I wouldn't expect much for customer service from them in the mean time.

Being blocked at work and can't find it now, but last I saw that T/C was being bought by another division of Smith and Wesson. ???

Just looked on the TC website. The Triumph is gone, they quit on the Strike a while ago. Looks like they are down to the Encore and the Impact.

Last edited:
Being blocked at work and can't find it now, but last I saw that T/C was being bought by another division of Smith and Wesson. ???
https://www.guns.com/news/2021/05/04/s-and-w-to-sell-thompson-center
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...vest-thompsoncenter-arms-brand-301282504.html
definition of divest- rid oneself of something that one no longer wants or requires, such as a business interest or investment.

All employees are being retained by S&W, so it could be a huge learning curve for a purchasing company.

Just looked on the TC website. The Triumph is gone, they quit on the Strike a while ago. Looks like they are down to the Encore and the Impact.
I haven't seen an available Encore frame of rifle for 2yrs. I think SW bailed on them and don't understand the logic on such a popular platform. I just recently acquired an old one in like new cond. that my wife bought from an older lady for $change. Needless to say I am a happy camper, It was a Christmas present. There are some on GB if you want to be violated.

Latest posts

Back