T/C en ore 209x50 accuracy pronlem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMT480

Reaction score
I have a brand new Tc encore 50 cal. Shot it for the first time today. After 30 plus bullets down range. It shoots 4-6 inches left of bullseye. 250 300 gr shockwave, 295 power belt. Federal and barnes bullets as well. Powder charges 100 130 150. Rear sight adjusted to the max. White hot pellets triple 7 pyrodex. Also tried pyrodex loose powder. All combos produced left of bullseye impacts. HELP!!

Tap your front sight over in the dovetail. Follow the shots, shooting left, move left

That is bizarre. I just looked it up. I think every gun I have that has sights, has a front dovetailed bead. Usually in a ramp. You have to tap the bead out to get to the second screw in the ramp to remove it.
Is the gun grouping well? Did the group move when you moved the sight? Do the sights appear centered on the barrel? Pull the barrel and set it on something so it can't roll, with the breechplug out, look through the bore at a mark on a wall then look through the sights to see if they're lined up, if they are the QLA if present, may be throwing the shot to the left, usually not a problem shooting sabot's.
I'd call TC and see what they have to say. They'll probably have you send it back and send you a new one. That's what they used to do anyway several years ago.

Group was decent. Group did not move when sights were adjusted. Constant 4-6 inches left of bullseye. Elevation seems good. Did not adjust it much. Sights appear straight on barrel. Rear sight is by design spring loaded and not solid it can be pushed and it will travel to the right. Spring snaps it back to its adjusted point. Thompson says to send it back for evaluation. 2-3 weeks. My elk trip is in 2!

How far to the target? I can’t hardly believe the groups didn’t move as you moved the sight. Are you sure the sight really moved? May be a dumb question but, seems like some have a set screw you have to loosen before making adjustments and then tighten back down. Does yours have this? And did you loosen it? Try going all the way the other way with the sight and see if the group moves, just a dumb experiment to see if it’s really moving. You might just have to aim to the right a touch this year, and send it off after your hunt.
An elk has a huge vital zone and by just compensating with your point of aim. You can get it done.
Dad had an old Remington pump .22 that I shot growing up that shot to the left about 2”. I didn’t know about moving the front bead and just learned to hold to the right with it. A lot of small critters fell to that gun.
Not the best case scenario for you at this time, but with two weeks left. You’re quickly running out of options.
Try the trick here at the top of the article to see if things are moving as they should. I do this with a new scope and it works really well. Just never thought of doing it with iron sights.
https://en.m.wikiversity.org/wiki/How_to_adjust_an_iron_sight

Installed a new Williams peep sight. 4 shots at 50yds got into the bullseye. 4 shots at 100yds right where I want to be.

TC has long installed ratty rear sights on their muzzleloaders. Bought my Encore in 2005. First thing i did was trash the sights. Luckily, i'm allowed to use a scoped muzzleloader in Oklahoma. Some folks don't have that option.

Latest posts

Back