T/c hawken rifle's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not shot my Hawkens in some years but when I was, I used 3f Goex, 70 grains for normal shooting and 90 for hunting, a Walmart pillow ticking patch(bought a cheap couple yards and cut my own), Hornady round balls, and either just spit or a homemade lube of deer tallow and real Neatsfoot oil. The tallow was rendered from a nice doe I shot and mixed 50/50 with the Neatsfoot I got from Tandy Leather. Worked great. For cleaning I used a mix of Murphy's oil soap and alcohol, lightly on a patch for swabbing, and heavy if I was actually cleaning. If your patches are burning up you need better lube.

I just finished cleaning the 54 hawken. I was out trying the lube mix Renegadehunter put in his post, except I added 1/2 part murphy's oil soap, and had very good patterns with it. 4 shots in 2 1/4" at 75 yds. on the bench, using the moose milk mix I did the same.
Point is I don't see the need for the which hazel and the water, in fact the alcohol and castor- soap mix didn't separate like the moose milk does. The takeaway is it loads just as easy as the milk mix and is every bit as accurate and loads like a dream, so no need for water and the which hazel IMHO. Give it a try you might like it.
coupe

With a 54 renegade I use 80gr 2fGoex or 70 of 3 f on PRB 90 with conicals I use bulk .018 blue pillow ticking that I wash To remove sizing. I cut at muzzle use Ballistol and water as a dry lube patch and as a lube to swab between shots (Dutch Shoultz method) I have a heavy brass cleaning rod for cleaning between shots and loading consistency is key

Hey Gents,
I have been shooting black powder since the mid 70's and untill I got this barrel rebored to 54 by Bobby Hoyt I always avoided the cloth patch. I had 50 cal. t/c hawken and a 58 zouave, the 50 never had great accuracy with the patch. It was 1:48 and ok with the maxi but no good on round ball till I used the buttler creek poly with a 500 ball...then it was a tack driver at 100 yds. but problems with ball migration stopped production. Now with the 54 a cloth patch shoots great and is not shreded to tatters. This is the first time I can try something I have read many times "the patches look so good you could almost use them again". I gathered all my patches from the last shoot and washed them and relubed to await the trial. Why? cause I just want to try it, never had any good ones to work with before what the heck why not. The douglas xx 50 cal I built when I sold the t/c and zouave had a 1:70 twist still ripped patches thats the one rebored because of very rough machine galling in the rifleing, Bob even said the barrel should have never left the factory like that (hey I was younger and dumb enough not to check the bore till it was to late) I'll leave an update.

Update: shot 3 once used patches after washing and re-lubing the shots were spread a little but still good enough to hunt with much to my surprise. One showed some shredding at the lands areas in two places and showed at the #2 shot placement but still a solid shot for hunting at 75-100 yds.The other 2 were solid I wanted to do more but got rained out, it was fun but I don't think it is a best choice idea to ensure a dependable shot group.

Attachments

• 20190311_123624.jpg
    20190311_123624.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8
I have found swabbing between shots with a windex dampened patch followed by a dry patch works good for me. It makes the loading process easier and gives me more consistency. Each round is fired from a relatively equal bore. A couple of other things that make your groups better is ball weight (many weigh them and try to keep them within a half grain. Consistency in seating the ball also.

Update on the .54 cal I swabbed with #13 between each shot and had good results with RB and .018 ticking patch. I played around with different charges 2f goex and had some hornady GPB. I was able to get 2 accurate shots before clean with these and a lubed wad. This barrel does have some neglect (pitting) in the bore but rifling still decent... I worked on the bore trying to clean and polish best to my ability but I'm getting good results with my work. I read hornady has discontinued the .54 GPB so I'm going to try maxi balls next. I'm trying to hunt down some1 to cast me some REAL 385gr conicals to try. Local shop said he'll have mini's casted for hunting season. I found 5 boxes of hornady GPB on line that I bought to store away.

I am casting my own 445 gr lead conicals. I use a 1/8 " wad under the conical. They cast at .504. I run them through a .502 sizer. I am shooting right at 80 vol of Black MZ which I heard is discontinued. But 80 Goex should be fine. You can go on up to 90 if you dont mind your shoulder tore off. I'm not sure on the Triple 7. If ignition no problem I would think 70 to 80 vol would work. Ok, we talking the 50 cal. Using open peep sight at 100 yards no problem putting 3 shots in 4 inch kill zone.
I personally prefer a fowling shot prior to shooting for score at the range or woodswalk competition.

I either shoot a ball into the berm or patch my ramrod with the muzzleloader not loaded and snap a cap thus creating a thin layer of residue. Also burns out any oil left over in the fire channel .

I use a spit patch of pillow ticking cut at the muzzle. I personally don’t swab between shots during woodswalk’s. I do swab at the range about every 3rd or 4th shot.

Always works for me?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Back