T/C Omega nonsabotted load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

970_lly

Reaction score
I just picked up my first muzzleloader(Omega 50 cal) after lots of lurking this forum and others. Have a couple muzzleloader tags as well. I’m aware of the QLA “issues” with nonsabotted bullets in the Omegas. If anyone has a load that is CO legal and uses BH209, I would greatly appreciate it! I can start buying various bullets and waste a lot of time and $ by the time I find something it likes, so just looking for a few starting points.

They are legal. A local store has some platinums and ELR’s I may try through it

Last week I shot the 450, 545, and the 620 bullets from Mr Hollowpoint.
Out of a 1/28 twist , 209 primer

The 450 shot with 80 and 100g T7
545 shot with 80, 100, 120g T7
620 shot with 80g T7

All shot to the same hole

1624617575132.png

I just picked up my first muzzleloader(Omega 50 cal) after lots of lurking this forum and others. Have a couple muzzleloader tags as well. I’m aware of the QLA “issues” with nonsabotted bullets in the Omegas. If anyone has a load that is CO legal and uses BH209, I would greatly appreciate it! I can start buying various bullets and waste a lot of time and $ by the time I find something it likes, so just looking for a few starting points.
Look at THOR Bullets. They have a sizing kit to determine which fits your bore the best.

I’m aware of the QLA “issues” with nonsabotted bullets in the Omegas.
Issues of the QLA are easily solved by using the Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base.

We each carried Omega rifle this past hunting season, and both were accurate with full bore 50 caliber bullets.

Each rifle was loaded with 95 grain Blackhorn, Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base, 275 grain Fury Star Tip Mz 50 caliber bullet, Federal 209A primer. Both rifles put deer in the freezer using this load.

Had we been elk hunting, we would have loaded the 320g Fury Star Tip 50 caliber. The boy used the Omega with an FP peep sight. The other Omega has a 1X scope, because the old guy cannot focus on the front sight.

The load, and Omega with the FP sight are Colorado legal.

I have set up the same gun, for the same purpose. I am very happy with the initial results. 70g BH209 by weight, ballistic bridge, Fury 285g universal, federal 209a primer. Williams FP peep rear, Lyman 17a front, lee shaver fine crosshair insert. Initial testing is very promising with an estimated zero of 120 yds, point and shoot out to 150, 10" low at 200. Chronograph will be next week.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I’ll see what all I can find locally and may order in some items. I’ll probably give an update to this thread with what performed best and some grouping pics for future reference to anyone who’s interested.

I really like the look of the 460 and the 550 solids.
Im trying to encourage some of the elk hunters to give them a try. Mr Hollowpoint will custom size and I believe he will add alloys for different hardness if needed. Gotta think that going through an elk is going to do some damage. FYI he sizes mine to .503.

Really nice cause I can just about put any of the 3 bullets with any reasonable amount of powder and go hunting. Ill likely stick to the 450. If you want a few muzzy Ill bring some when we meet.

Back