T/C Omega with a tight bore..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
My guess is that this has probably been posted before but I was unable to find it. The problem my father(therefore I) have is that my father's older Omega is really tough to load according to him. He currently uses BH209, unsure of amount, and Barnes 285gr Spitfires. I've given him some Harvester Crush rib sabots meang for the Barnes but he says that it's still tougher to load than he likes. He has been muzzleloader hunting for 20+years so he knows what it takes to load it but he has been complaining lately. I don't think he is set on any bullet but I am looking for a lighter loading suggestions. I am going to take his muzzleloader during the off season and clean the hell out of it and try to find a better loading bullet for him... any suggestions? I am open to pretty much anything...except Powerbelts...ha. thanks in advance.

My omega will shoot the Barnes spitfires lights out but they are a bear to load..switched to the tez and it was enough difference loading that it was tolerable and kept a good groups dowrsnge. And still kept the same great Barnes performance

Thanks for the replies. I was on another forum and they recommended that I try some Harvester Crush Rib Sabots. I called Harvester and Ron recommended that I try their 260gr. PT Gold bullets with the black crushed rib sabot. He also said that if I was shooting longer distances that I should try their 300gr White Lightning bullets.. when I can steal my father's muzzleloader and get to the range I will follow up to pass along the results. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season

Good luck, some buddies had some tighter bores in their T/Cs.

You should be able to mix & match sabots & bullets to get the right fit, Harvestor will set you right.

You can experiment with bore fit at home, push it in then out. There is no need to go real deep while testing. No need for powder or anything, test before the range trip.

Barnes 290gr TEZ (blue sabot which is an MMP HPH24) load great in my TC Omega.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I know that I have some of the MMP HPH24'S and some HPH12'S. I shoot Barnes but the ones that I shoot are the spitfire boat-tails, not sure I have any flat base Barnes... I will have to look.

I had one omega years ago that I never found a bullet and sabot combination to fit without having to hammer down the bore. Ended up buying a .451 sizing die and tried about every sabot harvester and MMP, made and still was hard to load.

Sent it to Sabotloader as he thought he could find a combo and also run some JB bore paste and it still was tight. I gave up and ended selling it...

I’ve owned 5-6 Omega’s over the years and that’s the only one that I ever had a problem with.

I used a smooth size die put the bullet through it and used crush rib sabots on a tight bore I had made loading way better depending on the bullets spring back may be a problem

Thanks for the replies. I was on another forum and they recommended that I try some Harvester Crush Rib Sabots. I called Harvester and Ron recommended that I try their 260gr. PT Gold bullets with the black crushed rib sabot. He also said that if I was shooting longer distances that I should try their 300gr White Lightning bullets.. when I can steal my father's muzzleloader and get to the range I will follow up to pass along the results. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season
Yep the white lightnings !!!!!! Those are fabulous !!!!!! My buddy has new accura thats nitrided and his bore is TIGHT !!! Tried desperately to make a barnes work but couldnt , at least to satisfaction . But those harvesters sure did !!! Very easy to load and pounded the bullseye at 171yds !!!! They are a KEEPER !!!!!

With Rainier out of business...I wonder who will be making bullets for Harvester in the future. Its just a Rainier bullet with a poly tip added. I used to buy their 50cal 335gr HPs for under $30/100 shipped. That poly tip sure adds a ton to the cost.

My Omega loads just right, nice and snug, not hammer tight, with .452 300gr XTP's using Harvester short black sabots over BH 209. Deadly, accurate, easy to find, and inexpensive. Alas...yours may be different.

With Rainier out of business...I wonder who will be making bullets for Harvester in the future. Its just a Rainier bullet with a poly tip added. I used to buy their 50cal 335gr HPs for under $30/100 shipped. That poly tip sure adds a ton to the cost.
Uh oh.....thats not good . Those were good bullets . I didnt know all this....

I have been using Power Belt bullets with two 50 grain pellets with great results. Either 295 grain or 300 work good. load as they should.

Uh oh.....thats not good . Those were good bullets . I didnt know all this....

Funny part was...When you could buy Rainier HPs at Cabelas they were dirt cheap. Like 1/4th the cost that Harvester wanted for the regular Scorpion without the tips. A few years back Harvester sold out the 40cal 200gr "funnel points". I called wanting to buy like 500 of them. I could have bought like 2000 of them from Rainier for what i was quoted....This was for the exact same bullet Rainier used to sell before they got into a contract deal with Harvester. Same thing happened with the Rainier 45cal HPs. They quit selling them not long after Harvester started calling them Scorpions.

The last sale at Midway for the Rainier 50-335gr HP were just under $20/100. I never paid over $25/100 for them even walking into Grafs.

Funny part was...When you could buy Rainier HPs at Cabelas they were dirt cheap. Like 1/4th the cost that Harvester wanted for the regular Scorpion without the tips. A few years back Harvester sold out the 40cal 200gr "funnel points". I called wanting to buy like 500 of them. I could have bought like 2000 of them from Rainier for what i was quoted....This was for the exact same bullet Rainier used to sell before they got into a contract deal with Harvester. Same thing happened with the Rainier 45cal HPs. They quit selling them not long after Harvester started calling them Scorpions.

The last sale at Midway for the Rainier 50-335gr HP were just under $20/100. I never paid over $25/100 for them even walking into Grafs.
Man that was a great deal !!!! Who is making Harvester's bullets now ??? Theyve recently introduced the 44cal White Lightening . My buddy Loves them !!! Much better bc , half as much bullet drop at 200yds !!! They gonna be gone ??? Kinda sounds like the contract pen killed the guys who made harvester bullets a success !!! Lovely....

Last edited:
I had one omega years ago that I never found a bullet and sabot combination to fit without having to hammer down the bore. Ended up buying a .451 sizing die and tried about every sabot harvester and MMP, made and still was hard to load.

Sent it to Sabotloader as he thought he could find a combo and also run some JB bore paste and it still was tight. I gave up and ended selling it...

I’ve owned 5-6 Omega’s over the years and that’s the only one that I ever had a problem with.
White ultra fine scotchbrite wrapped around a bore brush THEN fine polish paste . Nice......

Latest posts

Back