T/C vs CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCLECKLER

Reaction score
Hello all, first post to the site. Been looking around to see where I can get some insite in the sport of ML and this seems like the best place to be. :lol: I have aquired bonus points that I have applied toward Bass Pro Shops gift cards. I'm thinking that I want to get a ML with it. Store will be opening next month in my hometown so I'm trying to get some information before hand. With that being said I would like to get your input on T/C vs CVA, would like to have the option of adding a centerfire barrel to it later and its my understanding that both the Omega and Optima Pro has interchangable barrels. Never fired or been around ML before. :wall: Your input is very much appreciated.

The T/C Omega does not have interchangeable barrels. It is a muzzleloader only. They are very nice and accurate rifles if you are wanting a muzzleloader only. The T/C Encore has the option of many different barrels and configurations. It would be my first choice if I were wanting a ML that I could swap out barrels on it. The Encore is kinda pricey but it would be worth the money in the long run. If you decide that you just want a ML only, then I'd go with the Omega over the CVA's.

The difference between the two rifles... I am not going to tell you of all the bad comments about CVA. They are on line, you can read them for yourself. There were quality issues and whether there still are I do not know.

I own several CVA rifles both traditional and one inline rifle and it is a good shooter without question. BUT, I never push it to the max loads it claims the rifle can handle. I guess that is the deal I made with my head that makes me feel safe.

CVA/BPI (Winchester, New Frontier, etc) have good customer service.
I have used the BPI customer service many times. Some rifles more then I care to mention. But they have always fixed the rifle for free. All it cost me was shipping to send it to them. My grief is, why should a new rifle need to go back to the factory as soon as I purchase it, for something that should have been checked at the factory... Maybe they have quality control issues?

I also own several Thompson Center rifles, traditional and inlines. Without question they are a great rifle. Their customer service is excellent, although seldom used. I had to send in a rifle once. I broke the stock and they replaced the stock for free. My fault the stock broke, but they still fixed it.

I am not into the changing out barrels on rifles but if I had to choose between an Encore or a Optima that would be easy. The Encore hands down. The Encore is a very highly recommended rifle. They are accurate, easy to care for, just like I am sure the Optima is. After all, the Optima was based on the Encore design. Thompson Center is the leader in rifle design along with Knight. They make a rifle, it sells great, and every other company makes a somewhat copy of the rifle.

Like I said, I am not into changing out barrels because I no longer care to hunt with center fire rifles. I hunt everything with a muzzleloader. Also I do not like the Encore/Optima design of the stock. I have no reason why. I like their looks, but do not like the way they feel.

Good luck on your choice. I guess your pocketbook will be the best judge of what you want in a rifle..

If you are wanting to shoot conicals, I would not recommend the Omega or any of the T/C rifles with a QLA. They are great sabot shooters, but hit or miss whether they will shoot conicals.

Back