T/C Westerner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdy

Reaction score
I recently picked up a T/C Black Mountain Magnum Westerner in .54 caliber. On the first range session I was shooting Hornady Great Plains conicals with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Unfortunately, after 18 shots I noticed cracks forming on the stock in the tang area. One crack on top and another on the left side. I made a repair with pins and epoxy but the cracks opened on the second range session. I am considering stock replacement but google searches can’t locate for this specific model. I’ve read in older posts that the BM Westerner is essentially a New Englander. Is that true will my BM Westerner barrel fit a New Englander stock?

Should go right in a New Englander stock. When ya put yer parts in the new stock be sure to get the tang tight but don’t over-tighten the lock bolt. All it needs is just a smidge past snug. Also, if the barrel is ‘springy’ loosen the tang ‘til ya install the barrel then snug it down. Might need to put a bit of beddin’ compound if ya hafta loosen it very much. Might could find a synthetic stock to eliminate crackin’ porblems.

Bubba.50 Knows What he’s talking about with these things :lewis: I use to have a Synthetic New Englander Stock, A Little Black Durable Plastic Looking Stock. i Just couldn’t learn to like it, I much prefer the looks, and feel of Wood. That said, You wouldn’t have to Worry about breaking 1 of the Synthetic New Englander Stocks, they are Tough! Keep an eye out on Ebay, i see Both the Synthetic and Wood Stocks on their Often

Non exactly sure how the Black Mountain trigger group is set up, but guessing it is similar to the White Mountain Carbine. Have successfully reinforced and/or repaired those stocks by replacing the wood screws holding the tang in place with machine screws that were drilled and tapped into the trigger assembly.

Thanks boomer. The front screw (muzzle end) is already threaded to the trigger guard. The rear is a wood screw. I did another repair. I reapplied glue and used a different clamp fixture this time. I was able to apply more pressure with this clamp. If that doesn’t work I may try your suggestion for the remaining wood screw. Alternatively I may have to pay up and buy a replacement stock.

Are the TC stocks inherently weak at his location? I don’t think the screws were over tight and I was shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. While 100 grains was stout it was well within load limits. The manual lists loads all the way to 150 grains.

TC changed their design sometime in the 1990s I believe on their sidelocks from just wood screws holding the barrel tang to the stock to having a machine screw going through the tang/stock, which threaded into trigger plate or guard. Helped eliminate stock cracking some were experiencing.

I found a Grey Hawk stock online. Will the BM Westerner barrel fit that stock?

Back