T7 from Volume to Weight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightnut2000

Reaction score
So we know that when we want to weigh out our powder charge in BH 209 we take our powder volume and multiple that by
.700 to find out what we need for a weighed charge.
But if we are weighing charge's of T7 should our weighed and Volume charges be the same.
( IE )
100gr by Volume would be
100gr by Weight on a grain scale
This may help someone who is new to muzzleloading.
Talk to use O wise ones. Lol

The VOLUME to WEIGHT conversion multiplier for Triple Se7en loose powder can vary a bit. It was originally thought to be where Triple Se7en got it's name.

100 grains by VOLUME = 77.7 grains be WEIGHT.

That would make the multiplier .777, but depending on Lot# humidity, storage practices, powder measure used, scale calibration, it could be closer to .75 for the multiplier. FFg will be different from FFFg.

Best way to figure it out for your measure and scale, is to measure out 5 or 10 100 grain VOLUMETRIC charges, WEIGH them all, then average them out.

Move the decimal to the left two places, and that will be your multiplier.

I always weigh my BH209 charges at 70% per volume weight.

But I’ve gone back and weighed the previous year’s left over charges and found them to me a tad lighter. I assume the BH209 dries out over time therefore making it weigh a tad lighter.

The VOLUME to WEIGHT conversion multiplier for Triple Se7en loose powder can vary a bit. It was originally thought to be where Triple Se7en got it's name.

100 grains by VOLUME = 77.7 grains be WEIGHT.

That would make the multiplier .777, but depending on Lot# humidity, storage practices, powder measure used, scale calibration, it could be closer to .75 for the multiplier. FFg will be different from FFFg.

Best way to figure it out for your measure and scale, is to measure out 5 or 10 100 grain VOLUMETRIC charges, WEIGH them all, then average them out.

Move the decimal to the left two places, and that will be your multiplier.

That is how I figured it out, started weighing all my loads this Spring, groups gotten better, but I didn't see any deer.

So you guys that are wanting a more accurate powder charge with T7 fffg use the
.777 as your multiplier and this is what you should be getting in a weighed out charge using your grain scale.
Example
100gr volume
X .777 = 77.7gr in weight
If it were me I would just round it up to 78gr.
Or down to 77gr and see how my accuracy was then you can play around with it to see what gives you the best accuracy in your gun
Thanks OL WISE ONES :dance::dance:

Latest posts

Back