T7 Pellets VS White Hots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milwroad

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloaders and wonder if anyone else has noticed anything similar. My Optima V2 shoots Hornady 300 Grain SSTs, Hornady 240 grain XTP and 250 grain Powerbelts "roughly" to same point of aim with either two 777 Pellets or two White Hot pellets. I do a quick clean of the barrel after every shot. Today I tried Hornady 290 grain Bore Drivers with White Hots and I shot about a 1.5" group at 100 yards. I was happy with that! For the fun of it I cleaned the barrel and fired the same Bore Driver bullet with 777 pellets to see if I could use either powder and I did not even hit the 2' x 3' target! Tried it again. Same result. Called my friend over to watch, took another shot. He said I was way low. The 777 was shooting about 2' below the White hots. Anybody else seen this sort of thing? Obviously my rifle is very particular to the two different pellets when using the Bore Drivers.

I have shot them side by side years ago and they were pretty similar for velocity... point of impact was different and the whitehots actually shot a touch better. This was back when I first started using an in-line and was trying a few different things. I would have to think if your that low you aren’t getting a complete burn for some reason

Are the 777 pellets new/fresh, or have they been sitting for an extended period of time?

I think fresh but I am wondering now. Bought them from leading reloading company on the internet about a moth ago. Something went haywire. I am going to tryo thngs again this week.

Are you crushing them when you seat the bullet on top? I can't help much as I switched from 777 pellets to 777 powder a few years ago.

Don't think so but i will watch that closely when I retry 777 pellets this week. Has to be a powder issue as White Hots continued to shoot to same POA. Also going to try some Blackhorn /

after you load with the t7 pellets, take the breech plug out( before firing) and see the condition of the pellets, crushed or whole and that will give you a quick answer on what may be going on...

Who owns IMR? Hodgdon.
So I just found out...nothing like being nearly 20 years behind the times! I didn't know Dupont sold the brand. I stand corrected. Well regardless, having used both I don't find them to be the same at all. White Hots burn cleaner and shoot better for me that 777 pellets. Personally I shoot BH209 exclusively but I have played around with the 2 already mentioned as well as Blue MZ from Alliant. My brother has a Traditions Vortek Strikerfire VAPR and it does it's best with White Hots and Bore Driver FTX bullets. He won't even try BH209.

Last edited:
I have found white hots to have a gritty fouling but less crud ring than 777 pellets. But switching over to a muzzleloading 209 vs standard 209 significantly reduces crud ring and fouling.

I have found white hots to store better over time, probably due to individual tubes being more resistant to moisture in the air vs the 777 case being less likely to have an air tight seal.

Back