Tag Soup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No Buck this year. I had the Knight Disc 50, I had the tag in a coveted area...I had deer in front of the gun...but the bucks I saw were club/valley bucks...the 2x2 and 3x3 that my wife and grand daughters had named and had pics of...the bucks that look in the window of the cabin as they pass by in the morning...it would have been an act of filling the tag to shoot one of those bucks...it wouldn't have been hunting...so no buck...I hunted the edges of the property I hunted the edges of the unit, but if not for club bucks, there were no bucks to be located by me...I did have a bull moose in my sights...no tag for moose.

It was great to get out with a Muzzle loader and I will do it again next year hopefully with a better outcome

:)

Sorry Bloodhound. No matter how dedicated a hunter, how much effert we inject, sometimes its just not our turn to be successful. You did the right thing and in another hunt you will be rewarded. Now your 1 year closer to the buck you want.

Anyone can be a deer shooter I respect the deer hunter,, I've had many seasons where I just watched ,waiting for the right deer and the right shot, we have three and a half months of deer hunting in Texas,,last 5-10 years I've seen more good deer at the end of the season than at the beginning during the rut,, most hunters have already shot their deer or just given up,,I do like hunting a specific deer if it's possible too rather than just any deer that happens along my location,most of the individual bucks I've hunted the last 20 years were not caught on game camera I learned they were in the area by spending hour after hour in their area not that I have anything against game cameras I think they're great,, I let them walk ,,the bucks ,,there's always a cull or a management type deer around where I live and where I hunt if I just need some meat that I can put on the ground. Good hunting bloodhound!!

Walmart here in Rochester is pathetic. A few years back some numbnuts came into one of the stores and asked to see a shotgun. The person behind the counter was some nitwit with zero experience in handling weapons let alone showing one. The party wanting to "look" at the gun had apparently opened a box of shells on a shelf and loaded the gun then went nuancing thru th store with it and finally stopped by law enforcement at the front entry. If memory serves me right the idiot discharged the gun in the store, not hurting anyone, but still. Now you can buy LOADED ammunition if there is anyone around to help you get into the locked case its in and if you're looking for something to shoot it with you'll have to go elsewhere. Zero muzzleloader anything in both of our stores now, which is about right for the bleeding heart capital of Minnesota....well almost the capital. So if you have a Walmart that sells anything that goes bang other than roll caps consider yourself lucky. On a positive note, Walmart does sell $1.00 loaves of wheat French bread that are super delicious and are cheaper on out decaf coffee than any other store in town so they do get a wee bit of my business....but that's it.

We have a Mills Fleet Farm and a Scheels that has anything that I need. My Winchester primers are about $4.00/box of 100 and cheaper yet by the 1000. BH is $34.99 and most always in stock. If the powder is not in stock they'll bring it in from another store with no hazmat fee. The Scheels is in our large mall so after I get my goodies I need in the shooting department, I can gawk at all the numbies with pierced body parts an ridiculous tattoos [children of the bleeding hearts] walking thru the place to meet Ma while she shops in her she shops.

Thanks all for the encouraging words. Having a mature Bull Moose within 50 yards was the highlite and as mentioned here and many other places, it was an experience you can't get unless you are in the field. I also got to watch 2 yearling bucks spar for about 15 min and I was in the Colorado High Country for a week...hard to beat...I came up with a list of things I want to do with my Knight Disc Rifle, like peep sight and stock re-paint and new ram rod...I also want to do some more experimenting with bullets. In Colorado we have some extra ML rules, like no scopes, must use loose powder, no sabots...

This hunt I was stalk/walking back to the vehicle and spotted a small 2x2 bedded and he jumped up and I had a shot...I was surprised at how smoothly the rifle came up and was on target...I am really starting to like this gun.

When I lived back east, I did a lot of hunting trips to northern Maine to hunt the big woods. Rarely ever saw a deer never mind a shooter buck. On one trip, I had the opportunity to have a giant bull moose walk right under my treestand. To me, that was the coolest thing and all the tag soup I had was worth the experience.

One year we went to Wyoming for deer. We knew the sunrise was going to be spectacular so set up on the east side of the Mt when we knew full well the deer were on the south side. The sunrise was everything we had hoped for. Never saw a deer. Will always remember that morning.

Later as we sat there visiting I saw movement in the valley below. Soon 5 coyotes showed themselves. I just happened to have a rabbit distress in my pack so we got behind downed trees and started calling. 4 of the 5 died before number 5 figured this is not friendly fire. Later that day I went back and called with a coyote distress and number 5 came back. The rancher was happy too.

Just being there is a lot of it.

Latest posts

Back