Taking advantage of a Wind Storm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I found several Nice Fir Trees Blowed over by the Roots, Since i heat my own with Firewood i seized the Moment ;)

Buck em off, and let the Root Wads Flop back over. LOTS of Trees Down. This is a Good Place to get the 💩 Knocked out of ya if you Don’t understand Falling, and Bucking Timber, Everything is BOUND UP, Spring Loaded
GpkLOGB.jpg

My little YoYo Can’t Haul a Bunch, But plenty enough to get me Sweating Good :lewis:
efkNxJF.jpg

ztJ6jMR.jpg

Decent little Start on Next Years Firewood :lewis:
phyvH0y.jpg

Looks like fun.

What's your splitting method and what kind of wood stove?

Reminds me of my youth. Splitting oak rounds with a Monster Maul.

How does that stuff go? Looks like it would burn quick and hot.

This is Douglas Fir, it burns Good & Hot, and lasts a Good while. It is one the Favored species here for Firewood (Lumber as well) Tamarack (Larch) is the Hottest Burning Wood we have, But it’s much harder to find it. LOTS of people Burn Wood in this Country, and they go to GREAT lengths to get it. Anything within reasonable distance of a Road around here is GONE in a Hurry. There are several Guys right in this area that Cut & Sell Firweood, Old Trucks with Home made Side Racks, and 100s of Feet of Cable to Pull Trees out with

That’s a big saw Lewis. 30” bar? What size is the engine? Around here a 24” saw is a monster! We have little trees. Pinion and juniper don’t get real big in diameter.

Good deal. My wife and I had a wood stove in our house back in New England. There's nothing like that heat from the old stove. Warms you right to your bones.

There’s NOTHING like the Heat from a Good Hot Fire in a Woodstove :lewis: Granted it’s a LOT of Work getting the Wood, but it’s well Worth it in my opinion. Our Electricity/power Bill Runs about 35-40 Dollars a Month in the Dead of Winter when i am Burning Wood (Oct-March) Without Wood, using Electric Heaters like the Radiator Style Oil heaters (3 of them) The Electric/Power Bill is around 200.00 a Month in the Coldest Months.
There’s also nothing like the peace at mind if the Power Goes out, My house is Still KOZY Warm, We can even Make Perculator Coffee on the Stove Top, & Cook on it, it’s a WIN WIN :lewis:

When the Mercury PLUMMETS i fight back :)
llKXlcW.jpg

jR5Gfc9.jpg

The stove is Down in my Unfinished Basement
WTXGKW8.jpg

Upstairs in the Living Room, DIRECTLY above the Woodstove, I cut the Floor out and installed a 30“ Inch HEAVY DUTY Floor Grill. It heats the Basement, And runs right up through and Fills the House :lewis: If you stand on the Floor Grill when i have a Good Hot fire going it feels AMAZING, Heat runs right up through ya
OOg4Lzr.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fun.

What's your splitting method and what kind of wood stove?

Reminds me of my youth. Splitting oak rounds with a Monster Maul.

I am gonna cheat on the Splitting Part, I just bought a Brand New 27 Ton Log Splitter with log Rack last Fall, i have used it VERY little, it will get used plenty this Spring :lewis: But believe me, i have Split MOUNTAINS of Firewood over the Years, Been Burning wood all of my Life, I started helping with Firewood when i was a Little Boy

You can run it like this, or pull a pin and stand it up Vertical
uZHxQfj.jpg

That’s a big saw Lewis. 30” bar? What size is the engine? Around here a 24” saw is a monster! We have little trees. Pinion and juniper don’t get real big in diameter.

I run 30 and 32” Bars. This is the Saw i used Production Timber Falling, it is a Stihl 660 Magnum, 91.6 CC, (5.6 Cu inch) With my Square Ground Chain (Chisel) it FLAT OUT SCREAMS through the Wood

My Old Chisel Chain Grinder, The cutter teeth on my Chains will shave the Hair on your Face when done with them on this Grinder, SPOOKY SHARP
fKT76gH.jpg

Good report Lewis. Naturally, I have more than enough fir to work on too (pacific northwest). However, I prefer the burning qualities of Madrone wood. Both fir and madrone leave less ash than oak, but I have tons of oak trees to deal with from a snow storm two years ago.

My splitter is a 35 ton and heavy to move around, but that oak needs a large ram. Ironically, I split for about 3 hours today, and then stacked a bunch of fir.

I have a guy who drives down from Seattle and takes home 4 cords every summer. He claims he gets $600 a cord up there. I just about have to give it away since I can't store all the wood that I process. I don't burn all night, but I burn some every night. I also don't get as much snow as you do.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

That beats the hell out of a file. I resharpen every time I refuel. My favorite saw I own is a Husqvarna Rancher 55. With a 20” bar. Wife bought it at a yard sale for $50 it needed a new pull rope (recoil assembly) and it had a cracked fuel line. Fixed it up for about $25 bucks. Runs like a champ now.

That beats the hell out of a file. I resharpen every time I refuel. My favorite saw I own is a Husqvarna Rancher 55. With a 20” bar. Wife bought it at a yard sale for $50 it needed a new pull rope (recoil assembly) and it had a cracked fuel line. Fixed it up for about $25 bucks. Runs like a champ now.

Those 55 Ranchers are AWESOME little Saws! I use to own one, used it around home/farm on the Wa Coast. I fell trees that mind Boggled Folks with that little Saw, 2-3 Foot through Maple Trees.

I am a Timber Faller at Trade, I started logging straight out of High School, I graduated from Logging to Falling Timber at about 20 years Old. My saws, Chains, Grinders, Etc. Are “Tools of the Trade“

Wood heat rules! Nothing like coming in wet from an elk hunt, and drying out in the wall tent next to the wood stove. About 10 years ago, here in Albuquerque, thousands of trees died one winter because no one knew that you had to water trees in the winter during a drought. I tied in with tree removal companies to get all the wood I wanted, already cut. Nice while it lasted. Wood wams you three times, Once when you get it, once when you split it, and finally when you burn it. I'm sitting in front of my wood stove now with a nice fire and a cup of coffee. Cheers.

We spent a few years living with my grandma when I was growing up. Wood heat, wood cook stove, and a floor register like yours to let the heat upstairs where us boys slept. My dad had an old David Bradley, gear driven chain saw that cut really slow but sure beat the hand saws grandpa had to use.

Thanks for the pictures and post!

I have geothermal now but I heated with wood exclusively for 30 plus years. My Stihl Farm Boss never missed a beat and my son is still using it. My stove was a home made boiler that held 800 gallons of water. I used up a 50 lb box of welding rods building it! Burn for 3 hours a day and get heat for 24.
078_78.JPGBOILER BEING INSTALLED.JPGBOILER FRONT 2.JPG

Ahh, Idaho life. I too put up firewood for those cold winter days. Just can't beat wood heat.
I prefer red fir/Douglas Fir the most, but won't pass up tamarack if I find a good snag.
The wood splitter is cheatin'. :dance:
(I use one often these days!)

I Bucked a few more stumps this morning :p And Cut a few more Loads of Wood :lewis:

PsysNli.jpg

awtWuQY.jpg

zKRYwhn.jpg
Been running a central boiler outside boiler for the last 16 years. Have my own lot of hardwood and burn what blows down or dies. Lots of mountain ash, red oak and sugar maple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back