Targets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iisabigone

Reaction score
A local landowner dropped off 10 kill permits for me last night. He stated if I used all of them I could hunt all of his properties this fall and next spring gobbler season. Over 1500 acres close to me.

Gutting and dragging 10 deer in this hot weather sounds like a lot of work to me but it could pay off in some prime turkey land for next spring.

I might have to test the shockwaves with 3 pellets in the encore.

What do you guys think?
iisabigone

Whew. That might turn hunting into work, but if you've got the time... What would you do with all the meat? Donate?

iisabigone said:
What do you guys think?
Go for it! As hard as it is to find places to hunt anymore, that sounds like a reasonable offer to me. Just look at all the in-field experience you'll be getting! :lol:

Well guys I drove out to one of the gentlmans properties this evening just to have a peek at what it looked like.

Looked pretty good too. This piece of property is 600 acres with about 350 clearcut that is thick, thick, thick. Did I mention thick?

There is a newly acquired piece of property on the eastern side of this track of about 45 acres that is beutiful. Three sloping ridges running east and west of hay fieds that runs into a creekbottom that is lined with large oaks and hickory. There is an alfalfa field of about 5 acres on the middle ridge that borders the clearcut with a small pond north of it in between the middle and northern most ridge. To the south of these hayfields is a large pine thicket that I figure is about 8 to 10 years old that also joins the clearcut. I usually see a lot of deer traveling by this spot in my travels.

I picked a spot on the middle ridge where I could see anything that steps into the hayfields on all three ridges and about 40 yards from the alfalfa field. I figured I could cover most of what I can see with my 270 and would feel comfortable covering about half I could see with my encore(up to 175 yards).

I saw deer on all three ridges before I left at approximatly 8:30pm.

I never got out of the blazer because this spot looks like tick and chigger heaven. I think If I decide to hunt it this time of year I will set up one of my short tower stands to keep out of reach of the ticks and chiggers.

Twanger I called a friend of mine sons that plays football at a small college just south of here. They are working out on campus in preperation for the fall season. They do a lot of grilling and they said they would take a few does to cook. I also know a couple hispanic landscappers that will eat everything on a deer but the grunt. I will give them a call also.

I just dont have it in me to shoot it if it is not utilized.

I will keep your guys informend on how it goes.

iisabigone

iisabigone, maybe also pick a spot for "In Close" blade work!! A lil ole deer should be a piece of cake compared to a BIG OLE HOG for one of you experienced Hog Stickers! :lol:

Hey, best of luck! Look forward to your reports. :D

Loggy

I did notice a spot that looked like a good place to cut one up with a thunderhead while I was poking around but I dont think I will have time to bowhunt this year. :cry:

Over the years I have had the misfortune of having to finish a few wounded deer off with a knife, pistol, tire iron, a large rock, hanging and even have drownded a couple but I havent tried actually hunting a healthy deer with a pocket knife yet. However, if Virginia starts a new knife hunting season you can bet I will be on stand with my game face on :twisted:

iisabigone :D

Well guys over the last couple weeks I have had the opportunity to cull a few does from my friends property.

4 nice does were culled with my 50 cal omega.

All the deer went to families in the area that utilize the meat.

I used three pyro pellets and the 250 grain shockwave.

3 of the does went down at the shot with broadside shoulder shots ranging from 55 yards to 132 yards.

1 doe was angling slightly toward me at 50 yards and took the bullet in the front section of her left shoulder and exited her ribs on the right side. She staggered about 10 yards back toward the pine patch she came out of before dropping.

Im still pretty impressed with the performance of the shockwave but this time of year a deer seems very fragile and doesnt seem to require much power to take cleanly if the bullet is placed in the right spot.

I might get a chance to go a couple more times before the cutoff date if I can locate homes for the meat.
iisabigone

Spitpatch All the bullets exited. I did find some small pieces of jackets though.

The exit holes were all nickle to quarter sized. These does were all around 100 lbs or so I wasnt really surprized I got pass threws.

The two much larger bucks I shot last fall also were pass throughs but at a little longer range (150 162 yards). The exits were smaller, nickle sized suggesting to me that there was less bullet expansion at the longer ranges.

iisasbigone - Thanks for the update, and way to go on the does!

I've yet to try the 50/40 200gr shockwave in the Encore, but am thinking that will be my long range set-up if groups hold together w/ 3 pellets.

Twanger I shot the 200 with 3 pellets and they shot pretty good but the 250s shot so much better I never did try the 200s again.

iisabigone

What MV do you get with 3 pellets and 250gr slug?
Do you know what the B.C. is of the 250gr? Is it also a 0.400" diam?

Twanger the 250 shockwave is .452 diameter. I dont have a chrony but other shooters have reported from 1975 to 2200 ft at the muzzle with the 3 pellets and the 250 shockwave.

Im currently sighted in dead on at 172 yds. 3' high at 100yds and this puts me 2" high at 50 yds.

This omega has shot a variety of different bullets and powders well for me in the past.

My most accurate load from her has been 90 grains of 777 FFg with the 220 grain dead center. The accuracy was wonderful but every deer I shot with that load ran with very sparse blood trails. Except one I neck shot and one I shot high in the shoulder. When I went up in powder my accuaracy left me.

Hey guys my son came in from college over the weekend and I took him out to the farm to try and get him a shot at a deer with his muzzy. He and his roommate do a lot of cooking and he wanted some fresh meat.

Well he got two does with the knight 50 disc mag. He was using 100 gr of 777 ffg with the knight high pressure sabot and the 250 grain XTP.

He shot both does thru the ribs low behind the shoulder broadside. Both does hearts and lungs were damaged extensivly. The distance was 40 and 55 yards.

Both deer ran less than 40 yards and had golf ball sized exits with great blood trails. Both locations of impact showed a large blood spray where the bullet and body fluids exited. Looks like the XTP continues to give great expansion and performance for us.

We fried up some of the tenderloins and tenders this morning for breakfast and "WOW". I think that was the best deer I have ever tasted.

They have evidently been eating good in my friends alfalfa and clover fields. However, when my son shot them they were feeding on blackberry bushes on the edge of the field.

After I showed him the stand I went to another section of this property I have never scouted and saw a "nice shooter buck" and a large flock of turkeys bugging in an orchard grass field.
iisabigone

Back