TC Black Diamond Super 45XR. Big lead.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to try big lead in my 1-20 twist 45.
Never fired anything like this before. I bought some precast " .451" caliber bullets at Dixon's. Haven't weighed them yet, but I suspect they're 500-520s. Thankfully, I have a .452 sizer cuz these are NOT .451s, more like .454 to .456.
My 45 is stainless, with a bore groove of .450/.460 and seems very consistent. Nice and smooth too. The QLA seems to be properly done too.
I shoot Swiss black exclusively, usually 3f but I do have some 2f.
I bought some SPG lube as was recommended to me.
I have some lubed wool wads, but we'll see if they're necessary.
This rifle isn't as consistently accurate as her older sister ( .50 cal XR) and its rather frustrating. The 45 was a gift from a departed friend, so I would like to get her shooting the way a good rifle should. I would like to see 3 rounders at 100 of 2 inches or less. She is aperture sighted and I do good work with them.
In not going to invest in a mold until I at least get an idea of what she'll do.
So. For a big lead beginner, 2 or 3f? Wad type? I think a velocity of 12-1300 fps should do well for hunting too. That is if a T Rex or mastadon strolls by.
Pure or 20-1 mix? Expansion is always nice, even if you are hitting something with a flying telephone pole. Appreciate the help.

dbowling said:
Just bought a 1:20 T/C Black Diamond .45 XR with walnut stock/stainless, haven't shot it yet.
When I first saw this thread your gun came to mind Dean, thought it was you for a minute.

I was looking at a .45 Blued Omega in Eastern VA., but when the owner sent me pics it was rusted/pitted too much for me to mess with. I am at my weakest moment for buying another gun this time of year, like I need another one! Just have to force myself to look the other way!! :roll:

I've got 3 of these Black Diamonds now and 2 .54 Firehawks, they are dirty to shoot but man can they shoot.
I always about get sick when I go look at a muzzy the guy says in great shape and it turns out barrel is trash but outside is perfect.

toytruck said:
dbowling said:
Just bought a 1:20 T/C Black Diamond .45 XR with walnut stock/stainless, haven't shot it yet.
When I first saw this thread your gun came to mind Dean, thought it was you for a minute.

I was looking at a .45 Blued Omega in Eastern VA., but when the owner sent me pics it was rusted/pitted too much for me to mess with. I am at my weakest moment for buying another gun this time of year, like I need another one! Just have to force myself to look the other way!! :roll:

Im going to try some of Eds 460 gr conicals and Bull Shops in my new .45 1:20 and see how it does with the QLA.

Id try 65- 75 gr of powder(I like 3f) with a wool wad or thick veggie wad.

Confederate rifleman said:
Decided to try big lead in my 1-20 twist 45.
Never fired anything like this before. I bought some precast " .451" caliber bullets at Dixon's. Haven't weighed them yet, but I suspect they're 500-520s. Thankfully, I have a .452 sizer cuz these are NOT .451s, more like .454 to .456.
My 45 is stainless, with a bore groove of .450/.460 and seems very consistent. Nice and smooth too. The QLA seems to be properly done too.
I shoot Swiss black exclusively, usually 3f but I do have some 2f.
I bought some SPG lube as was recommended to me.
I have some lubed wool wads, but we'll see if they're necessary.
This rifle isn't as consistently accurate as her older sister ( .50 cal XR) and its rather frustrating. The 45 was a gift from a departed friend, so I would like to get her shooting the way a good rifle should. I would like to see 3 rounders at 100 of 2 inches or less. She is aperture sighted and I do good work with them.
In not going to invest in a mold until I at least get an idea of what she'll do.
So. For a big lead beginner, 2 or 3f? Wad type? I think a velocity of 12-1300 fps should do well for hunting too. That is if a T Rex or mastadon strolls by.
Pure or 20-1 mix? Expansion is always nice, even if you are hitting something with a flying telephone pole. Appreciate the help.

ERMAGERD! A walnut stocked Black Diamond! Been looking for a walnut stock for my 45 for 4 years now. I got the last one TC had, so said the nice lady in customer service, back in 08 for my .50 XR.
I'm desperate.
I just put my stainless/ synthetic .50 Omega up for sale the other day. But if anyone has a walnut stocked Black Diamond or even just the stock ( with trigger guard, stock bolts and rammers spring) no cracks or gouges please. Finish wear is ok though. I would make a trade even up. Wouldn't care about the bore on a complete rifle.
Did I say I was desperate?
She shoots good in walnut. Tried her in the stock on my .50, but dont want to be swapping out.
She was a gift from a departed friend. Would love to set her up right.
Help...

Appreciate the help.
Swiss - 85gr 2f or 75gr 3f is what I've found to be good for me to 1000 yards with many ML using 500gr+ 45 cal projectiles..
I've always used SPG and a wad with flat based bullets.
Pure lead is all I shoot and I've won a lot of LR ML matches.
Keep things (variables) simple.
I'm not sure of your ignition/breech plug seal? Might be your limiting factor.
Good luck.

These bullets weigh 470 grains. I sized them to .452 and lubed with SPG. Neat stuff! Smells good, so the wife cant ( legitimately) complain.
I have some 70 grain charges of 3f Swiss and some lubed wool wads ( Ox Yoke I believe)
I get great results with Remington #11 caps. I use Ampco single port nipples. The Flamethrowers are unnecessary and foul the priming area badly.
I'm excited to try them out. Maybe today if the weather cooperates!
Will let you know how they do. Impressive elongated ball I must say!

I'm excited to try them out. Maybe today if the weather cooperates!
Will let you know how they do. Impressive elongated ball I must say!

I would try a Group with, and without an Over Powder Wad to see how much difference it makes? I swear by the use of OP Wads to Protect the Bullet Bases, But from my experience The QLA Muzzles Don’t always play well with OP Wads

My Bad QLA experiences were with a .54 Cal TC Hawken, and a TC New Englander. They would shoot Ok with Wool OP Wads, But Nothing Stellar. Hard Card type Wads (Vege, and Nitro Cards) Proved disastrous. I was watching the Target on the first shot when my Dad fired, I seen the Grass/Weeds Part about 2 Foot low in front of the Target and seen the Target move? That bullet Hit the Ground, Bounced up and went through my Target Frame Sideways, The other few shots were not Found? I tried this 2 or 3 more times with mirror Results. My QLA Barrels left the Building :D

I am not saying they are all bad, Just my personal experience with the 2 i had.

For your viewing pleasure :D

1077s0j.jpg

fco480.jpg

ERMAGERD! A walnut stocked Black Diamond! Been looking for a walnut stock for my 45 for 4 years now. I got the last one TC had, so said the nice lady in customer service, back in 08 for my .50 XR.
I'm desperate.
I just put my stainless/ synthetic .50 Omega up for sale the other day. But if anyone has a walnut stocked Black Diamond or even just the stock ( with trigger guard, stock bolts and rammers spring) no cracks or gouges please. Finish wear is ok though. I would make a trade even up. Wouldn't care about the bore on a complete rifle.
Did I say I was desperate?
She shoots good in walnut. Tried her in the stock on my .50, but dont want to be swapping out.
She was a gift from a departed friend. Would love to set her up right.
Help...

just to add to the tease here you go the T/C triplets. 2 T/C Firehawks .54, one brand new unfired(no scope) the other been fired 8 times and killed 2 deer this year.. Then the .45 XR :mrgreen:

fejh2c.jpg

TEASE!!!!!!!

Thou shalt not covet. Thou shalt not covet...
Tried the telephone poles today.
Not good. At 50 yards... well, I've shot better with a slingshot. 8 inches was as good as it got. That was with wads and swabbing between shots. Without wads, forget it. Same for not swabbing.
The charge was 70 gr of 3f Swiss. Recoil was brisk, but surprising not abusive. It was rough on caps though. Several wound up as discs over the nipple throat and a couple went to atoms.
Will try smaller lead next time. Some 230 Maxis and some 45 Colt cast type.
Sized to .452, the big ones rammed like a minie. No leading observed and there was lube ( SPG) on the muzzle.

VERY nice set of irons ya got there! For my money, there are no better inlines than the old plunger fired. Especially when shooting black. No fancy primers, breech plugs, primer headspace etc. Legal everywhere, one piece stocks and full length rammers. So they get a little dirty. Beats taking a drill bit to carve fouling out of a breech plug!

you might get ahold of Ed Mehlig and see if you can get some of his 350 gr conicals, they shoot good in all my conical shooting .45`s.
Also with a wad you might try 65 gr or 80 gr and see what the big ones do.. sometimes its a matter of hitting right powder/wad combo.. were any of them grouping close at all?
Your Qla may be off centered also and no matter what you do it may not shoot conical good.

Not good. At 50 yards... well, I've shot better with a slingshot. 8 inches was as good as it got. That was with wads and swabbing between shots. Without wads, forget it. Same for not swabbing.
The charge was 70 gr of 3f Swiss. Recoil was brisk, but surprising not abusive. It was rough on caps though. Several wound up as discs over the nipple throat and a couple went to atoms.
Sized to .452, the big ones rammed like a minie. No leading observed and there was lube ( SPG) on the muzzle.

With both of my 350 and 465 gr conicals 70-75gr of Swiss or777-3F works for my 45 Whites. Some day out of curiosity I’m going to try Swiss 2F.

edmehlig said:
With both of my 350 and 465 gr conicals 70-75gr of Swiss or777-3F works for my 45 Whites. Some day out of curiosity I’m going to try Swiss 2F.

I use to shoot a LOT of Swiss 3F, And i did well with it, All the way out to 500 yards :yeah: oddly the last few times i was out with 3F and my little .45 GM LRH I didn’t shoot that well at all? It wasn’t horrible, But Nothing like I normally shoot, i even Bedded the Tang of my Stock, and Forend thinking that something had Changed somehow? But My results were the Same. Out of the blue 1 day I decided to try my Swiss 2F, My Little .45 Came Alive Again!! I don’t have any explanations? Maybe something odd with the last can of 3F i got? I can say for Certain than 2F is my Favorite, 99% or more of my Targets/Video stuff in the last year are with Swiss 2F, With my 2F doing so well i have put 3F on the Back burner and haven’t messed with it in a Long time

I would LOVE to see this Rifle shoot the EXACT same load you did today WITHOUT that QLA Muzzle. I despise those darn things! TC Should have called that setup a QLAD (Quick Load Accuracy Destroyer)

I have on hand 4 brands of black powder: Goex red can 2Fg & 3Fg, Schuetzen 2Fg & 3Fg, Swiss 1.5 F, 2F, 3F, and OE 1.5F, 2F, 3F. In my shooting Goex red can and Schuetzen are the same in regards to fouling, accuracy, and velocity. Swiss (as everyone knows) is in a different league than those two, very strong stuff. For me Swiss 3F is too fast except for my .36 caliber. I much prefer Swiss and Olde Eynsford in the 1.5F and 2F grades. When you compare Swiss 2F and Goex/Schuetzen 2Fg when dumped out on a piece of white paper the Swiss is much finer, kinda like a "2.5" F. Here's some chrony data just for general info:
T/C .54 Renegade 26" barrel:
90gr. Swiss 2F, .530" RB, .018 patch = 1575 fps
120gr. Goex 3Fg, .530" RB, .018" patch = 1590 fps
120gr. Goex 2Fg, .530" RB, .018 patch = 1525 fps
October Country .69 Country Great American Sporting rifle 28" barrel:
180gr. Goex 2Fg, .678'' RB, .025" denim patch = 1463 fps
160gr. Swiss 1.5 F, .678 RB, .025" denim patch = 1610 fps
That October Country GASR is rated for 225gr. 2Fg with .678 RB. I went up to 200gr. Goex/Schuetzen 2Fg but gained no real velocity (50 fps) over the 180gr. load. When I first tried Swiss 10 years ago in that October Country rifle I started with 160gr. of 2F but no patch material could survive the onslaught. Velocity was incredible at 1794 fps but patches burnt through every time. I tried a 12ga. over the powder wad but accuracy got worse although the patches survived. I had some 1.5F that I had purchased at the same time for my Whitworth and Volunteer rifles. So i tried the 160gr. of 1.5F and patches were intact and accuracy was great. OE 1.5F works just as well for me. I can't even imagine loading 225gr. of Swiss or OE 2F in that rifle. The recoil would be savage.
I like the 1.5F or 2F in rifles shooting bullets. I feel the 1.5F shines with 500gr. + weight bullets

Latest posts

Back