TC drop in GREEN MOUNTAIN BARRELS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its already 120 dollars more than I paid for my last one.

I remember that Ron :lewis: I got my 1st Brand new one Directly from Green Mountain for 76 bucks (Blued, 45 LRH) My only regret is that I didn’t buy a Dozen of them at that Price, But at that time I didn’t even want a .45 Cal, I needed a .50 Or .54 Cal For Elk. The .45 Cal Green Mountain LRH barrels are getting REALLY HARD to come by these Days, especially in Stainless Steel

I remember that Ron :lewis: I got my 1st Brand new one Directly from Green Mountain for 76 bucks (Blued, 45 LRH) My only regret is that I didn’t buy a Dozen of them at that Price, But at that time I didn’t even want a .45 Cal, I needed a .50 Or .54 Cal For Elk. The .45 Cal Green Mountain LRH barrels are getting REALLY HARD to come by these Days, especially in Stainless Steel

I have talked to Jacob about what I wish would have happened in life. Like my dad buying multiple pre 64 winchesters. A 67 Cougar, and lots of hunting land.
We had the opportunity to buy a pile of these barrels and didn't I have 4 stainless steel barrels two 50's two 45's. I wish I would have bought a truck load at that reduced price.

Believe it's been around 15 years when I purchased the last 27 50 Caliber LRH Stainless barrels then later the last dozen 45 LRH Stainless barrels that Green Mountain had. When I asked if they were going to stop making these barrels they told me no , Just reducing inventory. They never offered them again. As you may of guessed I didn't keep any of them but became a very popular guy on eBay for a while. It's only been in the last couple years that I bought a couple for myself and they were certainly more than what I was selling them for.

I would love to find a New, or like new Green Mountain 15/16” or 1” Stainless .50 Cal to Pair up with this .45 i have, But I’m not holding my Breath.

I have a Match Grade, 32” inch long 1-24 Twist .50 Cal RICE “Drop in” Barrel in the Makings now, 1” Across the Flats :lewis: 4140 Chromoly. I’m STOKED about it, I hope it shoots as well as my 1:20 .45 RICE, This .45 RICE of mine EASILY Outshoots my Green Mountain .45 LRH, This 1:20 is MUCH more Versatile than 1:30 LRH

Last edited:
Green Moutain was making a blank in .45 and 50 with24 twist cut rifled

Lewis, That custom Rice 50 sounds like it will be the real deal! Are they offering that barrel now or did you do some "arranging"??;)

This is something I have wanted to do for awhile, I have had such good luck with my 1:20 Twist .45 Cal RICE, I wanted to try one of his Match Grade 4140 Chromoly Barrels in .50 As well.

I just went off of my Old Email with Jason at RICE, He listed the 1-24 Twist .50 back then (2017) I contacted him, and he agreed to Build them :lewis:

I twisted the Arm of a Friend on here and talked him in to one as well, So we will have 2 of them to work with, Different Configured, But Both 1:24 Twist. (His will be 28” long, 15/16 Across the Flats. And i am going 1” across the Flats, 32” Long :))

24 twist barrel work good with 600 grain PP , had one on a Knight

Bob, That is one of the Bullets i plan to test, i have some 550s and 600s, Cupped Base PP

I also have this 600 Grain Custom GG Bullet from a Mold i had made, Creedmoor style Nose
4vipIyu.jpg

x6PJIEN.jpg

that is awesome bullet. I also shot some of Furys HP bullets . I used Swiss 1.5 and copied some loads for 50-90 Sharps , 105 grains and 110 using Buffalo arms 650 PP , from muzzle was doing about 1145 with 600 grain PP at 500 it was still doing 9 something forgot now, gave rifle to my Grandson. I think Bestill called it Thunder

Last edited:
This is something I have wanted to do for awhile, I have had such good luck with my 1:20 Twist .45 Cal RICE, I wanted to try one of his Match Grade 4140 Chromoly Barrels in .50 As well.

I just went off of my Old Email with Jason at RICE, He listed the 1-24 Twist .50 back then (2017) I contacted him, and he agreed to Build them :lewis:

I twisted the Arm of a Friend on here and talked him in to one as well, So we will have 2 of them to work with, Different Configured, But Both 1:24 Twist. (His will be 28” long, 15/16 Across the Flats. And i am going 1” across the Flats, 32” Long :))

Are those a drop in barrel?

I would love to find a New, or like new Green Mountain 15/16” or 1” Stainless .50 Cal to Pair up with this .45 i have, But I’m not holding my Breath.

I have a Match Grade, 32” inch long 1-24 Twist .50 Cal RICE “Drop in” Barrel in the Makings now, 1” Across the Flats :lewis: 4140 Chromoly. I’m STOKED about it, I hope it shoots as well as my 1:20 .45 RICE, This .45 RICE of mine EASILY Outshoots my Green Mountain .45 LRH, This 1:20 is MUCH more Versatile than 1:30 LRH
Good morning Lewis. How long is the 45 cal 1-20 rice barrel?

Thank you. Do you think any additional length would increase accuracy in a target only rille? I have a very nice TC hawken stock with no patch box like the “Silver Elite” but with blued iron furniture. I am looking for a 45 cal fast twist barrel for this stock.

Latest posts

Back