TC/GM Sidelock Breech Plug Removal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
First off i want to say that Removing a Sidelock Breech Plug is 100% Unnecessary for the MOST Part, under normal Cleaning and Care, there is NO REASON to Attempt Removing a Breech Plug from your Sidelock Muzzleloader. Unless you have the Proper Tools, And knowledge, you will almost GAURANTEED Ruin your Breech Plug. I have seen NUMEROUS of these Old Sidelock Muzzleloaders with BADLY Damaged Breech Plugs from someone trying to Remove them without Proper Tools, my advice is to DON’T ATTEMPT IT!! Leave well enough alone, unless there is a GENUINE Problem, and then I advise that you take, or send The Barrel to someone that Understands these Things, and has Proper tools for Removal.

With the above said, as much as i tinker with these Old TC Sidelocks, and Green Mountain Barrels, i wanted the Ability to Properly, and Safely Remove a Breech Plug if i chose to do so? I like the ability to access ALL parts of my Guns. SO, I spent the money and acquired the proper Sidelock Breech Plug Removal Tools :lewis:

I contacted Jason of Rice Barrels and purchased his Octagon Barrel Vise Jaws. These are NICE! Typical Rice, High Quality Stuff, I HIGHLY Recommend Rice, And Jason is a SUPER NICE Guy. My 1:20 Twist .45 Cal Rice Drop in Barrel is Probably the Most Accurate Muzzleloader Barrel i own, As most of you notice, it is in most of my .45 Cal Accuracy Videos, I would put this Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Barrel of mine up against ANYTHING out there, it’s that Good :lewis:
ApYJe8w.jpg

These are an updated version with 2 Magnets for Attaching to Vise Jaws
Kx95gN5.jpg

yBq3Jpo.jpg

These next 2 pics are NOT Mine, I took them from Rice‘s Website to Show them in a Vise
Z63s5Wh.jpg

rzlbzMc.jpg

I purchased an 18” inch, Smooth Jawed Reed Corp Wrench, i affectionately named “I Will Break Thee” :) If you look in the Jaws you will See a Breech Plug Socket, SPECIFICALLY Designed to get on Sidelock Plugs (TC, Green Mountain, And i believe Investarms? I haven’t tried my TC Breech Plug Sockets on anything But TC and Green Mountain thus far, so i can’t say for sure at this time if they will Fit Investarm Plugs?)
0kncQ2T.jpg

Someone tried to Remove this 15/16” TC Hawken Breech Plug by Grabbing the Hook, they COMPLETELY RUINED the Plug by doing so, The Hook was BADLY Twisted. I had to Replace it.
vct5Nzu.jpg

And 1 more Pic, Showing 2 of my TC Breech Plug Sockets, The 13/16” for TC Seneca/Cherokee/Patriot. And the 15/16” for the TC Hawken .45 and .50 Cal, I stil need to find the TC 1” Socket for the Renegades, and .54 Hawken (I would like to find the Actual TC Tool, I know there is a Fella on Ebay that Makes and Sells them, But i would prefer the Original TC Tool, No. 7314 I believe)
nNNv7JY.jpg

Old TC Breech Plug Socket in the Packaging
Tzq67Mh.jpg

Thank you for this post! As a guy who also likes to tinker quite a bit, I am tempted to try this with an old T/C Hawken 50 cal.
I have the breech plug wrench, but I will get the Rice vice inserts. Those look like a very useful item to have on hand!
This old Hawken was purchased in 1982, and as a 16 year old kid I probably didn't deserve such a fine gun....given my lack of knowledge/understanding of how to properly care for a black powder rifle. So yes, I let it rust badly.... and while the inside of the barrel MAY be salvageable, I'm afraid the breech plug is not. The threads for the nipple are shot and probably wouldn't hold the nipple.
The breech end has been soaking in penetrating oil for several months. I'm not sure how much this will help, but I didn't think it could hurt.
Some had suggested applying heat to help break it free. I worry that too much heat may weaken the barrel and create an even more dangerous situation.
Do you find that you can get the plug out with your setup without heat?

Thank you for this post! As a guy who also likes to tinker quite a bit, I am tempted to try this with an old T/C Hawken 50 cal.
I have the breech plug wrench, but I will get the Rice vice inserts. Those look like a very useful item to have on hand!
This old Hawken was purchased in 1982, and as a 16 year old kid I probably didn't deserve such a fine gun....given my lack of knowledge/understanding of how to properly care for a black powder rifle. So yes, I let it rust badly.... and while the inside of the barrel MAY be salvageable, I'm afraid the breech plug is not. The threads for the nipple are shot and probably wouldn't hold the nipple.
The breech end has been soaking in penetrating oil for several months. I'm not sure how much this will help, but I didn't think it could hurt.
Some had suggested applying heat to help break it free. I worry that too much heat may weaken the barrel and create an even more dangerous situation.
Do you find that you can get the plug out with your setup without heat?

Looking back, The only thing i would change in my Setup above is I wouldn’t have Spent the Money on the Reed Corp Wrench, They sell HUGE Crescent Wrenches for under 50 Bucks that would do this Job with Ease. I paid Twice that amount for this Reed Corp Wrench, But HEY, I have a Nice Wrench now :p Maybe i will need it down the Rd Plumbing, Taking a Union apart etc?

I used my little Handheld Steam cleaner through the Nipple hole til about 10-12“ of Barrel was HOT, The Plug came loose with very little effort

Thank you for the reply.
I may give this a try. More than likely I will farm it out to a professional. Lol
Hopefully some folks here will have a suggestion or two as to who I could take the barrel to. I'm in south-central Indiana so I'm hoping there is someone within driving distance. I'll send it wherever I need to, but prefer to use local guys when possible.

Latest posts

Back