TC Hawken 1-48 twist and 240grn PA conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Lewis. Well thought out answers and good info for me or any other 1-48 shooter. One more question if you dont mind? I have a 1-32 twist Traditions inline with a 209 primer breech plug ( you know the magnum craze ). I am going to put the #11 plug back in and do you feel these bullets will work as good as a 1-48 twist conventional side lock? How about the PA conical in this twist? Have you tried in this twist before?
DL

I really like a 1:32 Twist, That is the Twist Rate of my Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal, That rifle shoots REALLY Well, and is not finicky in the least, I have shot Bullets ranging in weight from 450 to 650 Grains in it, Hard and Soft lead, It has Shot EVERYTHING I’ve thrown at it good, to EXCELLENT. I don’t see any problems with the 1:32 Twist and Bullets you mention, I’m sure they will do fine :lewis: I would clean the Old Lube off, and Re-Lube with Fresh

The ONLY time i ever had ANY form of Trouble with the Lyman Plains Bullet was Back when i first got going in Muzzleloading, I thought EVERYTHING Had to be Paper Patched in order to Shoot good? I was trying to Shoot them Paper Patched. I Wrapped the Patch, and FORCED them through a Sizer. These were also cast of REALLY HARD Lead, like Wheel Weight type Hard? That was a DISASTER! And was the Same Disaster with the Lee S&W 500 Bullet.

When i started Shooting the Lyman Plains Bullet the way it was intended (Grease Groove) It shot LIGHTS OUT Good!! And even Paper Patched, as long as the Lead was Soft (No harder than 1-40 Alloy Which is 8.5 BHN) and i Sized the Bullet to Proper PP Diameter (.492) THEN Paper Patched them.

Lewis
Thanks for your response. Too late now for this deer season but there is always next year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours and all forum members on this glorious holiday season.
Desperate Lee

I really like a 1:32 Twist, That is the Twist Rate of my Lyman Great Plains Hunter .54 Cal, That rifle shoots REALLY Well, and is not finicky in the least, I have shot Bullets ranging in weight from 450 to 650 Grains in it, Hard and Soft lead, It has Shot EVERYTHING I’ve thrown at it good, to EXCELLENT. I don’t see any problems with the 1:32 Twist and Bullets you mention, I’m sure they will do fine :lewis: I would clean the Old Lube off, and Re-Lube with Fresh

The ONLY time i ever had ANY form of Trouble with the Lyman Plains Bullet was Back when i first got going in Muzzleloading, I thought EVERYTHING Had to be Paper Patched in order to Shoot good? I was trying to Shoot them Paper Patched. I Wrapped the Patch, and FORCED them through a Sizer. These were also cast of REALLY HARD Lead, like Wheel Weight type Hard? That was a DISASTER! And was the Same Disaster with the Lee S&W 500 Bullet.

When i started Shooting the Lyman Plains Bullet the way it was intended (Grease Groove) It shot LIGHTS OUT Good!! And even Paper Patched, as long as the Lead was Soft (No harder than 1-40 Alloy Which is 8.5 BHN) and i Sized the Bullet to Proper PP Diameter (.492) THEN Paper Patched them.

Best way to clean the old dried lube off and which lube would you use? I have a homemade lube i use in my '58 revolvers, 40% beeswax 40% mutton tallow 10% olive oil, works great as a lube cookie. Dont know about a grease groove lube though. Thoughts guys?
DL

Lewis
Thanks for your response. Too late now for this deer season but there is always next year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours and all forum members on this glorious holiday season.
Desperate Lee

Thank you Lee! Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to you and Your Family as well!

Best way to clean the old dried lube off and which lube would you use? I have a homemade lube i use in my '58 revolvers, 40% beeswax 40% mutton tallow 10% olive oil, works great as a lube cookie. Dont know about a grease groove lube though. Thoughts guys?
DL

On that Old Dried Lube, is that the Stuff that kind of Flakes off? I can’t remember exactly what it’s like? Usually Heat from say a Hair Dryer will Work well, But if it’s that Crusty Dried up Stuff like I’ve Seen Before, I really Don’t know the Best way to get it off? Just have to Experiment? You don’t have to get every bit of it off, Just the Bulk of it.

Your Lube Recipe Sounds REALLY Good :lewis: Is it reasonably Soft? If not, Take a Small amount of it and Thin it Down a Bit with your Olive Oil

It is not runny or anything but it is reasonably soft. Run it on your fingers and it feels oily but not really. Dont remember who turned me on to this but i like it in my revolvers. I take a folded paper towel and soak it hot then lay out and let cool over night. Use my cookie cutter and make the lube cookie. 30 grains Swiss 3f, then an over powder card, cut from business cards, then lube cookie, then another card, then a .454 ball. Good stout load and no leading all day long. Soft fouling and easy cleanup. If i can strip all lube off i may pan lube these with my mix just to see. All it can do is not work right, then i'll know.
Gary

I have a homemade lube i use in my '58 revolvers, 40% beeswax 40% mutton tallow 10% olive oil, works great as a lube cookie.
What would the remaining 10% consist of?
This is quite similar to my bullet lube, which is 40% deer tallow, 40% bees wax and 20% olive oil.
Walk

Ahh my dear Walk you caught my bad math. Let me rephrase that:
45% beeswax 45% lamb tallow 10% olive oil. You can use it as a lube or spread it on a sandwich. All natural. LOL
DL

Yup, put em in a pan of water and heat. Lube floats to the top. Cool and skim lube after it hardens. I dry them out and pan lube using your favorite lube formula.

Lewis
Found some more bullets i apparently purchased and placed on my bullet self and got covered up. They are TC 275 grain Maxi-Hunters bullets. Do you have any experience with these? I think the 1-48 twist should work good here also, but performance on game? Anyone have experience here please chime in.
Gary

Attachments

• tcpic7885.jpg
    tcpic7885.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 10
I just purchased my first muzzleloader, a used T/C Hawkin that I found at a LGS on the discount rack. For the price I couldn't pass it by. I am enjoying the various threads on "Beginner" type topics, there is so much to learn about these things. As soon as I can locate some powder and caps locally I'll head to the range and give it a whirl. In the meantime I'll just keep scouring the forums for more info.

Welcome aboard rkrcpa. Don't be afraid to ask questions should any arise. Tons of intelligence here and people are always happy to help.

Back