TC Hawken range report. Happyyyyyyyy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my TC Hawken to the range this morning. Finally getting around to chronographing her.
The load is her regular. A 250 grain 45 cal. XTP in a Harvester crush rib over 70 grains of 3f Swiss. Velocity is 1611 fps. High was 1622 and low 1600.
The 10 shot group shown, fired as 3, 3 shot and a 4 shot, measures 1 & 3/8ths at 50 yards. Haven't measured the individual groups yet.
She has her factory bead front sight and a TC tang aperture rear.
This is a factory barrel ( M stamp) 1-48 twist .50 caliber.
Absolutely love this rifle!

Attachments

• 20210618_125028.jpg
    20210618_125028.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 43
Thanks all! After the first group, I put a piece of paper behind the target and moved it after each group. Glad I did!
1st- 3x 7/16, 2x1/4
2nd- 3x15/16, 2x 3/8
3rd - 4x 1 1/8, 3x 9/16, 2x 3/16
In these groups, first number is the size, subsequent numbers are the smallest 2 ( or 3) within the group.
I've started resting the rifle on the nose cap. It has made a difference.
Not my flintlock. Neither will shoot like this. Its my factory laminate percussion Hawken.
Call her Autumn for the browns, red and gold in her stock.
She's a peach for sure!

Attachments

• 20200718_105637.jpg
    20200718_105637.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 65
I have had good results with TC renegades. They seem to shoot well for me if they have peep sights.

Thanks all! After the first group, I put a piece of paper behind the target and moved it after each group. Glad I did!
1st- 3x 7/16, 2x1/4
2nd- 3x15/16, 2x 3/8
3rd - 4x 1 1/8, 3x 9/16, 2x 3/16
In these groups, first number is the size, subsequent numbers are the smallest 2 ( or 3) within the group.
Not my flintlock. Neither will shoot like this. Its my factory laminate percussion Hawken.
Call her Autumn for the browns, red and gold in her stock.
She's a peach for sure!

How many yards were you shooting?

I don't think Thompson/Center ever made more than a handful of rifles with factory laminated stocks. That one must have come out of the custom shop. You scored a great deal when you bought it.

Actually, I saw a post recounting a letter from TC and the lady claimed they made 8 as pre-production prototypes. I spoke to a fellow who was a ' smith at TC who said the only one he'd ever seen was in the " Altar". Their model room.
These weren't Fox Ridge customs. Some say a limited run of 2000 were made. But I've seen nothing to back that up.
Either way, they are extremely rare. I was offered a RIDICULOUS return on investment once. Just couldn't do it. She's one of eight and was unfired when I got her. Cost me $250!

When bench testing, where the rifle rests on the front can have a huge effect on accuracy. That's due to how the rifle recoils and the harmonic vibration of the gun in recoil. To see what is most likely to happen when you're out hunting with it, hold the forend with your hand as you would hunting, rest your hand on the front part of the benchrest and see how it shoots.

Actually, I saw a post recounting a letter from TC and the lady claimed they made 8 as pre-production prototypes. I spoke to a fellow who was a ' smith at TC who said the only one he'd ever seen was in the " Altar". Their model room.
These weren't Fox Ridge customs. Some say a limited run of 2000 were made. But I've seen nothing to back that up.
Either way, they are extremely rare. I was offered a RIDICULOUS return on investment once. Just couldn't do it. She's one of eight and was unfired when I got her. Cost me $250!
I am glad you are shooting this rifle. They were all made to be used, not stuck in collections someplace hidden from the world to accrue in value.

She's put food on the table too. Got these two last October, an hour apart to the minute.
Got the nose cap rest idea from Chuck Dixon. Was originally talking about my long rifle, and why my results were so erratic. He said rest it as close to the muzzle as possible. MAJOR improvement! Decided to give it a whirl with Autumn...
Used to rest just ahead of the triggerguard. About where your hand would be when shooting offhand. Holdover from my breechloader days. I'm getting better....
Happily, my point of impact doesn't differ between bagged and offhand.
Dave951, That's a good idea and I actually have done that, as a final zero check, for a number of years.
Time to go do my day after bore checks. The humidity is back and I want no rude surprises!

Attachments

• 20201019_111753.jpg
    20201019_111753.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 31
That's a great deal and some good shooting.

The numbers next to the holes are as follows. The circled number is the group number. The number next to it is the shot within that group.
So the center high shot was 3rd group 3rd shot. To the right of that, is 2nd group 3rd shot.
3rd group actually had 4 shots. The 4th cut the drawn lines coming out of (2)3.
Can you tell I sometimes have a wee bit too much time on my hands?

My first Thompson Hawken was very accurate. One of my biggest regrets was selling it when I went to flint locks.

Latest posts

Back