TC Hawken range report. Happyyyyyyyy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a replacement green mountain 1/66 on my Hawken. You all may remember I put a homemade skinner sight on it and with my new eye glasses it is really accurate. Plumberron and I shot a couple weeks ago and I can call the shot. That is I can tell him where the hole will appear on the target. (about an inch low of dead center) I am going to adjust the sight a little yet but Im not sure an inch low is worth fussing with. I really enjoy shooting that gun. Gonna kill me some deer this fall.

Thompson made a fantastic product. I was sorry to see them bought out by Remington and then sold again. Everything they made was top notch, accurate, and dependable.

Actually, TC was bought by Smith & Wesson. They're for sale again though.
Who knows? The wheel may turn full circle. I'm an unrepentant inliner. But I am EXTREMELY fond of my Hawken, Renegade and custom flintlock. The hearts and minds of many a muzzleloader are turning back to sidelocks. There may yet be hope for a good )American made) sidelock comeback...

I have noticed that with the primer shortage, no one wants a 209 primer inline. A few years ago that was the future of muzzle loading. A good inline , loaded properly, has better killing power than a .45-70, and can be extremely accurate over long ranges with sabots or conicals.

Excepting ball loads, I find no practical difference between my sidelocks and inlines.
Bold statement, I know, but my most accurate rifle is my Firehawk. That rifle is just spooky accurate with her 1-38 twist.
My percussion Hawken ( 1-48 twist) is nearly as accurate with the same load. A 45 cal 250 grain Hornady xtp in a Harvester crush rib and 70 grains 3f Swiss. The Firehawk is superb with conicals too. The Lyman 400 grain plains, with a .54 wad and 70 of 3f Swiss. 1350 fps from the ' hawk's 24 inch barrel and 10 into 2 inches at 100.
Will be trying those soda cans in the Hawken shortly.
Both are aperture sighted, both are SOLID 200 yard rifles, should I feel the need to compensate for 24 inches of drop....
I'll never give up my inlines. They're just TOO good.
Excepting my Omega, my inlines are lit with #11s. The Omega is here if I ever have to scrounge primers from shotgun shells...
Won't give up the sidelocks either. They're TOO good too. Just match loads to barrels and sit back and smile!

Sounds like you have some good shooters. Muzzle loaders will surprise a lot of people at how far they will shoot accurately if you spend the time working with them. I started with a Thompson Hawken .50 and it would shoot anything you put in it into one hole at 50 yards. Then I got into flintlocks and let people shame me into getting rid of it. My handmade flintlocks shoot great and have taken many deer with round balls, but I really miss that Thompson and wish I had never parted with it. When you find a gun that you can shoot good, you should never part with it. You will regret it some day.

The ONLY problem with the Thompson/Center rifles was when Thompson/Center made the marketing decision to call their first rifle a "HAWKEN", instead of something else.

That's what p****d off the traditional muzzleloading community, because it truly bears NO RESEMBLANCE to a real Hawken rifle. By that time, 1976 (?), people were already crazy about Hawken rifles. Most muzzleloading people had never seen one, and even fewer had actually handled one.

I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours with an original J & S Hawken in .52 caliber, back in 1977 when I was in the military. A Thompson/Center Hawken is NOTHING like it. A good gun, but NOT A HAWKEN.

Those who had, knew that the Thompson/Center Hawken looked more like an English Sporting Rifle, than a Hawken.

TO THIS DAY, that point is the very first thing that is brought up whenever a Thompson/Center Hawken is mentioned on any of the diehard traditionalist muzzleloading forums. Thompson/Center's "arrogance" in naming their first rifle thus sticks in their craw so bad that many of them refuse to even discuss any Thompson/Center rifle, and I have read where more than a few would like to BAN them, and anyone who dared to post about one, from their silly forums.

As I mentioned over at ALR just recently, all of Thompson Center's guns, even the later models with composite stocks, are extremely well made compared to all but the best of Pedersoli's guns. Under the finish of much of the walnut in their stocks, lies some beautiful wood.

Compared to most of what comes out of Italy and Spain nowadays, a used Thompson/Center rifle is a HUGE bargain. Even with a trashed barrel. Because here in the United States we are EXTRAORDINARILY, EXTRAORDINARILY FORTUNATE to have a Bobby Hoyt in our midst willing to work 5 days a week at 70-plus years of age, to re-bore & re-rifle our barrels. To save what would otherwise end up in a dumpster.

WHATEVER ARE WE GOING TO DO WHEN HE RETIRES, OR DIES?

As far as I know, there is no one to take his place.

Last edited by a moderator:
They,TC, always put Thompson Center first in naming all their products. I don't think any of the repro co.'s ever claimed to make an original copy of a St Louis Hawken same as I'm sure that the Hawken's shared and copied from other makers. I don't really care, I like them all, as long as they burn real BP! I don't particularly care for inlines but I'm certainly not going to knock anyone for it or "cancel" them for mentioning inlines or breechloaders ect. A house divided will fail!

When I got into handmade traditional rifles, I wanted to build a full stock .54 Hawken. I still have the barrel and triggers. I never found a flint hawken lock. It was my dream gun, then I got an Isaac Haines replica from Gene Davis and that has been my go to ever since.

I think Thompson Center did a world of good for Muzzle loading in the long run. Were they wrong to name their rifle a Hawkins, Probably but it sold a lot of rifles and got people started in a new field., that might not have gotten aboard or even got started. My self included..... When it comes to Marketing and Hollywood, truth is rarely respected........Sometimes it is best to grin and move on.

What is there about carrying a "Hawken" style MZ when hunting. Mine has always been my favorite "go to" gun for Michigan deer hunting. I like the feel, looks, balance, and authority. When I pull the trigger Im satisfied with the results. Ive stated before Ive hunted with that gun for 30 years and killed 2 deer a year on the average. Ive set in blinds with it, stalked corn fields, dragged it through brush, and hidden in deer drives. I have my glasses now and the old friendship is renewed. My favorite.

Arguably, the 2 rifles most responsible for the resurgence of muzzleloading were the repop 1863 Remington " Zouave" and the TC Hawken.
True, the TC isn't a true Hawken, but its a superb rifle nonetheless.
In fact, for the modern hunter, sans horse, a better rifle. I had a Browning Mountain Rifle awhile back. Decently Hawken( ish), but too heavy for a hunter afoot. I'm referring to the mountain man era. Most of those fellows were on horse, where rifle weight was no bother.
Quite honestly, my P53 Enfield rifle musket was a delight compared to the Browning.
The TC, as I understand the story, was styled more along the lines of a late New England style rifle. But because of " Jeremiah Johnson" and it was a half stock, Hawken was a good marketing ploy.
Bravo TC! Thank you for getting so many of us burning Holy Black and having more fun than human beings should be allowed to have!

Agree that the Thompson/Center Hawken brought affordable muzzleloading shooting/hunting to the masses. By its introduction, the United States was in the midst of the second Golden Age of muzzleloading. And the Navy Arms Company .58 caliber Zouave rifled musket, along with the T/C Hawken played no small part in making that 2nd Golden Age of muzzleloading the continuing success that it has been.

When Knight, White, Gonic, and all of the other early inline manufacturers got really going in the 80's & 90's, it provoked a resurgence in the interest in muzzleloading that had been slowly dying.

Now we are in a unique place where the interest in shooting bullets with BH209 as the propellant of choice has skyrocketed, along with a worldwide Covid-19 epidemic that
has put the components necessary to shoot inlines out of reach for a great many of those inline shooters.

The components are either unavailable for purchase, or the cost has risen to the point that recreational inline shooting has declined to a small percentage of what it was just 2 years ago.

Thanks all! After the first group, I put a piece of paper behind the target and moved it after each group. Glad I did!
1st- 3x 7/16, 2x1/4
2nd- 3x15/16, 2x 3/8
3rd - 4x 1 1/8, 3x 9/16, 2x 3/16
In these groups, first number is the size, subsequent numbers are the smallest 2 ( or 3) within the group.
I've started resting the rifle on the nose cap. It has made a difference.
Not my flintlock. Neither will shoot like this. Its my factory laminate percussion Hawken.
Call her Autumn for the browns, red and gold in her stock.
She's a peach for sure!
thats one sharp looking stock!!

Back