TC Hawkin 45 and heavy lead conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadball

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done some good testing of how well a 1 in 48 inch twist Hawkin shoots heavier conicals

Ya I saw the 50 and 54 and his Rice barreled 45s videos but I was wondering about a stock 1 in 48" twist .45cal.

This: TC Hawken .50 cal accuracy test ( unfired kit rifle). In this video he was shooting a 1-48 twist with conical bullets.

Idaho Ron, check out his posts on here and videos on youtube regarding his .45 hot rod hawken.
Walk

you are limited by the twist rate. Accurate 340I mold, maybe a 330 Gould bullet is about all.
I’m using the Gould and the 340i bullet in a 45 caliber Hawken. They’re great bullets and accurate with heavier charges. I shoot the same bullets in my Rigby and from a 9 pound rifle with a shotgun buttplate it is much more comfortable. The Hawken becomes tiresome after a dozen or so rounds of 80 grains Swiss.

Using Greenhill's formula a 250 grain .45 caliber bullet, I used an XTP for this, requires a 1-49 twist to stabilize. I suspect that longer bullets/conicals will require a faster twist. A 300 grain .45 XTP requires a 1-39 1/2 to stabilize. That bullet does VERY well in my 1-38 Firehawk.
Having said this, some rifles are not familiar with Greenhill, and do just what they please.
Btw. A 250 grain .45 caliber will quickly reduce a critter to neatly wrapped packages, or suc- a- luxed baggies, in your freezer...

I have several 1: 48 rifles. I only shoot T/C Maxis in 370 and 430 grains and they all group very well. They like heavy charges.
What caliber(s) ? A 425gr .54 maxi is shorter than a 425gr (or 430... close enough) .50 maxi... and needed twist is all about bullet length to diameter ratios and how fast it is moving....

FWIW my .54 CVA percussion shoots the DGW .54 Maxis about as well as I can shoot with the bad-setup-for-my-eyes irons (2" at 50y). Really need to do something about better sights ....

What caliber(s) ? A 425gr .54 maxi is shorter than a 425gr (or 430... close enough) .50 maxi... and needed twist is all about bullet length to diameter ratios and how fast it is moving....

FWIW my .54 CVA percussion shoots the DGW .54 Maxis about as well as I can shoot with the bad-setup-for-my-eyes irons (2" at 50y). Really need to do something about better sights ....
50 cal 370gr maxi on top of 80g 3F, 54 cal 430g on top of 90g 3F.
I get 2" pretty easily depending on rifle. My T/C Hawken will do 1.25" at 50 yards. Note that I shoot for deer accuracy as I don't shoot competition. I expect that if I made a serious effort I could shrink those groups but I am satisfied with my current results.

Latest posts

Back