TC Maxi “Hunters” .54, and .45 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know we've gotten off topic but I'm interested in the specifics of your Hawken/Hoyt 40.
This is a Hawken I picked up cheap because the barrel was pitted, finish was gone, but everything was there and remarkably, the stock was in really good condition with some of the walnut burl that t/c sometimes used. I paid 150 for the works and then shipped it to Bobby Hoyt to be relined and bored .40/.408 with 1:14 rifling. I mounted a 17 Lyman up front and the Williams fp rear. It’s gone through other changes and now I’m thinking about mounting the barrel in a glass bedded Renegade stock... I still have yet to blue or brown the barrel, and I haven’t mounted the under rib and thimbles and I may never. It looks like (in Lewis’ words) a poor mans Gibbs...

This is a Hawken I picked up cheap because the barrel was pitted, finish was gone, but everything was there and remarkably, the stock was in really good condition with some of the walnut burl that t/c sometimes used. I paid 150 for the works and then shipped it to Bobby Hoyt to be relined and bored .40/.408 with 1:14 rifling. I mounted a 17 Lyman up front and the Williams fp rear. It’s gone through other changes and now I’m thinking about mounting the barrel in a glass bedded Renegade stock... I still have yet to blue or brown the barrel, and I haven’t mounted the under rib and thimbles and I may never. It looks like (in Lewis’ words) a poor mans Gibbs...

That sounds like a fun one :lewis:

That 14 twist is WAY to fast for this little Short 180 Grain Bullet. I had this Bullet/Mold made for the 1:37 Twist (Hoyt Rebore) .40 TC Senecas. This would be a Good Bullet for a .40 Pistol, i have a New .401 Lee Push Through Sizer for it as well

That sounds like a fun one :lewis:

That 14 twist is WAY to fast for this little Short 180 Grain Bullet. I had this Bullet/Mold made for the 1:37 Twist (Hoyt Rebore) .40 TC Senecas. This would be a Good Bullet for a .40 Pistol, i have a New .401 Lee Push Through Sizer for it as well
It’s a great little rifle. Once the kid gets her hands on it it could be lost forever! And I’m ok with that.

I have killed bear and moose here in Maine with maxi-ball. Never shot maxi-hunters. There was a rumor years ago that the Maxi- balls were more accurate. It would be interesting to see if it's true or BS!
Nit Wit

Latest posts

Back