TC Maxi “Hunters” .54, and .45 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally found a 45 maxi-hunter mold. Brand new and dusty as can be. $25. I also found a set of Lyman handles for $25 that includes a .40 mold and a like new CVA Prospector .44. $125 All this for less than $200! I feel kinda like a thief. I want to try the Maxi-hunters in this prospector. What a sweet little gun.
16119699687027598146770570228117.jpg

I finally found a 45 maxi-hunter mold. Brand new and dusty as can be. $25. I also found a set of Lyman handles for $25 that includes a .40 mold and a like new CVA Prospector .44. $125 All this for less than $200! I feel kinda like a thief. I want to try the Maxi-hunters in this prospector. What a sweet little gun.
View attachment 12683

AWESOME DEAL!! You Scored :lewis:

The 275 grain maxi hunter in 50 caliber has been my go to conical bullet for at least 30 years. Shot a whole bunch of deer with it.
Would like to try some in my 45 but don't think they would work good in a 1/66 twist barrel.

The prospector is a legit .44. I thought is was actually going to be .45 as some .44 revolvers are. I had a .44 mold and gave it away. Guess i need to find another.

The 275 grain maxi hunter in 50 caliber has been my go to conical bullet for at least 30 years. Shot a whole bunch of deer with it.
Would like to try some in my 45 but don't think they would work good in a 1/66 twist barrel.

These .45 maxihunters are pretty small at 255 grain. You never know they may shoot ok for you in that 1-66. There were a few packs of maxi-hunter bullets there. I could get you a pack if you want to try them out.

The prospector is a legit .44. I thought is was actually going to be .45 as some .44 revolvers are. I had a .44 mold and gave it away. Guess i need to find another.

These .45 maxihunters are pretty small at 255 grain. You never know they may shoot ok for you in that 1-66. There were a few packs of maxi-hunter bullets there. I could get you a pack if you want to try them out.
Yes, I would. I'll PM you with my personal information. I can send you a check for postage and what you need for the bullets.

I have a .54 Maxi Ball mold and a Renegade. They don't play well together. I attempted to shot the MB through the Renegade but ended up being frustrated. I gave up on it and put the Renegade in the safe. Over the holidays I got a chance to visit with a old friend and fellow Renegade owner. He has had a similar experience with the MB. His remedy is to the side lock round balls. When things slow down I am going back to the shooting table.

I have a .54 Maxi Ball mold and a Renegade. They don't play well together. I attempted to shot the MB through the Renegade but ended up being frustrated. I gave up on it and put the Renegade in the safe. Over the holidays I got a chance to visit with a old friend and fellow Renegade owner. He has had a similar experience with the MB. His remedy is to the side lock round balls. When things slow down I am going back to the shooting table.

Starting out, I had the same experience with my Renegade and MBs. It was shooting PRBs great, but could not get MBs to group. I gave up on MBs. After a couple of years, I got back the MBs and kept tryng different loads. I eventually found that 80 grn (volume) of Pyrodex RS was the combo. I am using MBs I have molded myself. Lubed with T/C bore butter. Your mileage may vary.

My .54 Renegade never shot the Maxi Ball well either. Results were 4-5" at 50 yards no matter what I tried. Now my .50 T/C Hawken shoots them in little clover leaf patterns at 50 yards.

View attachment 12683
Hmmmm... about that .40 mold... any idea what you have there?

Interesting... are you thinking about turning loose of it? I’m currently using Baco 330 and 400 grain paper patched bullets but looking for grease groove molds for my Hawken/Hoyt .40.

This is the Bullet, Drops from the Mold at .403, I even have Sizers .40 Cal
crutPSH.jpg

MaYWSrw.jpg

I'll cast a few from it and see what i get.
I appreciate that MM!
This is the Bullet, Drops from the Mold at .403, I even have Sizers .40 Cal
crutPSH.jpg

MaYWSrw.jpg
I have a great granddaughter coming up to hunting age... that one might be a dandy antelope bullet. Prairie poodles and coyotes if nothing else... I’ll pm you Lewis.
oh yeah, I remember you saying you have turned off your pms... shoot me one if you want.

Back