TC Maxi “Hunters” .54, and .45 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I recently ran across this .54 Cal TC Maxi Hunter Mold Brand new in it’s Package, I Had to have it 👍 I got it for a Very Reasonable price.

7376 is the .54 Cal
GPY5u4yl.jpg

3JgBq9nl.jpg

Cast of Pure Lead
aIRSvtWl.jpg

6gcl8Ysl.jpg

It Casts a REALLY Nice Bullet 👍
RG5S0fpl.jpg

The above New .54 Cal TC Maxi “Hunter” Mold is a Good Companion to my .45 Cal, The .45 Cals seem to be MUCH Harder to Find, I have only see a Couple of them. Again, i got a REALLY Good deal on this one, Brand New in the Package

Here is my 7374 .45 Cal before i pulled it from the Package
WMmmdUul.jpg

This is kinda neat, Back of the TC Mold Packaging shows the Mold Numbers
jJ7uFqTl.jpg

7ZvilUFl.jpg

This .45 Cal Maxi “Hunter” Mold Casts a VERY Nice Bullet as Well 👍
pOiuD1vl.jpg

Thanks for posting, I’ve never seen a TC Mold before. I’ll keep an eye out. How do these compare to the Lee REAL Bullets? The TC looks like it would hold more grease.

Thanks for posting, I’ve never seen a TC Mold before. I’ll keep an eye out. How do these compare to the Lee REAL Bullets? The TC looks like it would hold more grease.

I haven’t shot enough of the Lee R.E.A.L.s to Know? I had a Lee REAL Mold for 54 Cal a Few Years ago and Sold it, I can’t remember much about it? I have Contemplated getting another Lee REAL Mold in 50 Cal to Play Around with.

These TC Molds are Good, They can Bring a Premium since they are no Longer Made. If a Guy can get a Brand New one in the 50-60 Dollar Range that is Reasonable :lewis: Especially for the “Hunter” Molds. As for the Maxi Ball Molds, Before i Spent TC Collector Type Price on a Mold, I would look for a Lyman Maxi Ball Mold, Lyman is Steel and in my Opinion Far Better Quality Because of them Being Made of Steel. Lyman Stil makes the .50 Maxi, But I don’t believe they Make the .54 Maxi anymore? I have a Lyman Maxi in .54 Cal, and a Few TC Maxi Ball Molds in .54 Cal as well. Lyman NEVER made the Maxi “Hunter” Molds, ONLY the Maxi Balls

I had the impression the Maxi Hunter bullets performed better on game than the TC Maxiball. The theory, which I believe is correct as theory, but may not apply here was added stability. The bullet has to penetrate various tissue layer and must have enough 'extra' spin or it will tumble or go off course. The Maxiball is a longer bullet needs more spin than a shorter bullet. On paper targets the accuracy is excellent, but; on impact with game you want more stability than on paper. The other undesirable characteristic is the Maxiball is light up front with a wide lube band. That is less stable, the reverse of what you would want. Maybe better off to load the MaxiBall backwards? The weight on the two was same or close enough.

I am retired and been shooting 22 and cf. Going to get re-acquainted with muzzle loaders next. I order REAL molds. If not for price and availability, I would have tried the TC hunter. I did not know Lyman made either TC mold. IMHO, they chose the wrong bullet.

Been a long time since I saw a T/C mold. I worked for a muzzleloader shop for better than a dozen years and used to pour coffee can fulls of the Maxi Hunters and Maxi Ball bullets in .50 and .54 calibers for sale in the shop.

Dad has a .54 Renegade that he always shot the Maxi Ball in and it is terrifically accurate with that bullet. He had no problem hitting pop cans at 100 yards with open sights using the Maxi Ball.

Because the Maxi Hunters were supposed to be designed for expansion, we tried to switch him over to the Maxi Hunters and accuracy as horrible. Moved back to the Maxi Ball and all was well.

I guess you really don't need expansion when you are already punching a .54 hole through both sides of what you are shooting at. :cool:

I had the impression the Maxi Hunter bullets performed better on game than the TC Maxiball. The theory, which I believe is correct as theory, but may not apply here was added stability. The bullet has to penetrate various tissue layer and must have enough 'extra' spin or it will tumble or go off course. The Maxiball is a longer bullet needs more spin than a shorter bullet. On paper targets the accuracy is excellent, but; on impact with game you want more stability than on paper. The other undesirable characteristic is the Maxiball is light up front with a wide lube band. That is less stable, the reverse of what you would want. Maybe better off to load the MaxiBall backwards? The weight on the two was same or close enough.

I am retired and been shooting 22 and cf. Going to get re-acquainted with muzzle loaders next. I order REAL molds. If not for price and availability, I would have tried the TC hunter. I did not know Lyman made either TC mold. IMHO, they chose the wrong bullet.

The reason that many match "high-powered rifle" bullets have a void under the small hollow point is that the center of gravity of the bullet is pushed toward the base of the bullet for better stability.

It is opposite from the arrow, where you want the center of gravity to be at the front end of the arrow.

As far as penetration, the Maxi Ball plows a straight line through whatever it hits.

I have a Few Old TC Manuals, they list 3 different Weights of Maxi Balls for .45 .50, and .54, and 3 Different Weights of Maxi Hunters for .45, .50, and .54 Cal

I have always wondered what exactly the Deal was there? I ran across this Picture, Which would Explain it. For .50 Cal they list a 275, a 350, and a 470 Grain Maxi Hunter
8ivcESf.jpg

I haven’t shot enough of the Lee R.E.A.L.s to Know? I had a Lee REAL Mold for 54 Cal a Few Years ago and Sold it, I can’t remember much about it? I have Contemplated getting another Lee REAL Mold in 50 Cal to Play Around with.

These TC Molds are Good, They can Bring a Premium since they are no Longer Made. If a Guy can get a Brand New one in the 50-60 Dollar Range that is Reasonable :lewis: Especially for the “Hunter” Molds. As for the Maxi Ball Molds, Before i Spent TC Collector Type Price on a Mold, I would look for a Lyman Maxi Ball Mold, Lyman is Steel and in my Opinion Far Better Quality Because of them Being Made of Steel. Lyman Stil makes the .50 Maxi, But I don’t believe they Make the .54 Maxi anymore? I have a Lyman Maxi in .54 Cal, and a Few TC Maxi Ball Molds in .54 Cal as well. Lyman NEVER made the Maxi “Hunter” Molds, ONLY the Maxi Balls
I’ll send you mine for a while. I don’t shoot them. Haven’t tried them in the Renegade though. They may shoot great (probably will) out of that 1:48 twist.

I shoot the TC Maxi Ball out of my .54 Renegade and Thunderhawk. Both are extremely accurate and real game getters. I have shot production rounds and ones I've molded. Both are deadly. I don't have any experience with the Maxi Hunter. I have a few I picked up in trade sitting on the shelf. I guess I should give them try.

They say the Maxi Balls are for penetration and they are not wrong. One season I shot a buck straight in the chest (the only shot I had) as he watched me. I was shooting the Maxi Ball with 80 grains Pyrodex RS. He was about 40 yards away. The ball hit the chest dead center, passed end to end of the deer and broke a femur bone in his hind leg and kept going.

I’ll send you mine for a while. I don’t shoot them. Haven’t tried them in the Renegade though. They may shoot great (probably will) out of that 1:48 twist.
I think it’s a two cavity. Don’t remember for sure. Going to the post office in the morning, I can send it up if you want to cast it and try it before you buy one...

Back