TC "New Englander" Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have had a TC "New Englander" for several years. Saw it in a pawn shop and it was so clean and the price low that I couldn't resist it. I have only shot it a couple times at the range and was using PBs at the time. Never really hunted with it.

But...I would like to this fall. I got a box of Hornady Great Plains pre-lubed conicals with it that I have never shot. They are .410 gr. So my question is, being accustomed to inlines and sabots, is this bullet a good bullet to hunt with? It seems a little heavy to me.

I also have plenty of 777ffg and would appreciate input on volume.

Thanks for any advice.

The 410 grain flat point Hornady Great Plains bullet (now discontinued, sadly) was one of the best shooting bullets out of my New Englander. I launched them with 75 grains of Pyrodex RS and killed quite a few deer with that gun and load.

those will shoot just fine out of the rifle. Use about 75 grains of powder abd anything gets in the way of that thing is in a world of hurt.

So for wads can I just use a cotton patch or do I need to buy specific wads? Also, is the conical wrapped in the wad or does the wad go in first then the conical?

Sorry to sound ignorant about this but have always used sabots and inlines. When I did shoot this gun years ago I shot round balls and wrapped them in cleaning patches.

Unless you are paper patching a bullet, you do not put a patch around a conical. If you have no wad then try putting some cornmeal on top of the powder and then put the conical down onto the cornmeal.

Wad

The wads that are refered to here are felt wads in specific cal.,ie; 50,54.They are sold in bags of 100 as I recall

As Cayugad said, about ten grains of corn meal (or grits, cream of wheat, etc.) between the bullet and powder will do the job. Also a wadded up patch. I've use sheets of toilet paper wadded into a ball and lightly lubed with bore butter with good results.

I have a New England also, seem to shoot better with 70 to 80 graind of powder, sub or real. Could never get it to shoot conicals that well, until I back off the powder. I shot roundballs in mine with cloth patches and also poly patchs, wish they were still around.

I shoot sabot in it now TC 240grs. all lead cheap shot, 70 grns. powder Pyrodex rs

My 54 likes the Buffalo bullets , haven't seen any for awhile so cast my own, drop of super glue on the bottom and a felt wad un greased and 70grs FFg

It never shot well with 777 unless i used the hotter caps or used the musket wingless type

You did not say if your New Englander is a .50, or a .54 caliber, but have you considered a patched round ball? I have New Englanders in both calibers, and they shoot a PRB very well. If using 777, I would start at 70 grains, and work up with a PRB. You can buy pre-cut patches, or cut your own from pillow ticking material, that can be had at Wal-Mart. Cut at the muzzle, or pre- cut them either square, or round. Either shoots just as well.

54TCNEnew002.jpg

I have a New Englander in .54 caliber with a synthetic stock, and two of them in .50 caliber with wood stocks, and a 12 gauge barrel that fits the New Englander as well. Makes a good grouse shotgun. I normally shoot patched roundball out of my rifles.

*New Englander*

Near to my heart!
I have had a New Englander that I bought new close to 30 years ago. I bought both the 50 cal and the 12 gauge barrels then, and wish that I had bought the 54 cal as well. Mine is left Handed like me. Still I look for a good .54 barrel in Left Hand... Ok, so the thread has been usurped by the TC New Englander, and that is OK by me, as I love mine.
Other than PRB, my .50 likes the TC MAXI best of all, but the best I seem to get is 2" +/- groups at 100 yds. Mine does not seem to like wads of any kind, and I have tried them all. I get about the same group size with a sabotted 300 grain cast bullet (harvester crush rib and .451 dia.). I have not tried the longer bullets due to the 1:48 twist, but sometimes the 1:48 will suprise me with stability of longer boolets. Mine will shoot 5"@100 with a greased 'paper sabot" and 405 gr .458 lee cast, but they are not all that stable by the time they reach 100 yds.
mocons

Ha! The New Englander was out of production by the time I got around to looking for one. Never found one I was willing to spend money on, they were all pretty rough. But I did snag a couple of Greyhawks and a couple of Black Mountain Magnums (all 50s) as well as a shotgun barrel and a spare 54 barrel. Even though they range from homely (GH) to ugly (BMM) I still have and love them all.

Think I may have over-compensated?

Sorry about reviving this old thread.

No such thing as over compensating with muzzleloaders. I have TC- Thunderhawk, Firehawk, Hawken and a Renegade. 3 fifties and a fifty-four. Then there's my custom .50 flintlock long rifle and my repop P53 Enfield .577
If it trips your sear, its a beautiful thing!

Latest posts

Back