TC New Englander newer member here........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well guys, I became a member here this morning. A lot of very good information on here for sure.

I made a thread that I thought was going to be posted on the trad forum, but I wound up posting it somewhere else. So, considering trad ML has held my interest for many moons now, I wanted to repost most of it here.

So far, I've owned a TC Renegade 54 cal which I wish I had never gotten rid of. It shot RB very well. Back in the early 80's.

Also had a .50 cal TC Hawken. That thing shot Maxi Balls very accurately. Late 80's early 90's. Killed a few whitetails with it.

Bought a Black Knight way back when but I don't have much use for it. Love the old side hammer ML.

Now have a TC New Englander .50 cal. I haven't shot it in a long time. Been into the archery hunting gig but my "want bumps" started itching way bad so I'm back in the ML mode once again. Purchased this smoke pole new in 2004 for an elk hunt. Scored an elk with it and have not used it since. Not into target shooting all that much but I am a die hard hunter. Best of my memory it shoots a Maxi Ball pretty darn accurately. My loads have been 80 grains of 3F black powder, 370 grain hand molded Maxie Balls, and a magnum cap.

Now here's where things just changed for this ole boy. I dug my ole smoke pole out a few days ago and when I looked through the sights, they were fuzzy. Yep, my aging peepers has degraded some since the last time I fired my old smoke pole. I gave some serious consideration to installing a scope on it, but I just couldn't make myself do so. Nothing against scopes, nor anyone that may have one on their smoke poles, but it kind of puts a burr in my saddle thinking about installing one on my personal trad rifle.

All of this called for some serious head scratching. So, looking back on when I first purchased the rifle, something came to my memory. When I first got it, I was hoping to shoot round balls, but that was not to be. Try as I did (many times) I could not for the life of me get it to shoot accurately. Different patch thickness, brands, varied the powder charge, 490 and 495 RB, etc. So not sure what was going on, I purchased and installed a Williams Peep sight for it (I think it is). For whatever reason, I switched back to the original iron sights and put the peep in my ML box.

This brings us up to date. A couple days ago I got out my box of ML toys and accessories (possibles) and took out the peep. Removed the old rear sight and installed the peep once again. I had kept the fine fiber optic front bead I had installed years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can see through the peep just fine, the front bead is plain and crisp, and, for the first time in my life, I can actually see to shoot with both eyes open. I aimed down the hill into the woods behind my house and I can easily keep a good bead on even somewhat smaller objects 80 yards + away. And better yet, I am shocked that I can actually see both sights and whatever I am aiming at from that distance at darn near dark thirty. I would have never thought that could be. I suppose that's one reason the older military rifles of WW2 was equipped with peeps.

Now I don't need to be getting the cart ahead of the wagon because I have not shot it yet, but I have high hopes for something I had figured was darn near a loss cause. Not sure if its the size of the peep or what, but I am happy as can be.

Guys, meet Mr. Magee. First name.........Hershel.

Attachments

• New Englander .50.jpg
    New Englander .50.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you, sir.

I hope you can find an affordable peep that will accommodate your vision that will fit your Renegade. Its been since 2004 that I purchased mine when I lived in Idaho so I do not remember the cost back then. But I can attest that for whatever reason, this one has blown my mind at how well I can see out of it with my aging eyes. I do remember buying a different ML peep at first but it wasn't working for me even back then with better vision. It was one of those taller tang type that had a very small hole in a disc. I knew as soon as I installed it that it was not going to work for my style of hunting. But boy howdy, this one sure works.

Very nice! I'm glad you could keep things the way you want (no scope). I have about given up on open sights because of aging eyes. If I could afford a peep on my T/C Renegade, I would do it. I do have a fiber optic front sight and it has helped.
You might look into the Skinner Peep. Very reasonable and they’re good solid hunting sights.

That’s not a Williams peep that’s a TC peep sight.Hard to find and they bring pretty good money.
Thank you for the clarification. Its been so long since I purchased it that I really didn't remember. I do know I purchased a tang style peep for it but it was not going to happen for this ole boy.

Very nice! I'm glad you could keep things the way you want (no scope). I have about given up on open sights because of aging eyes. If I could afford a peep on my T/C Renegade, I would do it. I do have a fiber optic front sight and it has helped.
Somewhere someone posted a pic of a sling swivel stud he’d installed on a Moisin Nagant. You could easily drill and tap your Renegade tang and install a swivel stud as a ghost ring peep! This one is from pacific tool and gauge. $10.00 before shipping. 10-32 thread pattern. You could go crazy and drill and tap the hole and have interchangeable apertures!AC58C312-5301-447F-9866-5C2D7DE618C7.jpeg

Peep sights act as what's called a pin hole lense, and actually improve your vision. The smaller the peep, the more effective the lense and the greater the depth of field (depth of field is the range of distances which are in focus on your retina - the photosensitive surface inside your eye) it provides.... but since smaller peeps let less light get to your eye, they aren't very effective in low light. However, even a ghost ring peep provides a small lense effect. The lense effect is a GREAT thing for us old guys.

The best way to use a peep is to mount it as close as possible to your eye, and to focus only on the front sight and the target. Your brain will subconsciously align your eye with the center of the peep, so there is no need to see it at all. That also helps us old timers because the closest thing we have to pay attention to is our front sight, and even our old tired eyes have enough depth of field to develop simultaneous sharp images of the front sight and the target.

Until red dot sights came along, ghost ring peep sights were the fastest on target of all sights, and that's why the military used them until red dot sights (some of them with integrated night vision devices) became sufficiently compact and rugged for military use - which is a very recent development. A ghost ring peep is as fast on target as a red dot sight, but it lacks the relative parallax freedom of red dots.

Skinner peeps are really low profile on a rifle, they are as rugged as you can get, they are fully adjustable, they offer a wide range of easily interchanged aperature sizes, and they look good on rifles. My Henry .45-70 lever-action carbine (home defense, timber hunting, and grizz protection) rifle wears one, and my Renegade will wear one as soon as I get it mounted. I could screw the Skinner peep into the mounting holes for the Renegade's stock rear sight, but I'm going to have the Renegade drilled and tapped to mount the Skinner peep with rear of the sight aligned with back of the breech plug so that it is very close to my eye.

Where did you get your rear peep sight? I want and need a couple of them. I can't find any... Anywhere. With T/C gone, so are their peep sights.

I got it at a gun shop in Boise ID back in about 2003. This one is thought to be a TC peep, but I honestly do not remember. There are other peeps that are fairly similar out there. A Williams peep is very similar but I do not know if they will require gun smith work for install. All I had to do with this one was to drill and tap one hole in the tang.

You might want to look into some sort of Ghost Ring Peep.

Last edited:
There are some of the thimbles on eBay but you would need to grind the sling stud down. Have done this before.

Where did you get your rear peep sight? I want and need a couple of them. I can't find any... Anywhere. With T/C gone, so are their peep sights.
Another peep that might work out for you is one of those old style tang peeps. The one I had at one time was very adjustable, especially for elevation. The reason why I didn't like it at the time was the disc for the peep, as well as the hole itself, was way too small for my liking, at that time. I wished I had kept that one because I would have drilled out the hole larger in the peep. It would be nice for long shots out west to have such a sight with large, quick and easy elevation adjustments. In fact, I wouldn't mind having one for here IF I can work up an accurate load for 100 yards plus for my ML.

Skinner peeps are readily available. Thompson Center

Williams make a ramp-mounted peep called the WGRS for many rifles, and I have them on a couple of in-lines. Adjustments are a little crude, but they are fully adjustable. They also make a peep with target knobs which has finer adjustments. Ecommerce

Back