TC Omega 200+yards deer killer ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlinmonty

Reaction score
Im not completely new to ML hunting Got a few bucks under my belt with the Omega . But I want just one time to have a 250 yd say deer thumper . Hopefully not that far but when the gods present you with a great prize across a field I want to be able to make that shot , cleanly .

So fellas , I am considering a different rifle , for sure different load to get to the 250 mark . I have had the Omega about 5 years and honestly never tried anything other than the PB 295 with triple 7 100 grain pellets . It has served my needs well but now I want to stretch it out there some as our lease has the longer shots .

Is the Omega the rifle I need to do this ? Or sell it and get a CVA PR ? The Omega is a bear to clean . But I have already learned that the bore butter may be the biggest nono I have been doing .

I aint no spring chicken anymore ,60 . I don't really want a rifle or load that kills on both ends ,LOL .

I will have many questions in my quest and I hope not to drive anyone nuts doing so . LOL

MM

Without question your Omega is capable of 250yd harvests, but I suggest not with your current bullet and charge.

If you were to change propellant to BH209 and shoot a better bullet, your Omega can be a 250yd capable rifle. Of course its shooter dependent also.

I've dumped many at that range with TC Encores and Pro Hunters.

Great news Encore50A . Honestly figured the rifle was capable . But , man its almost impossible to get that first 6 in of the barrel really clean even with this rifle that cant have more than 50 shots threw it . One reason Im am considering the Nitrate treated barrel .

Great news Encore50A . Honestly figured the rifle was capable . But , man its almost impossible to get that first 6 in of the barrel really clean even with this rifle that cant have more than 50 shots threw it . One reason Im am considering the Nitrate treated barrel .

Once you stop shooting T7, things will change significantly for you. You'll eliminate crud rings that hamper/hinder loading. I'd get rid of the bore butter also.
Your rifle IS capable, its just going to take a few changes. I have a good friend I worked with at GM for over 30yrs. You couldn't beg, borrow, or steal his Omega from him. IIRC he shoots 115grs VOLUME of BH209, with a 290gr Barnes T-EZ bullets. I know his personal longest kill was either 283 or 287yds.

There are many quality bullets that you can use with much higher BC's and are proven functioning bullets. Its all about finding the right combination. Some of the bullets available can be shot and function much further than what you're asking. Its surprising just how far and accurate the rifle can be.

But again, it takes a lot of practice at longer range.

By golly . Well heck yes that is good news and thanks . I feel good shooting the 250 yards and have shot farther with a centerfire rifle but I honestly don't set up to have to shoot that far . I treestand hunt with a bow over feeders . But 2 stands offer a big ol long shot on a haygrazzer field . I have a good range finder and stands have shooting rails .

My eyes aren't what they used to be by any stretch but we can have scope in Oklahoma thank goodness . That dang CVA PR sure is a fine looking rig I gotta say LOL .

MM

+1 on the advice Encore has given. New powder and definitely new bullets. One other consideration is you may need to upgrade your scope too (for the 250yrd shots) depending on what you are currently using. The Omega is a fine rifle and most shooting them would not part with them to easily.

If you like the CVA, save up and get it to add to your collection. Always room for one more Muzzleloader.;)

The way I see it is if Jonny jumps off the bridge, I should also. Especially after a doe......if and only it was a buck of a lifetime and I sleep with gun between me and the wife.

At the range where I shoot 200 yds is the farthest I can shoot. My X7 can shoot 3 inch four shot group at that distance. The TEZ 290 shoots great. However not quite as good as the 275 grain Fury with 100 grains of black horn inside of the crush rib. What a great combo. I'd planned hunting the late season but can't walk very well thanks to a bum knee. Looks like total knee replacement in the near future.

At the range where I shoot 200 yds is the farthest I can shoot. My X7 can shoot 3 inch four shot group at that distance. The TEZ 290 shoots great. However not quite as good as the 275 grain Fury with 100 grains of black horn inside of the crush rib. What a great combo. I'd planned hunting the late season but can't walk very well thanks to a bum knee. Looks like total knee replacement in the near future.

Sorry about the knee, as I have one giving me fits also. Every 8 to 10 months I get a cortisone shot that gets me through another 8-10 months. What really helps for my situation is a brace. Makes me much more stable and keeps the knee in position. At minimum it helps mentally ;)

Many will never understand the actual abilities of modern inline rifles, but that's also because many just never have need.
With the right combination, any modern inline is more than capable of 200yd+. It is not however, something that should be attempted without a LOT of practice to build confidence.

Other than my smokeless, my Omega was the next easiest muzzleloader I ever cleaned! And I was shooting 777 in it.

+1 Of all the ml's I have, the Omega is this easiest to clean. BH 209 is your friend

Latest posts

Back