TC Omega .50 loads ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdaws

Reaction score
TC Omega.jpg
Just a quick question for all of you out there that have much more experience than me. I just picked up the rifle in the picture (less the scope) and I am wondering what works well in the Omega. I'm sure that there are a whole bunch of you who either shoot an Omega in 50 cal or did for years. I'm looking at XTP either .430 240gr or .452 250gr. Do I use harvester crush sabots or MMP. What do you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Every gun is different so you'll likely have to shoot various bullet/sabots and powders, maybe even primers, to find the gun's sweet spot. Either of the bullets you mention are shooters as well as great hunting bullets inside of about 200 yards. The sabots I like as well as all of my guns are the Harvesters but MMP makes good a product too. I think most people begin with Harvesters. The powder will steer you big time. If you're going to use BH209 and are using a volume measure, I'd start at 90 grains and increase by five grains every five shots and cleaning the plug's flash channel at each increase. Lots of the 50 cals using those bullets like 100 to 110 grains by volume. Personally I'd stay away from pellets of any kind. T7 granular will give results very close to the BH209 and is way easier to find right now so maybe begin with that powder. Sabots are relatively cheap so perhaps get a regular sabot and crush ribs for each bullet caliber to do your load work up. Winchester, CCI and Federal are all good primers to begin with. I use Winchester shotshell reloading primers in all of my guns as well as CCI when I'm playing at the range.

Others will chime in I'm sure.

Nice looking gun by the way.

My omega x7 likes the.452 300gr xtp and SPEER .454 300gr deep curls in a crush rib. I think her favorite is the Hornaday 350 FPB.

I'm really looking forward to shooting it once I can get out and spend some serious time. Having an idea of what works for others is good in terms of narrowing down choices. I really appreciate the input.

I would try a Harvester Crushrib sabot first in a T/C. MMP 3 Petal EZ if its a really tight one.

In my opinion 100-110 (by vol) is a waste of powder, I use 70-80grs of loose T3/fff and have no problem making 100 yard shoots. Just my $.02.
I would say any load is a waste if it does not shoot well. Ive had several loads that did not come together until enough powder was used. Then we have how well the projectile performs at that speed so its not all cut and dried as to what is "a waste of powder". A bullet that pencils through because its not moving fast enough to expand is more than a waste...its unethical if used on game.

Congrats on your Omega, I have one identical to yours. Great rifles for sure, mine is still my primary deer hunting rifle. I will give you a couple "basic" loads that I have used in mine that produce on average 1 1/4"-1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, with occasional groups closer to one inch.

1. 250 grain T/C Shockwave/Hornady SST bullet with the supplied black sabot (I believe they are MMP?), 90 grain VOLUME Blackhorn 209, and CCI Magnum 209 primer.

2. Same bullet/sabot as above, 100 grain VOLUME Triple 7 FFG loose powder, and Winchester Triple 7 209 primer.

I know the Omegas shoot XTP bullets well too so if you have them go for it. I was wanting to try the Harvester sabots because the black MMP sabots are a pretty snug fit in my bore, but the groups with the load combos above were always good so I really didn't complain. But like the others have said the Harvesters might be something you want to try as well. I would also start low on powder with your measure and work up to find the "sweet spot". Finding the powder and primers may be hit and miss right now, that's why I gave you two different combos so maybe you can find enough to work with at the moment. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :lewis:

Last edited:
My Omega really likes 110gr of BH209, Win. 209 primer, and a Harvester short black sabot with either a .452, 250. gr Shockwave or a .452 300 gr. Speer Deepcurl . I really like the Speer Deepcurl/Gold Dot bullet. I am about to start working on a new load using a Harvester green crushed rib sabot and .430, 300 gr. Harvester White Ligntening bullet. I'm hoping to push it with 110 - 120 gr. BH 209. I'll try to post how this combo works.

90gr of 2F T7 or BH209 powder, black Hornady sabots and about any 250gr Barnes, FTX or other .452 bullet. Be sure to use hot 209 primers. Federal works great.

I use 100gr BH209, black crush rib sabot, w/ Bloodline 250gr, and W209 primer. Shoots very well and amazing terminal performance. Most of my .50 cals shoot well between 90-110gr powder. You'll find what yours likes, that's half the fun 👍

View attachment 13597
Just a quick question for all of you out there that have much more experience than me. I just picked up the rifle in the picture (less the scope) and I am wondering what works well in the Omega. I'm sure that there are a whole bunch of you who either shoot an Omega in 50 cal or did for years. I'm looking at XTP either .430 240gr or .452 250gr. Do I use harvester crush sabots or MMP. What do you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Congrats on gettin yourself a nice Omega. I had 2 of them myself. Switch the BP out & shoot BH 209 & check out Dead Center bullets & sabots. Try the Thor bullets. Lots & lots of deer have been taken with an Omega & 3-50gr Pyrodex pellets & powerbelt bullets. I love the Omega, got my 3rd one as a special project goin on. Good luck

Thanks guys. I've ended up with Hornady .430 240gr XTP because that was pretty much the only bullet I could lay my hands on. Not too much on the shelves these days so I am grateful for what I can get. The guys at Harvester pointed me in the direction of their Canadian distributor, turns out that they are 20 minutes away from my house so I have a couple of bags of Sabots coming this week too. I just need it to warm up a little so I can go kill some paper !!

Thanks for all of the help.

I’ve had excellent results with that combination over 110 gr/V BH 209 out of my Omega. Several deer taken 100-200 yds. The bullet in the photo was recovered from a deer shot at 190 yds.
8D2313A3-D2F1-4181-A3F2-0E94E79AA4C5.jpeg

So newbie question, but if your shots are 60 yards or less should the load amount of powder be less? Here in New England a 100 yard shot is very rare indeed. Plus, having been a traditional archer for many years long yardages are something not yet in my DNA! LOL

.50 caliber Barnes Spitfire
TEZ 250 grain bullets with
(3) Pyrodex pellets (50g.) each.

4” high at 100 yds .... deadly at 200 yards!

Bullet has 100% retention and the .451 diameter bullet doubles in size to .902

So newbie question, but if your shots are 60 yards or less should the load amount of powder be less? Here in New England a 100 yard shot is very rare indeed. Plus, having been a traditional archer for many years long yardages are something not yet in my DNA! LOL

There is nothing wrong with delivering more energy on target at the shorter distance for me unless it starts causing excessive meat damage. I can't say that I ever got much meat damage shooting my Omega. Load was 120 grains of 777 under a 300 grain SST in supplied sabot. Never had a deer run more than 40 yards when hit with that combo and never recovered a bullet.

I started at 90 grains and kept working up; groups were tight at 90-100 grains and then tight again at 120 grains. 125 grains started opening the group back up again. I would always do a wet cleaning patch and 2 dry ones between shots since my first shot was always on a squeaky clean barrel; 1/2" groups were the norm out of that gun at 100 yards.

Have killed deer with so many different bullets, and powder charges, using Omega rifles. Powder charges of 90 grain up to 115 grain all worked. Bullets such as XTP, Deep Curl, Nosler, and more, all worked.

This past season we filled the freezers using a load of 95 grain Blackhorn, ballistic bridge, Fury 50 caliber Star Tip Mz, W209 primer, from our Omega rifles.

Latest posts

Back