TC Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob162

Reaction score
I am thinking about picking up a used Omega. Were there any issues with these that I need to know about before I get it? Anything to look for? Thanks for the help.

Not once had any issues with mine..thonpson center made a huge mistake taking them out of production. Or should I say smith and Wesson made huge mistake taking them out of production when they took over Thompson center. I own 3 omegas and they all shoot very accurately and reliably with whatever I feed them

I agree found my Omega to be very reliable with all loads whether it be triple seven loose powder or pellets. I prefer power belt b ullets but have used others with no issues. I bought mine when Thompson first came out with them and still use it every season. I have added a Leupold scope over the years as these old eyes has a tough time with open sights, Good luck!!

Buckmaster, like you I have had to go to scoped weapons due to my aging eyes. I recently had to give up my open sight traditional muzzleloaders.

My Omega has kept meat in my freezer for over 20 years. It's all the muzzle loader I need and then some. I'd highly recommend one to anyone looking for a reliable design, easy to clean, and deadly accurate rifle.target new.JPG

Only thing better than an Omega would be a Bestill Omega.

May just try to work up the $ next year for a Bestill Creations conversion, but odds and ends usually end up in the way!

The Omega was one of the best MLs any company ever made. Aside from some QLA issues it had very few problems. Lots of guys just have it cutoff and recrowned if its a problem.

I am thinking about picking up a used Omega. Were there any issues with these that I need to know about before I get it?
Yes, there is. If you plan on shooting bullets in sabot, they are great to say the least. They are reliable, accurate, with a simple design that works, and works. If you desire to shoot Blackhorn powder, the Omega will, and well, very well actuallly.

However, don't plan on conical bullets being accurate out of the Omega. The QLA will throw the full bore bullets hither, thither, and yon.

However, it is an easy fix. Cut the dang thing off. Done it to three Omega, and it works good.

I agree found my Omega to be very reliable with all loads whether it be triple seven loose powder or pellets. I prefer power belt b ullets but have used others with no issues. I bought mine when Thompson first came out with them and still use it every season. I have added a Leupold scope over the years as these old eyes has a tough time with open sights, Good luck!!
I've had 2 Omega's .50. I had ZERO prob's or complaints w/either. I used 3-50gr Pyrodex pellets & 223gr AeroTip Powerbelts. I've only had the opportunity back then to shoot deer out to 250yards. Great simple " plug n play " set up I was really happy with for many yrs & dropped many deer & other critters with it in all kinds of bad weather too. If I were going to buy another " off the rack " .50 ML I'd buy another Omega without a doubt.

Latest posts

Back