TC Patriot Pistol and Maxi Ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicioli

Reaction score
Hi how about a 240 grain Maxi Ball over a 20 grain 3F Black Powder in this pistol ?
Dangerous ? Will I risk to crack the stock?
I don´t have yet a round ball mould.

Thanks, regards to all, Nicioli

Welcome from Oklahoma.
I have a vintage CVA Mountain Pistol, 50 caliber.
I shoot the 240 grain Hornady PA conicals with 45 grain charge of 3f Swiss black powder.
Your pistol should be fine with that load.
I don't know what the max powder charge recommended for that pistol is but I'm guessing something like 50 grains.

Thanks deermanok, I ask this because the pistol developed a small crack on the left side of the stock, and I don´t want to unduly stress to old gal much.
My premier concern is the weight of the ball .
I guess that between 20 and 30 grains of 3FF it will be OK.
Maybe next november my daughter who lives in France will bring me a 128 grain Lee round ball mold and then I´ll switch.
Regards, Nicioli

Thanks deermanok, I ask this because the pistol developed a small crack on the left side of the stock, and I don´t want to unduly stress to old gal much.
My premier concern is the weight of the ball .
I guess that between 20 and 30 grains of 3FF it will be OK.
Maybe next november my daughter who lives in France will bring me a 128 grain Lee round ball mold and then I´ll switch.
Regards, Nicioli
Cracked stocks usually aren't too difficult to repair.
Generally speaking, pistol stock damage is mostly caused by the way they're handled during the loading process, like pounding the projectile down the barrel while standing the gun upright on a hard surface like a table or loading stand.

Welcome aboard Nicioli!

I had a pistol just like yours and I shot 40 grains of T7 ffg under a patched round ball. I'll be I shot 1000 rounds out of that pistol. I tried some of the Ballet stuff that was available years ago and forget what the weights were but they shot like a darn so I'd assume the PA conicals will work too. Hornady makes round balls for your toy, I just saw several boxes of .490 balls today.

I played with both the FFg and FFFg T7 powders and found the FFFg much nicer to work with and was what got me my best accuracy out to around 35 yards.

Personally I's start with .490 round balls and either .010 or .015 thickness patching with about 30 grains of powder to learn the ins and out of your new to you gun. After you develop some confidence then step up to the PA conical or the Maxi. I never did well with sabots and .45 cal jacketed bullets, ie xtps, because the gun could not be loaded hot enough for things to come together. The lead bore size pills worked very well though.

Hi MrTom thanks for the comments. Next November my youngest daughter who lives in France hopefully will bring me a Lee double cavity .440 round ball mold. I assume this is correct for this pistol with a proper patch.
Anyway after many years I´ll shoot it again next week and report the results here.
Regards, Nicioli

Nicioli, I do not see where you indicate the caliber of the pistol. I think both deermanok and myself both think you have a .50 pistol. If you have a .45 cal, the .440 balls /mold you mention with work and the .490 balls I spoke of will not. The powders, powder charges and patches will stay pretty much the same.

Sorry, my bad , it´s a TC Patriot pistol in .45 caliber. As of now I only have the TC Maxi Ball mold and handle that came with the gun.
Thanks, regards, Nicioli

Hi thanks for all answers. Since till november I´m stuck with my 244 grain Maxi Ball mold and I intend to shoot the pistol this weekend I sawed one bullet near its base just to see the resultant weight.It went from 244 to 153 grain which I think will be more gentle to the pistol over a 25 FFF BP.
Maybe accuracy will suffer, but this will have to do, shooting will be at most 15 yards.
Regards, Nicioli

You should check out Idaho Lewis videos on YouTube.
In one video, he's shooting a pistol like you have. Not sure if 45 or 50 caliber, no matter but very interesting at any rate.

Update and advice : regarding the Lee .440 bullet mold my daughter wasn´t able to bring me the mold so I´ll have to stick with my TC 240 grain mold. The advice concerns the max FFF powder load that can be safely used in my .45 TC Patriot pistol.
Thanks, regards, Nicioli

Hope this helps.

The Patriot pistol was designed to use the .440", 127 grain pure lead round ball over a MAX of 35gr FFG. I'd stick with that.

Frosty

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back