TC Pro Hunter FX vs CVA Accura V2 - (Long rant ...sorry)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtK

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the long rant, but here is my story and I am sticking to it.
I have an Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt and I leave in 2 weeks.
Back in April I bought a new TC Pro Hunter FX, I always wanted a TC and according to the research I did the gun had mostly great reviews. So I pulled the trigger (bad pun sorry) :wink: Anyway, between work and the weather I did not get to start load development until a few months ago. I was impressed with the reviews for Blackhorn 209 and never really enjoyed the labor intensiveness of using powders like T7 etc. I also settled on Hornady FPB in 300 and 350 grain. So there was the setup. Right out of the box I had some perplexing issues. The gun would consistently shoot low and and there was not enough elevation adjustment with the included sights. :x It did not make a difference with the load bullet combinations. I am very conscientious of and consistent with my practices at the bench. The next step was to change the sights, front and rear, that was about $80. Still, that was not enough. So again, another sight setup and another $90. After 2 cans of BH209, charge weights from 80 - 115 grains, countless rounds, different primers and no satisfactory results I moved to Triple 7 and started over. Remember I leave in 2 weeks. So as of last Friday nothing I was doing was working. It really had me second guessing myself :cry: NOT GOOD! If there was a lake by my gun range I would have tossed the TC in it. Now that gun may be a tack driver with a scope, pellets sabots or what ever it was not performing as $600 + gun should. That left me with the decision to buy another new gun (normally that's a good thing :wink: ) but time is running out. With a limited budget, not much time I did not know what to do :? .
Well I decided yesterday to buy a CVA Accura V2. I wish I would have done that sooner. I spent about 4 hours at the range today developing loads. What a dream this gun has turned out to be. Right out of the box I was painting the target. I made no adjustments to the sight as I was looking at the groups. I settled on 350gr FPB over 100grn BH209 and CCI 209M primers. The groups are about 1.5" or so at 50 yards and my eyes and open sights.
I'll go back tomorrow and try to tighten things up then go to 100 yds. I feel like my psyche and trip have been brought back from the depths of hell.
As long as those elk have 6" orange stickers on them my freezer will be full. Now for my comparison review of the 2 guns.

The CVA is a dream to clean, there is nothing you can't get to. The barrel is removable and exposes the action for easy cleanup. The trigger is really nice, has no creep and breaks like glass. It is also adjustable, that alone is a great feature. The gun's fit and finish are spot on also and I really like the balance and how it mounts and feels. The weight is just enough to help with stout loads and heavy bullets. I am sure when I put a scope on this for use here in Michigan I could have 1 MOA groups. The breech plug (had to buy the BH version) is truly tool free. I paid $475 out the door and it did come with a Claw sling (not really a selling point as I have plenty of slings). Oh yeah, did I mention the gun shoots excellent?! :applause:

The TC is a pain to clean since the barrel does not come off. That makes the action almost impossible to clean. I think the gun is a little light and could use some more mass. The trigger is set at what feels like 8 lbs (did not measure) and has a really heavy pull. It has no creep, but still is way to heavy for my liking. I paid about $650, add another $200+ in aftermarket sights, powder and bullets. It is to hard to put a price on the disappointment, aggravation, depression (I could go on) that this gun has given me. Oh yeah, did I mention this gun could not hit the broadside of a barn? :wall:

After I get back from my trip, I will send the gun to TC to have it checked. After that I will sell it or trade it. I do not think I will ever buy another TC. Their reputation (supposed) for using the highest quality components and being made in the USA does not mean squat if it does not perform.

I would definitely recommend the CVA Acurra V2.

WOW that was a mouthful! I feel spent and I need a nap! :mrgreen:
Thanks for reading, I do really love this sight and it has been a great resource.

CVA Accuras are reliable and accurate. We use the Barnes 290 T-EZ bullets.

IMG_2771.jpg

ChocDog said:
The TC is a pain to clean since the barrel does not come off. That makes the action almost impossible to clean. I think the gun is a little light and could use some more mass. The trigger is set at what feels like 8 lbs (did not measure) and has a really heavy pull. It has no creep, but still is way to heavy for my liking. I paid about $650, add another $200+ in aftermarket sights, powder and bullets. It is to hard to put a price on the disappointment, aggravation, depression (I could go on) that this gun has given me. Oh yeah, did I mention this gun could not hit the broadside of a barn? :wall: ........

Coming north, bring it with you. I think we can get that shoot'n.
Good luck on your hunt.

ENCORE50A said:
ChocDog said:
The TC is a pain to clean since the barrel does not come off. That makes the action almost impossible to clean. I think the gun is a little light and could use some more mass. The trigger is set at what feels like 8 lbs (did not measure) and has a really heavy pull. It has no creep, but still is way to heavy for my liking. I paid about $650, add another $200+ in aftermarket sights, powder and bullets. It is to hard to put a price on the disappointment, aggravation, depression (I could go on) that this gun has given me. Oh yeah, did I mention this gun could not hit the broadside of a barn? :wall: ........

Coming north, bring it with you. I think we can get that shoot'n.
Good luck on your hunt.

If you have any suggestions, I'll take 'em!
Goin north is always a good thing.

Don't surprise me a bit. Glad you got a rifle that you have confidence in.

Good luck on the Wapiti in the Rockies. Love hunting out there!

I love my T/C. Can shoot MOA all day, if I let it. And with several different loads.
Glad you found one you love, though. All that matters.

Did you ever stop to consider the gun didn't like the hornady fpb bullets?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the elk hunt is over now. I hope OP was successful.

Curious if you ever got the TC Pro Hunter to shoot to your liking? If I was in your situation, I'd try a different brand of bullet. Some barrels are just finicky with what they like.

I've come full circle. The first inline I ever owned was an Accura V2. I just bought another one from Carlos yesterday.

I've never owned a CVA (9 of them) that didn't shoot good, had a great trigger, and was reliable.

Maybe, because it's Just a be.......ok, I won't say it.

So, how did the elk hunt go?

Tannhauser said:
I'm guessing the elk hunt is over now. I hope OP was successful.

Curious if you ever got the TC Pro Hunter to shoot to your liking? If I was in your situation, I'd try a different brand of bullet. Some barrels are just finicky with what they like.

Sorry for the delay. The trip was excellent and the CVA
Shot straight and true. I took a cow on day 2. We packed out about 180 lbs of deboned meet. Due to the heat and flies I couldn't get the next roast or briskets.
I had to make the choice to make sure not to lose the prime cuts. Shot her on the morning and the temps jumped to the high seventies and the shade was minimal. I was stalking a bugling bull with a decent size hers we saw opening day, I was about 100 yards from them. They were down in a saddle and I have not yet been able to get a visual. I was stalking and every so often I would cow call using my hoochie mama. On the last call there was some crashing coming towards me on my right, coming out of some dark timber and aspens. It was 2 cows 20 yards away broadside. I already had my gun shoulder waiting for whatever was coming. Pulled the trigger, she turned towards me, saw me and bobbed her head left and right. I guess she was trying to figure me out, like whitetail do. She never flinched and I thought I missed. I couldn't stuff another one down the pipe while she was looking at me, again she was 20 yards away. Then...she fell over in her tracks. The only steps she took was to turn from broadside to facing me. It took longer to type all this than it did for her to fall after pulling the trigger. I recovered the FPB, surprised it did not pass through. It expanded to about 1.5x and retained 68% of its weight. I used 77 grains by weight of BH209. I do love that CVA. It shoots great.

cmarfia said:
Did you ever stop to consider the gun didn't like the hornady fpb bullets?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

According to TC, they recommended the FPB vs the mini ball or maxi hunter. They also stated they did not recommend using the min or maxi in the pro hunter.

my uncle has a pro hunter, he loves it. Says its shoots great.

I only shot his gun once, hit the can at 70 yds but the trigger wasnt very good IMO. Very heavy compared to the optima and accura

Minus the trigger I like the feel of the gun

sawtoothscream said:
my uncle has a pro hunter, he loves it. Says its shoots great.

I only shot his gun once, hit the can at 70 yds but the trigger wasnt very good IMO. Very heavy compared to the optima and accura

Minus the trigger I like the feel of the gun

Triggers are the easiest to fix...........

Muley Hunter said:
Not having to fix them is the easiest.

You're correct Muley. But neither is having to shim, "O" ring, replace, re-tool, or purchase separate the easiest.
However, at least it can be done easily and with the owners preference, for $10.

Muley Hunter said:
The Pro Hunter has no blow back with all primers? How is that done?

Well I guess I've just had a lot of well built Encore platform rifles there Muley. Never had an Encore or Pro Hunter that any primer had an issue or stuck. Even with shooting as many rounds each year as I've done in the past, along with having to replace breech plugs from doing so.

A heavy trigger pull to the owner, is an easy and very affordable fix to the owner's liking, rather it be 5# or 2#.

Back