TC renegade grind to fit recoil and install

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hated the butt plate on the renegades (it’s steel). Does nothing in the way of reducing felt recoil. And is very cold in winter. So I ordered a limb saver grind to fit recoil pad and installed it.

first I had to fill the existing buttplate screw holes as they didn’t line up with the new recoil pad. I glued some bamboo skewers into the hole with some expanding gorilla glue. The I let it dry and cure overnight. Then icut off some of the buttstock because it slopes upward.
E2E0074A-9AA1-4591-9994-9921A21209D1.jpeg
EF895CE8-8566-4D26-9AB4-EED159A93CFC.jpeg
The drilled the new holes using the recoil pad as a template. Then installed the recoil pad and edged it with painters tape to protect the finish during sanding.

461E3B87-08D6-40A2-A2C5-D43FE0928954.jpeg
Now for the grinding. I have a worksharp ken onion knife sharpener with the blade grinding attachment. I used the coarsest belt I had and started grinding away: it took about an hour of careful grinding but eventually I got it down close enough. I then used a file to smooth up some of the transitions and took the tape off.
image.jpg
I could sand down even further to make it flush with the stock but I don’t ever plan on selling this gun and I don’t really care that the finished job isn’t perfect. I’m a function over form kind of guy and don’t care much for the ascetics of it so long as it works. I am happy with it and that is all that matters. Just thought I’d post and show you guys. (And for anyone who notices the orange box my vise is attached to in the first couple pictures. It’s a giant archery target I made…still trying to get it filled with plastic pallet wrap. It’s about halfway there)

If you have the original buttplate, I would be wiiling to buy it at a reasonable price. I need one for a build.

That looks great to me, bstorric :thumb:. I found a CVA rubber butt pad that fit my Rene' good enough to suit me too. I didnt trim back that angle. I may take a look at doing that.

Back