TC Renegade/Hawken Set Trigger Adjust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These Set triggers in the Hawken And Renegade are amazing for how simple they are, These ultra Light Set Triggers are the reason i shoot the Hawken And Renegade so well.

For those that don’t know, The Set trigger does not have to be used in these rifles, You can cock the rifle and simply pull the Front trigger to fire it if you choose, The pull will be HEAVY and in my opinion not worth a Hoot, But for those that prefer a heavy trigger you can most definitely shoot them without setting the Front/Main trigger. Personally, i would not own a Single Trigger Renegade, I prefer the Set Trigger

The Set trigger should ONLY be set when you are on your target and ready to fire the Rifle

Good information there Lewis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOW! Thanks for your videos Lew!!! Like I said before a picture/video is worth a thousand words, plus it clearly shows how to do things completely and Correctly for even for the Guys just getting started in ML and for those who are willing to learn new and better ways of cleaning and properly maintaining their ML’s.

Keep them videos coming!

for hunting I actually prefer just the regular trigger on my Renegade or Cabelas Sporterized Hawkens, if you have gloves on its to easy to bump trigger trying to get finger in guard.. my Renegade has about a 3.54-4# pull w/regular trigger which isn't bad for hunting.
For paper punching much prefer the set triggers though.

dbowling said:
for hunting I actually prefer just the regular trigger on my Renegade or Cabelas Sporterized Hawkens, if you have gloves on its to easy to bump trigger trying to get finger in guard.. my Renegade has about a 3.54-4# pull w/regular trigger which isn't bad for hunting.
For paper punching much prefer the set triggers though.

Thank you for the kind words guy’s, These Darn Videos are kind of Nuisance, and take forever to Upload.

Dean, I agree with you, When these Set Triggers are “Set” The trigger pull is light, REALLY light! A guy could easily touch a shot off before he was ready. In a Quick, Close shot situation I highly doubt i would Set my trigger. But on a Whitetail Stand type hunt, and say the Shot being out there at 100, to 200 yards i would DEFINITELY Set my trigger. It really boils down to what a Guy is use to/Comfortable with. 99.9% of my shooting is Bench/Target, i would be LOST without my Set triggers. I run all of my Triggers SUPER light, For me It is 1 of the Major Key’s to Accuracy. I am so spoiled with light triggers that it is REALLY hard for me to pick up a Stock Rifle with a Factory Trigger/Pull of Say 4-5 pounds and shoot it worth a Hoot. The Trigger is the very first thing i work on with ANY new to me rifle.

Lewis, I wonder if the pedersolli rifle triggers set that way I'm not sure?

Sitting a tree stand this afternoon (nothing moving) and was looking at some older posts. Got to this one.

There is a lot of crap and misinformation about muzzleloaders on the internet, that we can all agree on. I expect to see it and usually not surprised with what I find, but I do not expect to find pure BS on muzzleloader care and adjustment on this forum, pinned none the less, not buried in some obscure random post. This video should be titled ‘HOW TO BREAK YOUR SEAR’.

Do what’s suggested in this video and you will eventually break the half cock nose off of your sear.

You can check double set trigger pull function with the hammer down, hammer at full cock, with the lock off the gun or with the trigger out of the gun, but NOT at half cock as recommended in this video. In the half cock position the only thing keeping the hammer from striking the percussion cap on the nipple (or flint on the frizzen) is the nose on that sear, a hardened, somewhat brittle, piece of steel that is locked up solid as you hammer away at it testing trigger pull...

Here is a snippet fron the instructions you get from TOW on how to install RE Davis and other double set triggers. The link is below or you can find it in the TOW catalog.
upload_2019-10-25_17-59-58.jpeg
In the year this thread/video has been up, I wonder how many have followed the instructions and broken, chipped or weakened the half cock on their double set trigger sidelock guns, the primary ‘safety’ many use?
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/catalog/page_352.pdf

Copied and Pasted from TC Hawken/Renegade Owners Manual

HAWKENTM TRIGGERMECHANISMCONT’D ADJUSTMENT OF THE SET TRIGGER
• The adjustment screw located in front of the rear trigger con- trols the amount of set trigger engagement. This adjustment screw has no affect on single stage trigger pull! Single stage trig- ger pull is non-adjustable (Figure 38).
• The set triggers on T/C rifles are adjusted to our production standard before shipment. Triggers are adjusted to what we feel is an optimum let-off travel.
• In order to check the adjustment for let-off travel, the following procedure should be used: With the rifle uncharged and unprimed, PLACE THE HAMMER IN HALF-COCK POSITION. SET THE REAR TRIGGER. WITH THE TRIGGER “SET”, carefully turn the adjustment screw clockwise until the trigger mechanism “snaps” into “unset” posi- tion. Stop turning the instant the mechanism “snaps”. Do not turn the adjustment screw beyond this point for it marks the instant of total set trigger disengagement. Once the mechanism “snaps”, turn the adjustment screw counter clockwise one full turn.

Sitting a tree stand this afternoon (nothing moving) and was looking at some older posts. Got to this one.

There is a lot of crap and misinformation about muzzleloaders on the internet, that we can all agree on. I expect to see it and usually not surprised with what I find, but I do not expect to find pure BS on muzzleloader care and adjustment on this forum, pinned none the less, not buried in some obscure random post. This video should be titled ‘HOW TO BREAK YOUR SEAR’.

Do what’s suggested in this video and you will eventually break the half cock nose off of your sear.

You can check double set trigger pull function with the hammer down, hammer at full cock, with the lock off the gun or with the trigger out of the gun, but NOT at half cock as recommended in this video. In the half cock position the only thing keeping the hammer from striking the percussion cap on the nipple (or flint on the frizzen) is the nose on that sear, a hardened, somewhat brittle, piece of steel that is locked up solid as you hammer away at it testing trigger pull...

Here is a snippet fron the instructions you get from TOW on how to install RE Davis and other double set triggers. The link is below or you can find it in the TOW catalog.
View attachment 5838
In the year this thread/video has been up, I wonder how many have followed the instructions and broken, chipped or weakened the half cock on their double set trigger sidelock guns, the primary ‘safety’ many use?
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/pdfs/catalog/page_352.pdf

Mr boomer, i suggest you go to Thompson Center and Explain this Davis Trigger stuff to them, Let them know how STUPID they are :lewis: See where that gets ya? DON’T COME AT ME WITH IT!! I have Always went by TC’s Recommendation from Their Manual, I have set a TON of THEIR Set Triggers by THEIR Recommendation, I have YET to have a Problem.

Mr boomer, i suggest you go to Thompson Center and Explain this Davis Trigger stuff to them, Let them know how STUPID they are :lewis: See where that gets ya? DON’T COME AT ME WITH IT!! I have Always went by TC’s Recommendation from Their Manual, I have set a TON of THEIR Set Triggers by THEIR Recommendation, I have YET to have a Problem.
Ok, I hit a nerve. Sorry. Not sure how many a ton of TCs would be, plus surprised you have obviously never set an RE Davis trigger. Seems odd. Most of my TCs have Davis triggers. Oh well.

Personally have only seen or handled four TC locks that had broken half cock positions on their tumblers. One of the owners stated theirs broke while dry firing in the half cock position, another admitted to quite a bit of dry firing in the half cock position. No real intel on the other two.

I am basing my ‘opinion’ on having completed a tool and die apprenticeship, having worked as a tool and die maker, completing a mechanical engineering degree, and working as a mechanical engineer. The issue is the practice in the video (and TC instructions) sets up a condition where in the half cock position, any blow to the sear puts a tremendous amount of force on the tumbler’s half cock position. If you wanted to cleave off a piece off hardened steel, this is a perfect setup. Learned that hands on early in my apprenticeship. Almost all the tumbler failures I have heard of involved the half cock position. Coincidence? Really not a stressful condition unless hammer/cock is hit or the gun is dry fired in the half cock position. Why doesn’t firing position on tumbler break? Maybe because the design and hardened steel is meant to protect against wear, but not impact? Impact that occurs when dry firing in half cock position. Coincidence again?

As far as contacting TC and explaining Davis trigger stuff, I think I will. And not just Davis stuff. Have been told and taught this from the 70s when working with gunsmiths. They referred to the firing mechanisms of guns having parts designed and built for a pocket watch, but being asked to do the job of a punch press. And you and TC want to hit it with a big hammer?? Good to know that you would never use a Davis Deerslayer Trigger on a TC due to incomparability with TC and their instructions. The same company that brought us the concept of bore seasoning, Bore Butter, QLA and Maxihunters. All TC concepts you use and endorse because they printed it? NOT. I don’t think so. You are not that naive or silly. Just because TC or any other company says it doesn’t make it true.

We will see what TC has to say, but with sidelocks being out of production there for maybe 10 years or more, lucky to hear back from an intern.

For what it is worth, the TC instructions, in my professional opinion are wrong. For numerous reasons. Try to find and purchase a TC Hawken or Renegade tumbler today. Difficult to find for some reason.....

Ok, I hit a nerve. Sorry. Not sure how many a ton of TCs would be, plus surprised you have obviously never set an RE Davis trigger. Seems odd. Most of my TCs have Davis triggers. Oh well.

The problem i have is you coming on MY Thread and BOLDLY Claiming that i have Steered people Wrong, When in Fact the Video i did is Following TC’s instructions on how to set THEIR Triggers in THEIR Rifles. They Built the Rifles, i trust that they know how to properly Set their Triggers. Until they say different, i will continue to follow THEIR Directions, for setting THEIR Triggers. The information you posted above is NOT new to me, i read it on another Forum a few years or more ago, And I have Set triggers that way (Hammer all way Down) In the Video i made, i Chose to Follow TC’s Recommendation on Setting Their Triggers. Read the Title of the Video

Who says that I haven’t Set an RE Davis Trigger? If i own them, i have likely set them right?

You say “Most of YOUR TC Rifles have Davis triggers” Good for you boomer :lewis: I have ZERO issues with TC’s Stock Triggers, They work FLAWLESS for me, I am currently shooting them to 600 Yards

As for your “Tool and Die apprenticeship, Completing a Mechanical engineering degree, and working as a Mechanical engineer” Again boomer, Good for you! I can’t, and won’t speak for others, But I’m Proud of ya :lewis: Maybe you, and your “Professional Opinion” can Straighten TC Out on how to Set THEIR OWN Triggers in THEIR Rifles? Good luck with that :lewis:

I don’t have a problem with TC Maxi Hunters, They Have shot just fine for me in .45, .50, and .54 Cal, This was made over the Hood of my Truck (Less than ideal conditions) ZERO Load development here, Stil shot a 1” Group. The .50 and .54 Cal Maxi Hunters shot just as well

Last edited:
The problem i have is you coming on MY Thread and BOLDLY Claiming that i have Steered people Wrong, When in Fact the Video i did is Following TC’s instructions on how to set THEIR Triggers in THEIR Rifles. They Built the Rifles, i trust that they know how to properly Set their Triggers. Until they say different, i will continue to follow THEIR Directions, for setting THEIR Triggers. The information you posted above is NOT new to me, i read it on another Forum a few years or more ago, And I have Set triggers that way (Hammer all way Down) In the Video i made, i Chose to Follow TC’s Recommendation on Setting Their Triggers. Read the Title of the Video

Who says that I haven’t Set an RE Davis Trigger? If i own them, i have likely set them right?

You say “Most of YOUR TC Rifles have Davis triggers” Good for you boomer :lewis: I have ZERO issues with TC’s Stock Triggers, They work FLAWLESS for me, I am currently shooting them to 600 Yards

As for your “Tool and Die apprenticeship, Completing a Mechanical engineering degree, and working as a Mechanical engineer” Again boomer, Good for you! I can’t, and won’t speak for others, But I’m Proud of ya :lewis: Maybe you, and your “Professional Opinion” can Straighten TC Out on how to Set THEIR OWN Triggers in THEIR Rifles? Good luck with that :lewis:

I don’t have a problem with TC Maxi Hunters, They Have shot just fine for me in .45, .50, and .54 Cal, This was made over the Hood of my Truck (Less than ideal conditions) ZERO Load development here, Stil shot a 1” Group. The .50 and .54 Cal Maxi Hunters shot just as well

Actually expected a better argument/discussion on dry firing with sear in the tumbler half cock notch from you than “They Built the Rifles, i trust that they know how to properly Set their Triggers. Until they say different, i will continue to follow THEIR Directions, for setting THEIR Triggers”. Thought I might learn something substantive here. Disappointed, but that is what it is.

Will wait and see what, if anything, TC has to say.

Your other points would take a turn towards personal if I responded to them, particularly since you stated this is your ‘thread’, and apparently any comment or opinion not agreeing with you is perceived as an attack, so no comment on the other points.

Keep up the good work.

Will wait and see what, if anything, TC has to say.

Your other points would take a turn towards personal if I responded to them, particularly since you stated this is your ‘thread’, and apparently any comment or opinion not agreeing with you is perceived as an attack, so no comment on the other points

Keep up the good work.

I’m not gonna argue with you anymore bummer, YOUR Problem is with Thompson Center, TAKE YOUR BEEF THERE!!

Page 42 and 43
https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/manuals/Hawken_Manual.pdf

If you want to talk about how TOW says to adjust a Davis trigger please start your own thread. Anymore confrontational posts may end up being deleted. You can certainly disagree without having to start off with "CRAP or PURE BS" in your first reply.

Latest posts

Back