TC Renegade/Hawken Set Trigger Adjust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way i show it in the Video is EXACTLY How Thompson Center Recommends adjusting their Set Triggers
... But is it really, Lewis?šŸ§? I mean, do you really know the chance you're takin'? I once heard a story from a guy who was told by his wife's second cousin that a dude in the Czech republic was watching your video while trying to adjust his set trigger - he didn't speak English - and he ended up killing an old lady...

Aw, nevermind. I was trying to start another argument on this thread 'cuz troll comments is funny. But I just stopped giving a damn.

Besides, Lew, I just love you too damn much to pick at you, brother!!

LONG GONE, Showing you a Big, Fanned Out Whitetail :)
We call that fanned out white tail - pointed straight up in the air as they run from you - the "Exclamation Point" where the tail is top of the punctuation, and the point's dot is their buttho... well, you get the picture

... But is it really, Lewis?šŸ§? I mean, do you really know the chance you're takin'? I once heard a story from a guy who was told by his wife's second cousin that a dude in the Czech republic was watching your video while trying to adjust his set trigger - he didn't speak English - and he ended up killing an old lady...

Aw, nevermind. I was trying to start another argument on this thread 'cuz troll comments is funny. But I just stopped giving a damn.

Wow that got dark real quick lol

Just saw this post.
Iā€™m taking the word of a man that has more trigger time in a year than most people get in a lifetime, over an apprentice machinist/engineer.
A degree, sometimes means little more than, you are good in school and at taking tests.
I personally havenā€™t seen anything in Lewisā€™ instructional videos that have made me think, oh, thatā€™s not a good idea.
It seems to me that they are straightforward and to the point to just show somebody how to do something, that they may be intimidated by, and otherwise not attempt.
Good work Lewis! Keep it up.

I heard about that guy. But i heard he was in Poland and accidentally shot an old ladys cat. My 3rd cousins wifes brother knows him...

I did the single trigger mod, that IdahoLewis shows in a vid, on a single trigger White Mntn Carbine. Then i put that lock in my current double trigger Renegade with a Davis Deerslayer trigger. It shoots as easy unset as it does set. If you have not done his mod to your TCs yet, you should, imho.

Last edited:

4B289B8A-53F0-4E12-96C4-A5989D01898E.gif

Just saw this post.
Iā€™m taking the word of a man that has more trigger time in a year than most people get in a lifetime, over an apprentice machinist/engineer.
A degree, sometimes means little more than, you are good in school and at taking tests.
I personally havenā€™t seen anything in Lewisā€™ instructional videos that have made me think, oh, thatā€™s not a good idea.
It seems to me that they are straightforward and to the point to just show somebody how to do something, that they may be intimidated by, and otherwise not attempt.
Good work Lewis! Keep it up.

Thank you for the Kind Words Stacey, There are a few of you guyā€™s on here that I consider Genuine Friends, You have always been one of them.

Fact is, On this whole Set Trigger adjustment Deal (Video), I simply followed Thompson Centers Recommendation for adjusting the Set Triggers in THEIR Rifles. After all, they Built them, I trust that they know how to Adjust their own Triggers. I have had ZERO problems following their steps.

As Iā€™ve said in previous posts, You can adjust the Set Trigger with the Hammer all the way Forward like ā€œDavisā€œ Recommends. If you are really concerned about damaging the Sear, you can literally Remove the Entire Lock and Adjust the Set Trigger as Idahoron Mentions above.

Uh, Just so we're all clear - I was being kind of a smart a$$ (surprise, surprise) in my previous post. I trust Lewis' advice (and Stacy's, as well) on many subjects.

As a matter of fact, Lewis and I were sitting next to each other on my couch, eating pizza and laughing about what we were gonna write for a fake cat-fight... So there.

Okay, I made that last part up.

meh-gif.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Think I'll go back where I came from.

If anything in here could possibly have offended you?? All i can say is

TkwXouD.jpg

Uh, Just so we're all clear - I was being kind of a smart a$$ (surprise, surprise) in my previous post. I trust Lewis' advice (and Stacy's, as well) on many subjects.

As a matter of fact, Lewis and I were sitting next to each other on my couch, eating pizza and laughing about what we were gonna write for a fake cat-fight... So there.

Okay, I made that last part up.

View attachment 13594
This emotional roller coaster has me ready to grab a beer. Haha

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Think I'll go back where I came from.
Really? You expressed your opinion. So did Lewis, both done in a respectful manner. Donā€™t give up so easily, this forum is a great source of information and ideas. The guys are all really good folks... mostly... (pm me for the exception...)

They are TREASURES :lewis: These Set triggers are FLAT OUT AWESOME! And 1 of the reasons i am able to Shoot these Old TCā€™s so well.

I have 300 Dollar Bixā€™N Andy Ball bearing Triggers in both of my Rem 700 Rifles, Believe it or not, These Stock TC SET Triggers are EVERY bit as good, Thatā€™s no joke
I know this thread is a year old but had something of interest... I have bix & andy triggers on one centerfire benchrest, & one rimfire benchrest rifle, & jewel's on several more rifles.. But the trigger i like best is a "canjar set trigger"! My dad bought this trigger in the 70's & had it on a rem 700 22-250.. (him and his shooting buddy both bought one of these) I took i off the 22-250 & put it on a 222 bench rest rifle i built on a blueprinted rem 700 action..... it works a bit different though,, The trigger shoe is pushed forward and a small "button" then protrudes from the middle of the trigger. (it's pull weight is down real low as in 2oz or less)... The one pap and his pal had are the only 2 i have seen... They must have quit making them many years ago,, but its a set trigger & i like as good as any modern "benchrest" trigger... one thing though,, i remember they would aim the rifle set in bags & set the trigger,, (with the rifle aimed appropriately) & if it was a cold day, you could walk away from the rifle & after a while it would fire on its own!.. It was a trick they did when they were bored i guess,(i miss dad & his shooting buddy Ed), I've never had patience enough to wait and see if it still does that,, its truly shooting "free recoil"! ;>) And you are correct,,, these ML set triggers are excellent, though not hardly as light as the canjar, or benchrest model triggers i have. ... (i'll try to attach a photo in cocked mode)
canjar set.JPG

Latest posts

Back