TC Renegade/Hawken Set Trigger Adjust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the kind words guy’s, These Darn Videos are kind of Nuisance, and take forever to Upload.

It really boils down to what a Guy is use to/Comfortable with. 99.9% of my shooting is Bench/Target, i would be LOST without my Set triggers. I run all of my Triggers SUPER light, For me It is 1 of the Major Key’s to Accuracy.
That’s a great ratio! 1000 shots on targets for every one fired in anger.
I have a couple of the tc New Englander rifles and the triggers can be massaged into a functional hunting trigger but they didn’t usually come that way out of the box!

That’s a great ratio! 1000 shots on targets for every one fired in anger.
I have a couple of the tc New Englander rifles and the triggers can be massaged into a functional hunting trigger but they didn’t usually come that way out of the box!

I actually have a Tutorial here on doing a Trigger Job on Single Trigger TC’s, The Test subject was my TC New Englander :D That thing had a Down right HORRIBLE trigger in it! But was AWESOME after i did Surgery on it :lewis:

I haven’t messed with many guns with set triggers, and I didn’t realize how much I like them until getting that TC Cougar last week. :lewis:

They are TREASURES :lewis: These Set triggers are FLAT OUT AWESOME! And 1 of the reasons i am able to Shoot these Old TC’s so well.

I have 300 Dollar Bix’N Andy Ball bearing Triggers in both of my Rem 700 Rifles, Believe it or not, These Stock TC SET Triggers are EVERY bit as good, That’s no joke

I'm always late to the party. :)
I adjust my triggers exactly the same way, Been doing it for years. Lew's video is by the book straight form TC.
If a guy is worried about the lock being damaged take the lock out. It will still adjust with the lock out and it can be tested with the lock out.

Dont use the set trigger when hunting
Why would you say that? Using the set trigger and will almost always result in a more accurate shot. The only reason I could see for not using the set trigger would be in a dangerous situation like a charge where you wouldn't have time. But in my 55+ years I've never had such a situation.

Why would you say that? Using the set trigger and will almost always result in a more accurate shot. The only reason I could see for not using the set trigger would be in a dangerous situation like a charge where you wouldn't have time. But in my 55+ years I've never had such a situation.

I ABSOLUTELY agree Bronko :lewis: That fella is LONG GONE from this Forum :)

If you cast your own bullets go to accurate Molds website and look at the 50-415I mold. That along with 70gr of Swiss 2F will handle anything that you would want to hunt. That mold was designed by a member here “IdahoLewis “ and that’s is if favorite load as well. I’m sure Lew will chime in on this as well.

I had one situation that would make me consider not using the set trigger in a hunting scenario just a couple years ago.
I was sitting on a very calm evening hoping to have a nice buck wander by. About 30 minutes later I hear some crunching and slowly turn my head. A young buck walked out of the trees about 35 yards from me and started feeding. Watching closely for openings that I could move, I slowly got the gun to my shoulder. I knew pulling the hammer back was going to be really loud on such a calm evening, so I held the front trigger so it wouldn't click at half and full notches. Managed to do that fine. The deer ended up being about 55 yards away before it finally gave me a good broad side angle. I pulled the set trigger and at 54 yards that deer jerked its head up and went on full alert to that tiny click. It didn't take off though and I was able to shoot it.
It was a younger 4 point (8 point to you easterners), I have to wonder what a nice mature buck or older mature doe might've done in that situation.
I believe I'll skip the set trigger if I ever find myself in a similar situation again.

The set trigger "click" can be muffled by using two fingers. Your trigger finger just touching the front trigger, set the rear trigger with middle finger while letting the front trigger move slowly forward. Practice a few times till this feels easy.
The half to full cock click can be muffled with the front (Unset or single) trigger using this same trigger feel technique.

PS- Do not snap the set trigger with a side lock set at half cock, it slams the set rear trigger against the trapped sear/halfcock notch. This can chip the lip on the half cock notch.

Last edited:
The set trigger "click" can be muffled by using two fingers. Your trigger finger just touching the front trigger, set the rear trigger with middle finger while letting the front trigger move slowly forward. Practice a few times till this feels easy.
The half to full cock click can be muffled with the front (Unset or single) trigger using this same trigger feel technique.

PS- Do not snap the set trigger with a side lock set at half cock, it slams the set rear trigger against the trapped sear/halfcock notch. This can chip the lip on the half cock notch.

If you go back and read from the start of this thread you will see where an Argument ensued over adjusting the ”Set Trigger” The way i show it in the Video is EXACTLY How Thompson Center Recommends adjusting their Set Triggers, Which is in Half Cock. I have adjusted more of these Triggers than I could ever begin to Remember, and i have NEVER Had an issue. I have adjusted them Both Ways, In Halfcock, and With the Hammer All the way forward.

As Idahoron Mentioned above in Post #26, you can also adjust the Set Trigger with the Lock out of the Rifle

The way you describe Muffling the “Click” of the Set trigger by 2 Fingers, Trigger finger just touching the Front Trigger would make me REALLY nervous, I personally would NOT do that. After adjusted, My Set trigger Pull Weights Range from 6 Ounces to about 12 Ounces MAX. There is NO WAY I would trust touching the Front Trigger to ”Muffle” the Set Trigger Click

Last edited:
I had one situation that would make me consider not using the set trigger in a hunting scenario just a couple years ago.
I was sitting on a very calm evening hoping to have a nice buck wander by. About 30 minutes later I hear some crunching and slowly turn my head. A young buck walked out of the trees about 35 yards from me and started feeding. Watching closely for openings that I could move, I slowly got the gun to my shoulder. I knew pulling the hammer back was going to be really loud on such a calm evening, so I held the front trigger so it wouldn't click at half and full notches. Managed to do that fine. The deer ended up being about 55 yards away before it finally gave me a good broad side angle. I pulled the set trigger and at 54 yards that deer jerked its head up and went on full alert to that tiny click. It didn't take off though and I was able to shoot it.
It was a younger 4 point (8 point to you easterners), I have to wonder what a nice mature buck or older mature doe might've done in that situation.
I believe I'll skip the set trigger if I ever find myself in a similar situation again.

I can most definitely see this Happening, Especially so with Whitetail Deer, They are on a Different Level of HIGH Alert, I have hunted Blacktail & Mule Deer most of my Life, Til i moved here to Idaho 10-11 Years ago, There is NO COMPARISON in Wit. These Whitetails are a VERY HIGH Strung “Cagey” Deer. One little tiny mistake and they usually LONG GONE, Showing you a Big, Fanned Out Whitetail :)

Latest posts

Back