TC Renegade with 1/48 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do the deer act when shot with your 54??? Does it pole ax em or do they run off & have to be tracked? (double lung shots)
Three deer shot with .530 rib . Broadsides on all three, complete pass thru on these lung shots.
Great Plains are much heavier, but usually pass thru unless I hit the spine. Here is last deer shot and bullet, hit spine above shoulder and dropped her on the spot.DD9DD53D-4839-4A2B-A4EC-E1D880845410.jpegimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
Three deer shot with .530 rib . Broadsides on all three, complete pass thru on these lung shots.
Great Plains are much heavier, but usually pass thru unless I hit the spine. Here is last deer shot and bullet, hit spine above shoulder and dropped her on the spot.View attachment 15809View attachment 15807
I have some of those (530 out of a 1-60 twist ) and 83 yds later what it weighted after busting up leg/shoulder on quartering in and thru lungs to under the hide behind off shoulderIMG_0852[1].JPG

1:48 is a nice twist, and works great for normal hunting situations and close/mid-range targets (RB for plinking and close in deer, bullet for longer distance and big stuff)! I think you'll find the sidelocks with bullets don't give up a whole lot compared to modern non-smokeless inlines, I just think they're more fun (plus you get to see the look on the TC and Traditions inline guys faces when you show up with an "old gun", and hang right there with them lol). Wish I had more shops like the ones near you... then again, I might be broke aaaannnddd single if I did :roll:

I had that problem with 2 i shot with an air rifle (45 cal) i hit it perfect & it ran clear out of sight. ( same thing with next one) no blood trail at all, & these are the only deer i've ever lost, , found em couple days later because of vultures, & coyotes.. The only thing i could imagine was that with just one hole, they are apt to not bleed much & takes long time for respiratory collapse. .. I changed to a heavier fatter hard cast 300 grain meister. instead of the saboted 180grain soft lead bullet i was using.. Next deer dropped in his tracks... 2 holes cause lung collapse & air to suck in and blow out wound hole & they spray blood... Since then i started using the high shoulder shot which drops em every time (but have meat loss).. I need a "pole axer" cause we really like venison here.. I hope the "no excuses" i'm using will provide such..
On deer, you should get pass through using the NE 460’s. Usually not on elk.

@snapbang i think I’m gonna recut one of those hollow point moulds I did earlier last year. In looking at the pictures I sent you of the bullets, it appears the hollow point is slightly off center. I think that may be why we didn’t get stellar results with them.

I drilled all the way through the blocks for the hollow point before I bored the bullet cavity and I think the drill bit wandered slightly off center.

This time I’m gonna try boring the bullet, then drilling for the pin.

I gotta find a little free time to get it done, so don’t hold your breath😂

When I get it done, I’ll cast up some and send them your way.

They should do well pushed fairly hard from a 48 twist.

These 1:48" twist Thompson/Center rifles will stabilize bullets measuring AT LEAST 0.840" long, because that's how long all of Idaholewis's "I" designated bullets from Accurate Molds are. This would include the following mold numbers.....

#45-340I
#50-415I
#54-540I

In addition, members Kingwalter & BadKarma added the following molds to the I catalog.....

Kingwalter
#52-530I
BadKarma
#40-265I

I don't remember many posts on the #40-265I bullet, so BadKarma would have to jump in here to give his experience. All of the others shoot with from well to stunningly great accuracy out of 1:48" twist Thompson Center barrels, especially if the barrel has had its bore polished.
I requested Accurate molds to make the 40-265I to shoot in the Seneca I purchased from Lewis. Lewis had a 36 caliber with a bad bore and had it rebored to a 40 caliber with a 1-37 twist. I have no idea what it will do in a 1-48 twist but I know it will shoot fist sized groups with a peep sight in my 1-37 twist backed by 40grn of Swiss 2F.

Back