TC Renegade with 1/48 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im struggling with staying away and not going back. Ill probably wait a couple of weeks and go check it out.

There were a few flintlocks on the rack to the right. I was having a difficult time taking my eyes off of these.

If there are a few flinters there next time I will get pics.
You have to be strong! Muzzleloaders are a terrible illness. Take deep breaths.

In my first .54 Renegade I shot nothing but 435 grain Buffalo bullets. Hollow base, hollow point. 100 grains of black powder. Lots of deer fell to that gun. Before the Renegade came along I built a .45 CVA Hawken from a kit and shot nothing but patched round balls in it. That gun got a couple nice deer too. Both were 1:48. My second Renegade saw some sabots with swaged lead bullets and it shot lights out at 100 yards. The 1:48 barrels are pretty versatile.

Specific projectiles would be appreciated.
[/QUOTE]
My 1-48 twist Renegades shoot great with 460 gr Bullshops and 460 gr No Excuses bullets. Usually around 80 gr of 2F Swiss powder and lubed wool wad. Also great good results Hornady 385 gr Great Plains Bullets.

I did read "lewis" thread about the 1/48. Consistent with what you all say here. At 65 years old if I could make a good run for the next 10 years maybe kill 20 deer or so with it. It would make a great gun. I still have a Knight Bighorn with the tags on it. Hasnt been shot and owned it for a year and a half. I think I need to stick to my original thought and wait a couple weeks before I go back, If its meant to be one of them will still be there. Im opting for one with a double set trigger.

Maybe I should sell the Knight and my Wolf which will likely not get shot again.

I was in a muzzle loader store last week Saturday. He had several TC .50 Renegades in excellent shape for $225.00. ( I mean excellent) 1/48 twist. Two with set triggers. I love shooting RBs Out of my 1/66 but a 1/48 would shoot a heavier projectile and give me a little more killing range. Especially with a skinner sight. Im sure this has been covered before but what is the ideal weight to shoot from a 1/48??? Specific projectiles would be appreciated.
factory bullet was a 275 grain Maxi Hunter, a little over 5/8 long, close to as big as it will stabalize.

My .54 Renegade shoots a Hornady Great Plains Bullet in 425 grains with 100 grains of 2f really well. I can get 1.5" groups at a 100 yards with them if I do my part. They are a hollow base bullet and I don't use a wad with them, just run them down right on top of the powder.
Unfortunately Hornady no longer makes these bullets except for in .50 cal. I would certainly try them in a .50 that has a 1:48 twist.
From what I've read, a 1:48 twist TC is much more picky about the bullet length than the weight. If the bullet length gets much over an inch you start having accuracy issues, in general anyway.
I've never tried a Maxi ball in mine, but Idaholewis has a video where he found that his factory barrel shot them very well if he only used lube in the narrower bottom grease groove and left that giant upper grease groove empty. The upper one holds too much lube for it to shed all of it before exiting the bore, so you wind up with lube still in some of the groove while it's trying to fly through the air. Imagine how a lop sided spinning projectile flies. I believe in Idaholewis's video the group shrank at least by half, if not more, when he left the upper groove empty. It should be noted that he used a lubed 1/8" felt wad between the powder and bullet. I believe his powder charge may have been his standard 80 grains (weighed) of Swiss 2f, but not positive on that.
I bought a decent supply of the .54 Hornady GPB's when I saw they were discontinuing them, and I shoot RB 99% of the time, but when I run out of the GPB's the first thing I'll try is a Maxi-ball with the upper groove left empty.

factory bullet was a 275 grain Maxi Hunter, a little over 5/8 long, close to as big as it will stabalize.

These 1:48" twist Thompson/Center rifles will stabilize bullets measuring AT LEAST 0.840" long, because that's how long all of Idaholewis's "I" designated bullets from Accurate Molds are. This would include the following mold numbers.....

#45-340I
#50-415I
#54-540I

In addition, members Kingwalter & BadKarma added the following molds to the I catalog.....

Kingwalter
#52-530I
BadKarma
#40-265I

I don't remember many posts on the #40-265I bullet, so BadKarma would have to jump in here to give his experience. All of the others shoot with from well to stunningly great accuracy out of 1:48" twist Thompson Center barrels, especially if the barrel has had its bore polished.

ok, ok, ok,. I sent an email to the trading post to see if they have one of those .50 TC Renegades 1/48 with a set trigger still on the shelf. If they do I think I will go get it. Cant say this was an impulse buy. That gun is 25 miles away and I can hear it calling my name. No I can hear it scream my name. LOL

I have a response already. They have the guns listed below.

Mnt Monkey, since Im intending to hunt with it and can do trigger work if needed Im thinking the .50 TC Renegade Hunter 1/48 is really a more practical choice. Which one do you want??? Ill have them send it to you.

We have the following TC models available. 2 - 54 caliber TC renegades set triggers 1/48 twist @225.00 each
1 50 caliber TC Renegade Hunter single trigger 1/48 twist $225.00
1 54 caliber TC White Mtn carbine 1/48 twist single trigger $200.00
1 50 cal. brand new TC Hawken set trigger, 1/48 twist $625.00

I can't believe that any of those guns are actually selling for a reasonable price.
If I didn't just buy another rifle, I'd be up for one.

I can't believe that any of those guns are actually selling for a reasonable price.
If I didn't just buy another rifle, I'd be up for one.
Either the shop owner doesn't know what he/she has.....

Or, isn't that kind of person who is out to price gouge his customers.

Either way, those prices are great bargains compared to what almost everyone else is selling Thompson/Center rifles for today, compared to 8-12 months ago. It seems like everybody has jacked their prices up by $100.00 to $200.00, on average over a year ago.

Who would have thought that a virus would have made old Thompson/Center rifles worth so much?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a guy on the other muzzleloader site that is selling a TC Patriot pistol. It has a 45 caliber barrel and a 36 caliber barrel. The gun appears to be in beautiful condition.
I think he's asking 850.

I have a response already. They have the guns listed below.

Mnt Monkey, since Im intending to hunt with it and can do trigger work if needed Im thinking the .50 TC Renegade Hunter 1/48 is really a more practical choice. Which one do you want??? Ill have them send it to you.

We have the following TC models available. 2 - 54 caliber TC renegades set triggers 1/48 twist @225.00 each
1 50 caliber TC Renegade Hunter single trigger 1/48 twist $225.00
1 54 caliber TC White Mtn carbine 1/48 twist single trigger $200.00
1 50 cal. brand new TC Hawken set trigger, 1/48 twist $625.00
I think the singing is done ,I hope to have the 54 s coming home ! Ed

I called KTP at 13:30 today, they were sold out of ALL T/C's this morning. I was looking for a 54 Renegade. The search continues...

Latest posts

Back