TC Renegade with 1/48 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked mine up today. I think I got a real bargain. Before I bought it I asked to see the inside of the barrel. He ran a patch and dropped a light. Beautiful. I feel very fortunate owning this gun.

Then I asked him to see the 2 54s eekjellander is buying. He ran a patch and dropped a light. Beautiful. eekjellander, If they are still there next Saturday Ill buy them myself. So don't drag your feet.

The carbine was sold in between so Mt Monkey wasn't able to get the gun he was interested in. However another gun is coming available and I think all of us will be happy when done. I did take more pics of some custom guns and other standard guns. Ill post them in a few days.

Get your checkbooks out. Some nice guns and very fair prices.

I picked mine up today. I think I got a real bargain. Before I bought it I asked to see the inside of the barrel. He ran a patch and dropped a light. Beautiful. I feel very fortunate owning this gun.

Then I asked him to see the 2 54s eekjellander is buying. He ran a patch and dropped a light. Beautiful. eekjellander, If they are still there next Saturday Ill buy them myself. So don't drag your feet.

The carbine was sold in between so Mt Monkey wasn't able to get the gun he was interested in. However another gun is coming available and I think all of us will be happy when done. I did take more pics of some custom guns and other standard guns. Ill post them in a few days.

Get your checkbooks out. Some nice guns and very fair prices.
Will not be there Monday as I hope they get shipped Tuesday /Thanks snap bang

My Renegade is a plain jane .54 and shoots .530 rib excellent with .018 patch and 80gr FFG. I use 90 grains when I shoot the last of my 54 caliber plains bullets. Sure wish Hornady would make them again. I’m down to me last 20 package.

Attachments

• 34C809DE-F113-41B8-B7A4-99BFB9BAAE61.jpeg
    34C809DE-F113-41B8-B7A4-99BFB9BAAE61.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 7
My Renegade is a plain jane .54 and shoots .530 rib excellent with .018 patch and 80gr FFG. I use 90 grains when I shoot the last of my 54 caliber plains bullets. Sure wish Hornady would make them again. I’m down to me last 20 package.
If you cast get the Lyman Plains , I cast them in my 45/50/54 in in pure lead they are killers/Ed

and in case you don"t PM me maybe we can work something out ,just remembered the 54 cals mold is (again like looking for unicorns ) and I cast alot ! /Ed

How do the deer act when shot with your 54??? Does it pole ax em or do they run off & have to be tracked? (double lung shots)

How do the deer act when shot with your 54??? Does it pole ax em or do they run off & have to be tracked? (double lung shots)
My last deer with the 54 (RB) 530gr and 80 gr OE 2F 83 yds quartering in head down feeding ,busted shoulder/leg on my side and flattened under the hide behind the off shoulder . Sounds good but ran off with 5 others maybe 100 yds on 4 inch new snow (not a drop of blood) ,and another 40 yds in the woods and found him laid up against a cedar tree big puddle of blood .shoulder smashed up lungs gone . I figured head down leg forward entry was covered with hide and high hit due to feeding and no exit caused the lack of blood . I still do not see why there was no blood blowing while running given the condition of the lungs ,. With conicals always a blood trail and usually a short one!/Ed

My last deer with the 54 (RB) 530gr and 80 gr OE 2F 83 yds quartering in head down feeding ,busted shoulder/leg on my side and flattened under the hide behind the off shoulder . Sounds good but ran off with 5 others maybe 100 yds on 4 inch new snow (not a drop of blood) ,and another 40 yds in the woods and found him laid up against a cedar tree big puddle of blood .shoulder smashed up lungs gone . I figured head down leg forward entry was covered with hide and high hit due to feeding and no exit caused the lack of blood . I still do not see why there was no blood blowing while running given the condition of the lungs ,. With conicals always a blood trail and usually a short one!/Ed
I had that problem with 2 i shot with an air rifle (45 cal) i hit it perfect & it ran clear out of sight. ( same thing with next one) no blood trail at all, & these are the only deer i've ever lost, , found em couple days later because of vultures, & coyotes.. The only thing i could imagine was that with just one hole, they are apt to not bleed much & takes long time for respiratory collapse. .. I changed to a heavier fatter hard cast 300 grain meister. instead of the saboted 180grain soft lead bullet i was using.. Next deer dropped in his tracks... 2 holes cause lung collapse & air to suck in and blow out wound hole & they spray blood... Since then i started using the high shoulder shot which drops em every time (but have meat loss).. I need a "pole axer" cause we really like venison here.. I hope the "no excuses" i'm using will provide such..

I'm 67, and I figure that a certain amount of meat loss due to bullet damage going in & out is better than a long tracking job. As soon as I get back to hunting this fall that is my plan.

Because of my osteoarthritis in both shoulders, if a shoulder fired weapon is in the works, as much as I long for a big bore patched ball longrifle, reality & doctors advise has me leaning heavily towards a fast twist Rice .40 caliber barrel with 0.008" deep square bottom grooves that have a 1:26 rate of twist.

If extra funds were available, I'd send Jason enough money for his time and trouble to make a new rifling cutter so that the following type of grooves could be cut.

5-groove rifling
Grooves measuring 0.006" deep
1 in 14" rate of twist
4:1 Ratio Forsyth-style .40 cal. grooves
Circumference equals Pi times diameter
C = π × d
C = 3.14 × 0.400"
C = 1.256"
1.256" ÷ 5 grooves = 0.2512"
0.2512" ÷ 5 = 0.05024" (width of lands)
0.05024" × 4 = 0.20096" (width of grooves)

Traditional Forsyth grooves measuring 0.006" deep will shoot tightly patched balls with massive 150-200 grain powder charges in .58 caliber and larger bores with high velocities & muzzle energies.

I think in a .40 caliber bore this type of rifling would take a tightly patched ball and stabilize it out to 50 yards for small game hunting. It would also be just shallow enough to engage a lubed lead conical bullet for hunting deer sized game.

A 1:14" rate of twist will stabilize bullets up to 450 grains in .40 caliber, not that I would need a bullet that heavy to hunt deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a .50 Cal. T/C Renegade Hunter. I have shot patched round balls in it. However, it shoots Buffalo Bullets (385 grain, hollow point and hollow base) best. It also shoots T/C Maxi Balls as good but, with a different point of aim.

Garryowen

Wow! I wish I could find a store like that here (NC Piedmont area). Great finds and great buys! Thanks for sharing.

‘Poet

Last edited:
Back