Tc renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a Renegade that i am aware of? TC did with their Hawken though, Called a Cougar Elite

Picture pulled from the Net

XmFHv8y.jpg

TC also made a Greyhawk, but it has a synthetic stock and rubber recoil pad.

I've always really liked the look of a wood stock against stainless barrel and furniture. Not traditional, but sharp looking nonetheless IMO. I didn't know TC made a Cougar Elite, that bottom one is sharp looking...minus the scope for my personal preference.

Lyman also made a stainless version of their Deerstalker, which is a sidelock.

They are beautiful, reason I ask a local shop has a 54 renegade on his shelf. The gun looks stainless. The kid told me it was nickel . I am going back tomorrow with a bore scope and check to see if it is an aftermarket barrel. His father will be there and can give me the story. Gun looks pretty good and I think I can get it for 100, we will see . And Saxtonyoung thank you for the 52 long range hunter. Very nice shape

I would be more willing to bet it was a kit gun that someone left "in the white". The kits come with barrels that require bluing or browning, and some folks just never got around to it or were intimidated of trying to do it. If it is a kit gun, the serial number will start with a "k". Factory finished rifle's serial numbers do not have the "k".
Do take something to check how the inside of the bore looks, this is an absolute must with a black powder rifle IMO. But the markings on the outside of the barrel should tell you if it is a factory barrel or not.

If the bore looks good and you don't mind having to blue it, I'd snap it up quick at that price. Unless it is a kit gun that was butchered...be sure to look closely at the metal to wood finish too.
Also, it is common for a lot of folks to liberally lube the bore with Bore Butter for storage. Bore Butter really gets a rust color to it when it dries out, so a lot of folks look into the bore or run a patch and think they are seeing rust...sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Sounds good, I don’t mind getting it blued , I have a pretty good guy for that, the bore is my concern, Thanks for your advice greatly appreciate it, kid told me it has been around awhile, told me to stop by tomorrow the old man will probably let me have cheap. He has it listed for 125 now so it shouldn’t be a problem

Could be wrong but I thought the Cougar and Elite were different versions of the Hawken.

Believe the Cougar has stainless hardware and cougar emblem but has blue barrel and tang.

Elite has stainless hardware ,tang and barrel but no emblem.

I too like the looks of stainless and wood.

Saxtonyoung said:
Could be wrong but I thought the Cougar and Elite were different versions of the Hawken.

Believe the Cougar has stainless hardware and cougar emblem but has blue barrel and tang.

Elite has stainless hardware ,tang and barrel but no emblem.

I too like the looks of stainless and wood.

Sax, You are probably correct here on Exact detail, I remember seeing Elite and Cougar, And they were Stainless, I didn’t know they did 2 different Versions? But i guess the pic i posted Shows the 2 different versions :D
These are not My Rifles, i just pulled this pic of the Internet to Show the Stainless. I don’t believe they did a Stainless Renegade though? I have never Seen one anyway

99% certain no stainless Renegades ever left the T/C factory. If. You’ve seen one it was most likely wearin’ a Green Mountain or similar drop-in barrel.

I think it’s Saxton that has a Stainless GM LRH Barrel in a Cougar, or Elite Stock? I think it looks AWESOME! :yeah:

Well gents the gun is a kit gun with the barrel raw, it is in nice shape and I am on the fence. I can get it for 100 so I just may grab it and get it blued. I do like the color combo with the wood. Thank you everyone for the info

It's hard to go wrong for a $100 on a Renegade, the hardware is easily worth that much.

This is my Cougar Lewis mentioned. The stock All ready had the stainless butt plate removed and replaced with this soft pad when I got it. Never did have the Cougar barrel, just thought it would go good with a stainless GM LRH barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_143002_kindlephoto-479263988.jpg
    IMG_20181229_143002_kindlephoto-479263988.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 142

Latest posts

Back