TC Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGF

Reaction score
I just traded into a TCScout pistol with both .54 and . 45 cal barrels. I looking for some guidance on preferred loads with PRB, sabots etc. and what I might expect for accuracy
I’ve got pleanty of 3F Goex BP and I can get Triple 7 pellets. I’m hoping to get a reasonable load together for white tails within 40-50 yards. I regularly shoot handguns, so I’m anticipating a shorter leaning curve with the Scout. In searching previous posts, there’s limited info on .50 cal. But I didn’t come across anything on my 2 calibers. One last thing, its sure is one tank of a handgun compared to my TC Patriot.

thanks

I am sure Lewis will chime in here as he had a scout pistol for a while and now I have it, it’s a tank of a pistol for sure..I’ve loaded magnum charges in mine and it handles it very well. Mine is a .50 with a 1-20 twist, I recently loaded some 200 grain Ftx bullets in a harvester smooth black sabots and was hitting a 6” steel gong at 50 yards with a 50 grain charge of Swiss 3f

I am sure Lewis will chime in here as he had a scout pistol for a while and now I have it, it’s a tank of a pistol for sure..I’ve loaded magnum charges in mine and it handles it very well. Mine is a .50 with a 1-20 twist, I recently loaded some 200 grain Ftx bullets in a harvester smooth black sabots and was hitting a 6” steel gong at 50 yards with a 50 grain charge of Swiss 3f
Steelheader - I looked over the info Frank supplied and was questioning the large powder charges in such a short barrel. Intuitively I suspect there should be a lot of wasted powder with excessive flash. You are using 50 grains of 3F successfully. I’m hoping to get a few hours Sunday or Monday to experiment with some different load combinations. Your comment supports my thoughts on starting lower than the published 2F loads. If I recall, a given 3F load equates to a 10-15% higher 2F load due to steeper pressure build up. 50g 3F = 62ish 2F
Thanks for your help. It seems like the Scout pistol was somewhat of a limited offering.

Steelheader - I looked over the info Frank supplied and was questioning the large powder charges in such a short barrel. Intuitively I suspect there should be a lot of wasted powder with excessive flash. You are using 50 grains of 3F successfully. I’m hoping to get a few hours Sunday or Monday to experiment with some different load combinations. Your comment supports my thoughts on starting lower than the published 2F loads. If I recall, a given 3F load equates to a 10-15% higher 2F load due to steeper pressure build up. 50g 3F = 62ish 2F
Thanks for your help. It seems like the Scout pistol was somewhat of a limited offering.

If you search the forums you will find where I was having issues with sabots deforming form my scout with larger loads…the muzzle flash was so bad that in the evening I couldn’t see for a second because it was so bright. A lot of wasted powder

Last edited:
How about trying Lee REAL bullets in the 54? No sabot to fool with and 54 will burn more powder for a given lenght than a 45. Frank posted the data. I agree, here is a geat start.

I guess you know, the breech plug screws right out for cleaning. I wonder if you could use a contender holster with that?

Thinking as I type. what would be a practical ram rod? How about a round wooden ball type starter with an screw on extension? Carry that in two pieces with some reloads in plastic tubes?

Last edited:
I just remember somehting: when loading black powder shot shells, I was told to use felt wads with no plastic over the powder. Also, the plastic hulls will melt/burn up, as in one time. Brass cases are very much preferred. That is consistent with steelheads experience.

The REAL bullets seem like a good match up to the original concept using unpatched TC bullets. Those bullets are very similar to TC maxi-bullets.

Just a quick update-
i didn’t have the 54 cal sabots I thought I had. Time to go shopping. Four bore I’ll have to try and get my hands on some Real bullets to try. So far I’m focusing on the 54 barrel. I was able to get out and shoot some PRB. 50 gr of 3F shot better at 25 yards than 60 grains - 2”-3”, but opened up to about 6” at 50yrds. I’m chalking that up to operator error with a new gun and slow trigger throw.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

Just a quick update-
i didn’t have the 54 cal sabots I thought I had. Time to go shopping. Four bore I’ll have to try and get my hands on some Real bullets to try. So far I’m focusing on the 54 barrel. I was able to get out and shoot some PRB. 50 gr of 3F shot better at 25 yards than 60 grains - 2”-3”, but opened up to about 6” at 50yrds. I’m chalking that up to operator error with a new gun and slow trigger throw.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.

the factory sights on the scout pistols aren’t helping much with accuracy either, when I scoped mine the groups shrank considerably. Trigger is definitely stiff on them as well

Well, life got in the way and delayed my range time. The 54 actually shot PRB / .018 patch over 60 grains of Goex 3F the best at 2.75”@ 25 yards rested. Tried .015, .018, and .020 patches. 50, 55, and 60 g charges. The 45 remains a challenge. At this point sabots are difficult to find.

Well, life got in the way and delayed my range time. The 54 actually shot PRB / .018 patch over 60 grains of Goex 3F the best at 2.75”@ 25 yards rested. Tried .015, .018, and .020 patches. 50, 55, and 60 g charges. The 45 remains a challenge. At this point sabots are difficult to find.
Do you need .54 sabots? Bullets for them as well? Or are you speaking of the .45?

Steelheader,
i looked unsuccessfully locally for both 54 and 45 sabots. Going to try the online route next. I handload 357, 44, and 45 Colt. So I’ve got plenty of candidates for projectiles. I suspect that they will end up shooting better than PRB. I’ve got an old Contender scope base. I figure trying to mount it on the Scout will make a nice indoor project this winter. I’ve got a couple of LER scopes sitting around. Just a matter of getting them mounted.

I’ve got a lot of .54 sabots I could send you some. I only currently have one .54 gun and it’s my mk85 which currently needs a new breech plug so I’m not using it anytime soon anyways.

Then at least you could try them out. And see if the gun likes them or not

I’ve got a lot of .54 sabots I could send you some. I only currently have one .54 gun and it’s my mk85 which currently needs a new breech plug so I’m not using it anytime soon anyways.

Then at least you could try them out. And see if the gun likes them or not

Thank you for your kind offer. Honestly, at this point, I see this being a Spring project. At 68, I need to get a scope mounted. The old eyes aren’t what they were haha. My goal is to get at least one of the barrels shooting a2” group at 50yrds for next year’s deer season.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you as well..I plan to scope mine as well hopefully I can find a scope that can handle it. The one I have in it now the reticle blew apart after just a few shots

Merry Christmas to you as well..I plan to scope mine as well hopefully I can find a scope that can handle it. The one I have in it now the reticle blew apart after just a few shots

What scope? I like to keep track of this stuff.

First one I tried was a bsa ler handgun scope, I can still see through it but something came apart inside and I have a bad shadow. It stinhits same point of impact every time but still..the shadow in it isn’t right. Then I mounted my Burris pistol scope and it only lasted a few shots before the reticle came apart. I’ve been told I can send the Burris in but I’d really like the confidence that it won’t happen again

Thanks. I was wondering about Konos. They are a low cost chinese scope sold with some inlines and for what little they cost, seem ok. But; none of my friends has used one long enough to know. Actaully, maybe all been replaced b now, but; not due to any problem that I am aware of. Burris is a surprise. Aparently all Burris are not made equally. What else is new! Brand names dont count for much. Except Leupold.

Back