telescopic sight definition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmycrockett85

Reaction score
anyone familiar with PA hunting reg for the late FL deer season? it states...Flintlock Muzzleloader Season
• Manually operated centerfire rifles, handguns and
shotguns with all-lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed
to expand on impact
• Semiautomatic centerfire shotguns that propel singleprojectile ammunition.
• Muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44 caliber or larger,
or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or larger; and
• Long, recurve or compound bows and crossbows with
broadheads of cutting-edge design.
Firearms Deer Seasons
See Special Regulations Areas section for restrictions that apply there.
• Flintlock ignition, single-barrel long gun, 44 caliber or
larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using singleprojectile ammunition. It is unlawful to use telescopic
sights. Peep sights are permitted. ....does this include a non telescopic red dot? i put one on for fun and it looks goofy but i love the dang thing. would sure like some input

I think you are talking about Hunting in Bucks County which is area 5C. I know in that area you can use the weapons you mentioned to harvest a doe. I spoke to DEC a couple of years ago and he stated you can use any of those weapons to harvest a doe, but to harvest a buck you must use a flintlock. Also, a Scope is also permitted in that area in 5C.

I haven't read the regulations in that area for this year, but I doubt they have changed. But you should read them and if still not sure call the Dec in that area.

i hunt in erie county up on the lake. i think the rules would still apply there. im just caught up on wording. it says telescopic sights unlawful but peep sight ok. it does not mention a non telescopic retical. like a red dot

thank you much, its nice to block out the surrounding visual stimulation, but im sure thats part of the hunt.

I teach hunter/ trapper ed courses. Open sights or aperture only in the flintlock season. No 1x or non mag red dots.It used to be open only, but once they allowed fiber ops ( I heard Daniel Boone really liked the reg/ green combo) apertures followed pretty quickly. Best non optical sights ever.
Be aware that Special Regs are COUNTY based, not management unit. 5c has special regs and non special reg areas. If you're going for the extended antlerless its special reg counties only. Flintlock is statewide except Philadelphia Co. No firearms hunting there.

i hunt in area 1B, erie co. it came with the red green combo. it would probably be best to just return to those sights and not make my life harder. just need to figure out my frizzen now. thank you

Latest posts

Back