Testing.45 .015 Jacket 300 grain Accumax bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougs136Schwartz

Reaction score
20190317_100827_resized_2.jpg 20190316_192449_resized_1.jpg 20190316_192516_resized_1.jpg I had these bullets special made. I wanted a high BC bullet with a thinner Jacket. My thought process was with the thinner jacket the bullet would obratrate into the rifling easier with Black powder and Black powder subs such as Blackhorn 209. With the weight of 300 grains and the pure lead core this bullet should double as a target/hunting style bullet. One nice thing about this particular bullet it can be made as low as 250 grains and as heavy as 350 grains. I have read where some of you Heavy lead guys will shoot bullets as light as 350 grains. Kyle may even have the ability to make this bullet heavier than 350 grains I honestly do not know.I was running out of daylight so I only shot 2 targets . 1 3 shot group and 1 5 shot group. I feel five shot groups are much more informational. I shot both groups off a front sand bag with no rear support. I wanted to test out a new shooting form. Initial testing of these bullets look very promising . This was the only 2 groups I shot I am not cherry picking groups. Both groups were shot at 105 yards .The test gun was a .45 Knight 1-20 Mountaineer. Charge was 84 grains Blackhorn 209 with a wool wad.The bullets diameter is .452 They will need to be sized in order to shoot sabotless out of a .45 . Kyle told me the Remington Ultimate guys are shooting this same bullet out of .50 cals with sabots.

I am not trying to promote any one bullet just showing choices.I feel there are several very good bullets makers out there. It is just personal choices. I am intrigued by bullet designs. There are advantages and dissadvantages to every bullet.

are they ordered special , for jacket thickness. sorry didn't read it well

Last edited:
Pittman is not stocking this bullet with this Jacket thickness ...yet. Kyle is wanting to see if they draw interest. Parkers Emax has a .015 jacket thickness . They weigh 270 grains.I really like that bullet but I wanted something a little heavier with the same jacket thickness. I have 250,275 and 300 grain bullets. I bought several hundred bullets for myself. I am not nor do i want to be in the buisness of selling bullets but if someone wanted to try these bullets send me a pm.

Like everyone . I am always looking for the perfect bullet. I am not partial i will try anything.

Great shooting. I have had excellent results with the regular 275 & 300 gr Accumax bullets, with the .021" jacket, shot sabotless out of a .45 smokeless muzzleloader. It makes sense to me that the thinner jacket would obratrate more easily with black powder and subs.

Gotta like that! Looks like an excellent target load for sure.
The key for a hunting bullet is will it hold together well enough or grenade.

What type of loading jag do you use? They are so long and pointy

They look good Doug but probably no advantage over the .021's for sabotless/smokeless.

I compleley agree . I had these built for Blackhorn and possibly smokless with a break action. .021 jacket is almost to thick for my 84 grain Blackhorn 209 loads.

Excellent shooting Doug. What was your loading pressure like? Did you undersize them and then knurl them back up?

One hand loading pressure with no knurling. I think with the thinner jacket they are bumping into the rifling just fine without knurling. I am very pleased. I tried this same thing with .012 jacket and Pittman Aeromax bullets. It did not work so well for me. I think the tip was to heavy and the jacket was not thick enough to support the weight of the tip. The bullet was deforming just enough i could not get the groups I wanted . This combo .015 with the Accumax I think will work very well with Blackhorn. I may have even been able to go to .018 jacket ?

I have the same gun. What did you size your bullets too? Mine appears to be .4505-.451
BE275 fit perfectly but I haven’t shot them yet.

Greg im sorry but i do not know. I just size to feel. I have 3 different sizing dies set up for 3 different guns. I need to get better calipers.

Doug...you need a mic that measures to five places after the dot (.00000). The Mitatoyo I bought last year ran about $130

Back