Thanks Hatchet Jack!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadehunter

Reaction score
Wanted to say thanks to @Hatchet Jack for telling me about Ranger Point Precision having smaller diameter fiber optic front sights. They make them in a 3/8 dovetail and with a fair amount of filing work I installed it on my TC Renegade.
I finally got out to sight in this weekend. After getting the sights close I put up a new target and shot a 4 shot group. Shot 50 yards from sand bags. 80 grains of Goex 3f, Hornady .530 RB, and pillow ticking patches .0175” thick lubed with mink oil. Swabbed between shots.
Shots 1,2,4 made the ragged hole on the right. Shot 3 I pulled a bit left. Man I was upset about that third shot ha ha. I held for center of the black circle, I can’t see the red 1” dot well enough to aim at it. My old sight would’ve covered up the entire black circle, new one is much better for finer aiming.
D69B328A-081E-4274-9AC5-2AE8A21AFFB8.jpeg

I have been thinking about calling Jerry Dove, of Dove's Custom Guns in Princeton, West Virginia to see if he would fabricate a custom front sight base for a small diameter fiber optic rod such as is common for bow hunting.

This would probably be fairly costly, perhaps in the neighborhood of $300.00.

I am someone that has severe astigmatism, and who has some difficulty in getting my eye to focus on a front sight.

Even with a 40" plus long barrel such as most traditional longrifles are equipped with; my eyes have difficulty focusing on a steel blade, or brass bead front sight.

Even with an aperture rear sight mounted close to my eyes on the tang of the breech plug.

I would have Mr. Dove make the sight base with a standard 3/8" wide male dovetail on its bottom that would fit most sidelock muzzleloading rifle barrels with a 3/8" wide female dovetail slot out on the muzzle.

If I recall correctly, the fiber optic rod material for bow hunting sights comes in 0.019" diameter, and 0.029" diameter sizes.

It seems to me that these much smaller diameter fiber optic rods would still gather enough light at normal muzzleloading hunting distances (under 50 meters) to be effective in helping the shooter with ageing eyesight (such as myself) to adequately put rounds on target.

And, just as importantly, be more visible when the light conditions are poor in the early morning, and late evening hours.

Without obscuring any more of the paper target, or more importantly, a big game animal, than is absolutely necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to say thanks to @Hatchet Jack for telling me about Ranger Point Precision having smaller diameter fiber optic front sights. They make them in a 3/8 dovetail and with a fair amount of filing work I installed it on my TC Renegade.
I finally got out to sight in this weekend. After getting the sights close I put up a new target and shot a 4 shot group. Shot 50 yards from sand bags. 80 grains of Goex 3f, Hornady .530 RB, and pillow ticking patches .0175” thick lubed with mink oil. Swabbed between shots.
Shots 1,2,4 made the ragged hole on the right. Shot 3 I pulled a bit left. Man I was upset about that third shot ha ha. I held for center of the black circle, I can’t see the red 1” dot well enough to aim at it. My old sight would’ve covered up the entire black circle, new one is much better for finer aiming.
View attachment 16794
That is some pretty good shooting. My renegade likes that load as well.
I too didn't know about the smaller front sights, I will have to look into it.

Latest posts

Back