The copper jacketed 45cal "conical"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well almost. In the 52cal topic i brought up the 458 Sub-X and it got the wheels turning.....What if you could shoot a .300 BC .452 bullet at a bit more than normal conical speeds. The .452 395gr Sub-X retains over 95% of its weight at the sub sonic load. There is an interesting write up i found.

So what if you can shoot that bullet at 1500fps or tad more. Sure cuts down on BH209 cost per shot. Hits the 200yard mark with over 1200fpe. If its retaining over 95% of its weight at 1100fps in gel it should still penetrate fine. The SD is great at .276.
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/45-cal-.452-395-gr-sub-x#!/
Interesting write up.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-hornady-super-subsonic-hunting-loads/
hornsuper3.jpg

The recovered 395-gr. .450 Bushmaster expanded to between 0.71" and 0.74" in diameter and retained 98.9 percent of its weight.

hornsuper4.jpg

The recovered 410-gr. .45-70 Gov’t expanded to between 0.66" and 0.68" in diameter and retained 99.6 percent of its weight.

These kinda numbers make me wonder how well it would hold up when shot a little faster? Even if its loses 80gr or so its still a big hunk of lead and im betting a pass thru. They are a bit pricey at about $38/50 but that is still way cheaper than a Powerbelt 300gr Plat and it has a far better BC/SD.
Z3rXZ5A.png

Last edited:
Sure if your twist is fast enough. The .452 is a kinda close for a 1-28 but it might work. I dont have a length listing for the .458. Upto 1" long is usually ok in a 1-28 or faster.

JBM says ..........................................................................................and that is on the lower half of stable. Shoot for around 1.7 or higher is a good idea.
Stability:1.498

Last edited:
Thanks GM , 1:28 is what i would use, likely a Optima or Accura.

Ordered a pack also. Ended up being
$0.80 a bullet with tax and shipping.

Last edited:
I think they look interesting if 1600fps is possible especially sabotless in 45s. Would love to see if Ron is interested in smacking a jug with them too. Its sure aint the cheapest way to go but that Hornady ballistics calculation looks promising.

I just bought a pack of them. Im going to first develope a 450 load. Then i’ll try some in one of my MLs.
Very interested in your thoughts when you size them. Im hoping since its a sub sonic bullet they made the jackets thinner/softer and used a softer lead alloy. A guy on Youtube used the 190gr 300 Blackout version in a 308Win. They were devastating on the gel block but penetration was still adequate or better. I would like to run these between 1500 and 1600fps if thats enough kick from a BH209 load to get them to obturate. A poly wad may help quite a bit is my guess.

80-85gr of BH209 being the goal to reach 1500fps or a little more.

BTW someone posted a pic of Westerns BH209 45cal data but i cant seem to dig it up now.

Wonder what barrel length those loads were shot in? And, were they fired in a direct ignition firearm?

Wonder what barrel length those loads were shot in? And, were they fired in a direct ignition firearm?
From Western Powder
209 Ignition

I Believe it was from a .45 Cal Knight with 26" Barrel?

Notice the 300gr PB Plat at 1740fps. That was what i wanted to see. So if thats accurate then a 395gr might be over 1500fps.

My pack of 100 came in today. Dang, those puppies are heavy, especially in a box of 100! Length on the few I measured were 1.1 in and weighed in at 396 grns.

Ron, if you PM me your address, i will be happy to send you what you need to test them. Bore rider or with sabots doesn't matter to me, will send them too if needed.

John

Will plan to shoot them without sabot in a 45 Knight, if they can be sized. If sabot are required, i can furnish them. Can shoot them with 50g Blackhorn and/or 80g Blackhorn. Need a minimum of 2 bullet to establish aim, and one for the bottles for each shoot. Depending on how it goes need 6 bullet minimum.

There may be complications if the bullets are difficult to size.

Thanks Ron,

I'll send 8 just to be sure. I think GM54 is most interested in the 80 gr charge. Probably get them out on Tuesday.

John

If 80grV gets close to 1600fps thats gunna be a nasty load. Assuming the claimed BC is close at that speed. Sight in at 100 and dial up 2.3mil for 200. Simple.

Latest posts

Back