The I Series

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, The bearing surface runs up on the Nose of these, here you can see it at .54, I am not crazy about a Bore Rider nose in a Muzzleloader, i do have several that i shoot in my Muzzleloaders, some Shoot well, and some Don’t. In my opinion The Bore Rider noses are better left to Cartridge guns

Red arrow pointing at the Top of the Bearing Surface
zxuucVx.jpg
i just wondered , had cartridge bullet do that and got some leading from it, but i think was more due to alloy

i just wondered , had cartridge bullet do that and got some leading from it, but i think was more due to alloy

I get zero leading, a lot of that has to do with My lube, My lube mixture with HP Ultra won’t allow leading. One of the BACO crew has tested my Lube with GREAT Success in Bpcr, He was SHOCKED at the Reduction in Leading. Plain SPG WILL Lead. My lube in a Muzzleloader will NOT allow leading, i have tested it thoroughly. A 240 Grain PURE Lead bullet traveling at 2,000 Fps, ZERO Leading

That front sight is KEY in me being able to Shoot open/peep sights like i do. But is a POOR Choice for low light hunting, They are really designed around Target Shooting. To top that Globe front sight off, i use Lee Shaver Fine BPCR inserts in them. With the fine pin insert i can Hold on a Pop Can at 100 Yards

I just took this so you can see the difference. Left is a Stock TC Blade front sight, middle is a 1/16” Bead which is actually nice for a Hunting Bead, And Right is 1 of my Lee Shaver Fine bead inserts for my 17 Series Globes, You tell me which one would give a Better Sight picture? :)
PXVtXFI.jpg

These are a Couple of my Target Globes, i have 3 or 4 of these Adjustable Fronts, One on the way as i type this, along with another Long Range Soule Tang Sight :lewis:
bQHHXYH.jpg

syrPzgc.jpg

I use this little Fly Box for my Various inserts
5ayuGvR.jpg

Toss in a Hadley Eye cup with a Globe front sight, and it’s as good as Open sights gets!
iaIKS3K.jpg
The front post on that first one looks way too thick, similar to what I have on my 275 Rigby which restricts me to 100 yard shots.

I don't want to derail this thread but if you were ever interested I would really like a thread about sight choice for different situations e.g. hunting, target shooting and under different light conditions.

Personally I hunt between 10 - 200 yards mostly, unsure what is the best setup to have on my pedersoli once it gets here. I remember in the video you did of the pedersoli you remarked on the factory sights not being great and I think you were just being polite at that!.

That front sight is KEY in me being able to Shoot open/peep sights like i do. But is a POOR Choice for low light hunting, They are really designed around Target Shooting. To top that Globe front sight off, i use Lee Shaver Fine BPCR inserts in them. With the fine pin insert i can Hold on a Pop Can at 100 Yards

I just took this so you can see the difference. Left is a Stock TC Blade front sight, middle is a 1/16” Bead which is actually nice for a Hunting Bead, And Right is 1 of my Lee Shaver Fine bead inserts for my 17 Series Globes, You tell me which one would give a Better Sight picture? :)
PXVtXFI.jpg

These are a Couple of my Target Globes, i have 3 or 4 of these Adjustable Fronts, One on the way as i type this, along with another Long Range Soule Tang Sight :lewis:
bQHHXYH.jpg

syrPzgc.jpg

I use this little Fly Box for my Various inserts
5ayuGvR.jpg

Toss in a Hadley Eye cup with a Globe front sight, and it’s as good as Open sights gets!
iaIKS3K.jpg

What are the sights? I'm thinking about using something similar for my new rifle.

I get zero leading, a lot of that has to do with My lube, My lube mixture with HP Ultra won’t allow leading. One of the BACO crew has tested my Lube with GREAT Success in Bpcr, He was SHOCKED at the Reduction in Leading. Plain SPG WILL Lead. My lube in a Muzzleloader will NOT allow leading, i have tested it thoroughly. A 240 Grain PURE Lead bullet traveling at 2,000 Fps, ZERO Leading
Lube mixture? I have a few ACCURATE molds but was never able to cure the leading problem. Could you share you lube mix?

Lube mixture? I have a few ACCURATE molds but was never able to cure the leading problem. Could you share you lube mix?

Stihl HP Ultra Synthetic 2 Stroke engine oil is the KEY Ingredient to STOP, or GREATLY Reduce barrel leading. Incorporate this Stuff in your Lube :lewis:
Zm6Kuhe.jpg

My 2 Favorite Recipes are Lubes that i Buy, Then i tinker with them. The 1st is Bullshop‘s NASA Lube.

To 1 pound of Bullshop NASA, Melt lube in a Double Boiler setup, Thoroughly Mix 2 of the Small HP Ultra Bottles in it

2nd (The one I’ve been using the most lately)
1/2 pound of REGULAR Version SPG Lube, Melt Lube in a Double Boiler Setup, Thoroughly mix 1 of the Small HP Ultra Bottles in it, Along with 1 Stick of Lyman ALOX Lube
m7nUKMK.jpg

When i say REGULAR version SPG i mean the one on the Right here, the one on the left is a Stiffer Lube for High Temperature (Tropical I believe it’s called?), I have never tried it? The regular stuff that i use is already to stiff the way it comes for my liking, I don’t like SPG until i tinker with it and thin it down some.
MUTxfQS.jpg

Make DARN SURE to use a Double Boiler setup, If you use direct heat you will almost gauranteed Scorch, and RUIN the Lube.

If you don’t have a Double Boiler, it’s easy to compromise, Use a Regular pot with Jar Ringer lids, Just barely Cover the Lids with Water, Now set your Lube Pan inside this Pot on the Jar Lids. Use Low to mid Heat. This is how i do it :lewis:

Hey Lewis, I ordereda 45-340I today at .454 +.002. If it drops at .456, do you think sizing it to .451 would be excessive?

Hey Lewis, I ordereda 45-340I today at .454 +.002. If it drops at .456, do you think sizing it to .451 would be excessive?

No, that will be ok, it’s not Ideal, But it’s not Bad. If i needed a .451 Bullet Diameter, i Personally would go .452 with his PLUS Tolerance (I went .452)

Tom once explained to me that when using his PLUS Tolerance he sets the Machine to Cut .001 OVER what you ask, This ENSURES you get what you Ask for. The way i cast, i end up .002 Larger most everytime. When sizing Bullets, Try and stay to more than .003 Sizing, It’s much easier on the Bullet

We all Fear a Bullet Dropping to Small, and for Good Reason, You can always size a Bullet that’s to large, But it’s impossible to make a Bullet larger. You just have to overcome this thinking, Tom knows EXACTLY what he’s doing, You will get what you ask for! The Rest is up to you the Caster, If you follow my Casting Tips & Tricks you won’t have ANY Problems. If you have any Questions, Just ask me, I’m glad to help ya anyway i can :lewis:

Lewis do you think Accurate would make a 58i mould? I have a Colerain 58 with a 32 twist barrel and a Big Boar.

Definitely he would! Just ask him :lewis: Tell him you would like to him to Duplicate the i Series Bullet out to a .58 Cal, He will draw it up through his Computer program and ad it to his Catalog. Then you order it, Using your Needed Diameter for your Bore :lewis: This bullet should work fine in a .58 Cal, 1-32 Twist is Actually QUITE Fast for .58 Cal

In .58 Cal This Bullet would end up weighing 575 or So Grains, My .54 is 500 Grains

The reason i started the 40-1 Alloy here, is due to Problems with Pure lead Bullets Stripping out on the way down the Bore, My fix was 40-1 Alloy. MANY Folks have followed me on this, with Great success

Definitely he would! Just ask him :lewis: Tell him you would like to him to Duplicate the i Series Bullet out to a .58 Cal, He will draw it up through his Computer program and ad it to his Catalog. Then you order it, Using your Needed Diameter for your Bore :lewis: This bullet should work fine in a .58 Cal, 1-32 Twist is Actually QUITE Fast for .58 Cal

In .58 Cal This Bullet would end up weighing 575 or So Grains, My .54 is 500 Grains
If I remember correctly I had Scott from Colerain make that barrel for me. The only issue is that it is a .580 bore and all the hornady plains and remington bullets that I had for it are REALLY tight going down. The bullets fit the TC Big Bore just fine and shoot very well. IIRC the TC bore is .585.

Man, do I like a fat meplat! Can't beat 'em for penetration and damage. It's like driving a snow plow through the game's inards!

@Idaholewis how do you think the .54 would shoot out of a 1:48 twist?

I'm just about to the point where I'm gonna ante up on another barrel with a tighter twist.

Latest posts

Back