The I Series

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly I had Scott from Colerain make that barrel for me. The only issue is that it is a .580 bore and all the hornady plains and remington bullets that I had for it are REALLY tight going down. The bullets fit the TC Big Bore just fine and shoot very well. IIRC the TC bore is .585.
I have a home made Minie ball mould that should work for that. They shoot pretty well from my sons musket. I don’t recall the weight and exact diameter. I’m at my shop and the bullets all got drug up to the house. I’ll be glad to size you a handful and send them out to try.

Man, do I like a fat meplat! Can't beat 'em for penetration and damage. It's like driving a snow plow through the game's inards!

@Idaholewis how do you think the .54 would shoot out of a 1:48 twist?

I'm just about to the point where I'm gonna ante up on another barrel with a tighter twist.

This i Bullet will do GREAT in the 1:48 Twist, this is one reason i did this one. Using the JBM Stability calculator, The 1:48 Twist .54 Cal is Right at home here with this .84” Long i Series Bullet

Remember, The military standard for Stability is 1.5, Here is the 1-48 Twist with this Bullet, SOLID in the Green at 1.799, Which is AWESOME :lewis:
YFXsWtn.jpg

It actually takes a Slower Twist in .54 Cal to hit the “Magic“ 1.5 Number with this Bullet, a 1:52 Twist to be exact
TSlutld.jpg

The above said, My HOTROD 1:28 Twist sure did well with this Little i Bullet huh? :)
I believe in these Twist calculators, they DEFINITELY work, But they become more important the longer the distance, Lets say 300 yards and Beyond. One needs to think, How many people are gonna be Slinging Lead beyond 300 Yards with a .54 Cal? Not many :) According to JBM with my 1:28 Twist .54 Cal LRH, I would need a Bullet in the 1.4” long range, weighing 750 Grains or so in order to Hit the 1.5 Stability Number

Look here at my HOTROD 1:28 Twist LRH, it is stil in the Green, but WAY out at 5.287, The 1:48 Twist is a MUCH MUCH better fit here according to the Stability Calculator
QW7P8ie.jpg

Last edited:
This i Bullet will do GREAT in the 1:48 Twist, this is one reason i did this one. Using the JBM Stability calculator, The 1:48 Twist .54 Cal is Right at home here with this .84” Long i Series Bullet

Remember, The military standard for Stability is 1.5, Here is the 1-48 Twist with this Bullet, SOLID in the Green at 1.799, Which is AWESOME :lewis:
YFXsWtn.jpg

It actually takes a Slower Twist in .54 Cal to hit the “Magic“ 1.5 Number with this Bullet, a 1:52 Twist to be exact
TSlutld.jpg

The above said, My HOTROD 1:28 Twist sure did well with this Little i Bullet huh? :)
I believe in these Twist calculators, they DEFINITELY work, But they become more important the longer the distance, Lets say 300 yards and Beyond. One needs to think, How many people are gonna be Slinging Lead beyond 300 Yards with a .54 Cal? Not many :) According to JBM with my 1:28 Twist .54 Cal LRH, I would need a Bullet in the 1.4” long range, weighing 750 Grains or so in order to Hit the 1.5 Stability Number

Look here at my HOTROD 1:28 Twist LRH, it is stil in the Green, but WAY out at 5.287, The 1:48 Twist is a MUCH MUCH better fit here according to the Stability Calculator
QW7P8ie.jpg
That 750 grain bullet would wake you up for sure!

I have a home made Minie ball mould that should work for that. They shoot pretty well from my sons musket. I don’t recall the weight and exact diameter. I’m at my shop and the bullets all got drug up to the house. I’ll be glad to size you a handful and send them out to try.
Just miked a lead slug that I pressed in the bore. It was .576 on the lands and .581 for the groove.

That 750 grain bullet would wake you up for sure!
I still remember the first time I shot my 58 with a 625 grain Maxi over 100 gr V of Triple 7 FF. The rifle forend left my hand and the stock slammed into my cheek bone. It felt so good I had to do it a second time.:bang:, that is when my buddy pointed out my developing bruise. Took a break after that. I then went to a lyman cast minnie 520 grain that fit the bore a little better 578611, I think, it shot ok, but not as good as my big bore tc with hornady plains bullets.

I still remember the first time I shot my 58 with a 625 grain Maxi over 100 gr V of Triple 7 FF. The rifle forend left my hand and the stock slammed into my cheek bone. It felt so good I had to do it a second time.:bang:, that is when my buddy pointed out my developing bruise. Took a break after that. I then went to a lyman cast minnie 520 grain that fit the bore a little better 578611, I think, it shot ok, but not as good as my big bore tc with hornady plains bullets.
That type of shooting would be good for teaching the "flinch"!

Back