The Mighty TC Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Any of you Guys have one of these? I got this one in a Trade, it was New. It’s a .50 Cal, I have Shot up to 80 Grains of Swiss 2 and 3F Powder, Pushing a 450 Grain Paper Patch Bullet, That was an EYE OPENER Load :eek::D These TC Scouts are Built like HURRICANES, They are EXTREMELY STOUT!! I have a Couple of Rifles as well.

I need to get back out with this thing someday soon, I would like to Get a BIG CAT With it. I would like to Find a New, or Like New .54 Cal Scout Pistol Barrel to have for this thing as well. They even made a .45 Cal Barrel, But those are Much more Rare to Come Across, i see one on Gunbroker, high asking Price and it looks Rough. I seen 1 Brand New .45 Cal on GB as well, That guy told me he would Sell it for 500 Bucks :eek: Needless to Say I don’t Own it! I might have Jim Carpenter Build me a Barrel? I have 2 Donor Breech Plugs
ZTm0dnX.jpg

fGZMkRC.jpg

I had a partial pistol i picked up off ebay. Everything but the wood. Spent a couple years looking but never found any. Custom wood was too expensive. I ended up selling it to 8bore on another forum. Still regret it.
DL

I really like that scout. Better ad one to my 'gotta have one' list. Kinda makes me think of a cross between an Encore and a revolver. A prelude to the modern inline pistol.

I wish I still had the video tape that came with my renegade that I had bought new in 1999 built (Pre fire). Showed someone with a scout and conical drop a big buck knocking them over. That fire really changed the direction of muzzleloading.

I got a hankering for a 45/70 barrel for my TC Contender G1 frame. Bore and thread the barrel for a breech plug using 209 or LR primers. I would want a 14" to 16" barrel. That should give me plenty of barrel for a good velocity. Not really sure what TC's twist for 45/70 was but should be at least 1-20 or better and maybe a .458 groove dia. with a bore of .450 to .451 . Anyone done this before???
DL

Last edited:
The TC Scouts are BADLY Misunderstood by many. They are a Fast 1:20 Twist. When you learn what makes them Tick, they are SUPER RELIABLE Guns. Inline ignition, Before loading you can simply cock the Hammer and look through the Nipple hole, if you see Daylight it’s gonna go BOOM! If you don’t See Daylight you have a Problem, Simple as that. They have a Really Small Powder/Ante Chamber, about the Size of a .22 Cal Brush, Maybe a .30 Cal at Most. This area is where 99.9% of Scout Hangfire problems occur, Improper Cleaning, Oil etc.

The Breech Plug has a Built in No. 11, NON Removable/Replaceable Nipple (Like The White Breech Plugs)

The Scouts also have a Venting System for “Blowback” it starts in the Breech Plug/Nipple Setup, then escapes out of 2 Holes on each side of the Barrel at the Breech Plug, and then inside the Frame itself where there are 2 Angled Exhaust Ports that Point forward, Away from the Shooter.

The Very Early, original Scouts didn’t have the 2 Vent Holes in the Breech Plug Nipple Setup, It wasn’t long into production that TC Vented the Breech Plug/Nipple. Here are both Variations, New/Current Top, Old original Plug on Bottom
tqaGjH2.jpg

Here you can see how the Breech plug goes in, I wish the Vent Holes in the Plug were Shown here, But the Plug is Turned Sideways and you can’t see them, But you can see the 2 Holed in the Barrel where Blowback can Escape out the Sides. I see folks talk about the Breech plug Vent Holes NOT lining up with these 2 Barrel Holes? IT DOESNT MATTER if they Do, or DONT? It’s going to Exhaust NO MATTER where the Orientation is? Just Screw the Plug in and go, That Simple!
1Uw6bKL.jpg

TJ5Ffqt.jpg

And here you can see how it all Works, VERY SIMPLE, and HIGHLY Effective. Notice the holes in the Side of the Black Reciever? Those are the Angled Away from Shooter Exhaust Cuts i spoke of Earlier. The Scouts are Built like HURRICANES, HELL For STOUT!!
mC9MmVl.jpg

TC Made several Variations of the Scout. And i have Read of a Few Different Twist Rates, But all were Fast Twist for Bullets, Sabots. 1:20 Twist is what my .50 Was, The Pistols came in .45, .50, and .54 Cal.

To mention a few that i have Seen, The Regular Scout, Came with Black Plastic Stock, or Wood.

“Cody” Scout, Octagon Barrel, Crescent/Curved Butt plate, Case Colored Reciever (Some had it, some didn’t)

“Texas” Scout, Octagon Transitions to Round Barrel, Case Colored Reciever, Brass Nose Cap on Forend instead of Barrel Band

“Grey” Scout, Stainless Barrel, Black Plastic Stock

I like the looks of the scout and actually had a chance to buy one several years ago but passed. Having taken a few deer with the Optima I am pretty stuck on it for hunting. The Vortek pistols turned out to be a joke for me as they could never get any real degree of accuracy and having them down the road is almost a relief. lol I'd buy a scout for paper shooting in a heartbeat if the price was right but thus far they tend to be spendy little tools.

Sure miss mine, wish the thief would bring it back.
Super for white tail.

BUMMER to hear that!! Nothing much worse than a Thief, a Liar Running a Close 2nd

The Little Scouts are AWESOME Rifles, I started out using a Winchester Model 94 .30-30 at the Age of 8-9 Yrs Old, These Scouts Remind me of them, The way they Fit/Feel, Even look to a Degree

I owned a 54 caliber Scout pistol when they first came out. I had some trouble shooting it and in a fit sold it. Kind of wished I still had it. It seemed that sabots were in their infancy when it came out. I shot huge Maxi balls out of it and accuracy was horrid.

I owned a 54 caliber Scout pistol when they first came out. I had some trouble shooting it and in a fit sold it. Kind of wished I still had it. It seemed that sabots were in their infancy when it came out. I shot huge Maxi balls out of it and accuracy was horrid.

My Pistol seemed plenty accurate, I was shooting 25, and 50 Yards with it, using my 450 Grain Paper Patch Bullets. I Need to get back out with it, I might Cast up, and Try Maxi’s in it next time out and See how they do in this .50 Cal?

I looked for a .54 Cal Scout Pistol Barrel for awhile. I found one, but the Guy wanted to Trade me for my .50 Cal Barrel, I wanted Both Barrels as a Set. TC also made a .45 Cal Scout Pistol, i would REALLY like to find a New/like new .45 Scout Barrel.

450 grain pills? I'll bet that it bucked nice with a bullet that heavy. What kind of powder charge pushed that? I had a CVA sidelock kit pistol in .54 cal years ago and that wasn't too bad with the conventional round ball and patch with 40 grains of powder.

What does the Scout pistol weigh with the .50 cal barrel?

BUMMER to hear that!! Nothing much worse than a Thief, a Liar Running a Close 2nd

The Little Scouts are AWESOME Rifles, I started out using a Winchester Model 94 .30-30 at the Age of 8-9 Yrs Old, These Scouts Remind me of them, The way they Fit/Feel, Even look to a Degree
That is exactly the reason my Wife bought my two scouts for me for Christmas. I was drooling over the appearance to a Model 94. She was bidding on two of them (unbeknownst to me) and won them both. One is .54 the other .50. The .50 showed up without a ramp for the rear sight (easy to build) and the bore was in horrible shape, and the first time my son shot it, he came up holding his cheek, Breech plug was horribly wore out. I ordered a couple of new ones from arrowhead and that fixed that. Not sure how it will group. I oiled and scrubbed and oiled and scrubbed and oiled and scrubbed the crap out of that barrel. Every time I pul more oil in and patched, they came out red. Once I get the ramp built, I’ll see how it groups. I’ll shoot that barrel till it’s completely gone, then I may do a smokeless conversion on it. There’s a video of one that I haven’t watched yet, just saw the title. I think it was from Hankins. I read a lot about what a beast they were to clean. Hogwash! Such a simple well designed little rifle. Trigger is a little tough to get used to.

Ok so I just watched a little of the video. That was a CVA scout NOT a T/C scout. Guess we’ll just shoot till it’s trashed and then rebarrel in .45 or .41 or something neat.....

Not to go off on too much of a tangent but one other reason I sold it was due to being, at least for me, a bear to clean. It seemed that when you had a scope mounted to it the cleaning process of the old hot soapy water on the frame became a real pain. I used a coffee can and allowed the frame to soak.This was in the days of Pyrodex and BP. Also the vented nipple system did not allow for the use of any other cap size than no 11. I even contemplated a custom made nipple for musket caps.

I liked the gun in concept but what really killed the scout was the great TC fire in the 1990's. I was and still am a Contender Nut and became aware of the fire that destroyed the original factory. The machinery that was used to make the Scout frames went up in smoke, literally, so the management decided that the investment to retool wasn't worth it.

Back