The Mighty TC Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q. For Idaholewis. I have a chance to trade for a pair a Scout ruffle it's blued brass and wood and the Scout pistole is the same brass blued and wood I know you have been talking about the pistol but I have heard that the riffles are not that good with any bullet powder combo. I know that whatever is on the ninny net is true but I would like to hear your great wisdom thanks

Q. For Idaholewis. I have a chance to trade for a pair a Scout ruffle it's blued brass and wood and the Scout pistole is the same brass blued and wood I know you have been talking about the pistol but I have heard that the riffles are not that good with any bullet powder combo. I know that whatever is on the ninny net is true but I would like to hear your great wisdom thanks

Truth is, i don’t know much about the Scouts and Accuracy? I have Shot them SO LITTLE that i just Can’t Say for Sure? The few times i have Shot them, I remember they Shot good with Swiss Blackpowder, And BACO Paper Patch Bullets. They are a FAST TWIST, Best suited for BIG Lead, And Maybe Sabots? (I know NOTHING about Sabots?) My love for the Scouts is how they look, and Feel. I am not Crazy about ANY of the Single Trigger Guns like the Scouts for Bench Rest type Accuracy Shooting, I prefer my Set Trigger Hawken’s and Renegades with Rice, and Green Mountain Barrels for that application :lewis: I need to get my Scouts out this Spring/Summer and Knock the Dust off them!

The trigger on the Scout rifle (at least the two I have) is horrible. If you can get used to that, I think they can be pretty accurate. The two My wife bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago, I haven’t shot a lot. One is a .54 the other a .50. I just replaced the breechplug in the .50 but it came with no ramp for the rear sight so I have only shot it at about 30-40’yards and it grouped well at that range. I don’t remember even shooting the .54 yet. I love the look and feel of the rifle though. Saw it and had to have it.

The trigger on the Scout rifle (at least the two I have) is horrible. If you can get used to that, I think they can be pretty accurate. The two My wife bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago, I haven’t shot a lot. One is a .54 the other a .50. I just replaced the breechplug in the .50 but it came with no ramp for the rear sight so I have only shot it at about 30-40’yards and it grouped well at that range. I don’t remember even shooting the .54 yet. I love the look and feel of the rifle though. Saw it and had to have it.

That’s me! I think they are REALLY NEAT Looking, and Handling little Rifles. I grew up Hunting with a Winchester Model 94 .30-30, These TC Scouts Remind me of them :lewis: I was able to get Very acceptable Accuracy the few times i have Shot mine. That was BIG HEAVY Lead, and Swiss Real Blackpowder. I think they would make an Excellent Short Range Rifle (Out to 100 Yards or So) They would be a Pleasure to Carry Around this Thick Brushy Country. I have read a LOT about the Twist Rate being a Really Fast 1:20, especially on the Oldest Scouts. This would make Sense why you also Read about Guy’s struggling with Accuracy, My guess is they are Trying Lighter Weight Bullets? If indeed they are 1:20 Twist? They need a Longer/Heavier Bullet to Stabilize Good. I was Shooting 550 Grain Paper Patch Bullets in my 50 Cal Scout, they Shot Really well in it. I had it Scoped at the time, A cheap Junker Scope, But it worked. I also Shot 515, and 650 Grain Paper Patch in my .54 Scout a Few times, That was Exhilarating :D Hunting Accuracy to 100 Yards wouldn’t have been a Problem! The triggers are Stiff, and that i DON’T Like! I even Thought about Stripping this .54 Down and Doing a Trigger Job on it? This thread might re-spark my interest in following through and Doing that

My preferred style of Shooting is Longer Range Fun Stuff, I am SO accustomed to ultra light Set triggers that break in the ounces, that I REALLY Struggle with Heavy single Trigger Guns, This is the MAIN reason My Little TC Scouts Do a LOT of Standing “Idle” in my Gun Safe. But i will say when our little 6 Day Cow Elk Hunt Rolls around, this .54 Cal Scout is one of the 1st Rifles that JUMP to my mind. I really need to Shoot them More

I had an early vented 24" rifle model with the 1:20 twist before they went to 1:38 when so many were complaining about getting accuracy with lead bullets.

Mine had a very nice trigger, no creep and broke in the neighborhood of 3.5 to 4# in comparison to other triggers that claim that weight range (T/C Omega and the trigger in my AR).

I was attempting to get a friend's home-cast MaxiHunters to group out of it and I could not. Went with the .430 XTP 300 grain in the T/C Break-O-Way sabots and it would overlap bullet holes at 100 yards with a 3-9x40 scope on it. In retrospect, his bullets were atrocious! I should have tried some factory MaxiBall!! Shot my first muzzleloader deer with that rifle and was extremely happy with the XTPs. I eventually parted ways with my Scout and moved on to a ThunderHawk. This move was specifically because of the vented breech plug. One day I was shooting it at the range in windy conditions and a spark/ember from out of that damned plug blew back and burnt its way through my mustache and onto my lip. Took it home, cleaned it good, and put it on the rack for sale!!

I really wish someone would do a smokeless conversion on a Scout; doing away with the vented plug in the process and modifying the hammer for 209 primers and LR primer adapters. That would be a really cool smokeless!

Well I don't think I'm gonna trade I want one but just don't want to let go of my Auto 5 for one thanks for your info

I had an early vented 24" rifle model with the 1:20 twist before they went to 1:38 when so many were complaining about getting accuracy with lead bullets.

Mine had a very nice trigger, no creep and broke in the neighborhood of 3.5 to 4# in comparison to other triggers that claim that weight range (T/C Omega and the trigger in my AR).

I was attempting to get a friend's home-cast MaxiHunters to group out of it and I could not. Went with the .430 XTP 300 grain in the T/C Break-O-Way sabots and it would overlap bullet holes at 100 yards with a 3-9x40 scope on it. In retrospect, his bullets were atrocious! I should have tried some factory MaxiBall!! Shot my first muzzleloader deer with that rifle and was extremely happy with the XTPs. I eventually parted ways with my Scout and moved on to a ThunderHawk. This move was specifically because of the vented breech plug. One day I was shooting it at the range in windy conditions and a spark/ember from out of that damned plug blew back and burnt its way through my mustache and onto my lip. Took it home, cleaned it good, and put it on the rack for sale!!

I really wish someone would do a smokeless conversion on a Scout; doing away with the vented plug in the process and modifying the hammer for 209 primers and LR primer adapters. That would be a really cool smokeless!
Not sure I would dare try that one. I don’t know how you could ever incorporate some kind of solid stop behind that primer to keep it in there. You’d almost have to change it to a lever action of some sort to get a block to come op behind the primer. With really mild loads, it might be ok. I love how they handle, I just don’t love the trigger.on mine.

Not sure I would dare try that one. I don’t know how you could ever incorporate some kind of solid stop behind that primer to keep it in there. You’d almost have to change it to a lever action of some sort to get a block to come op behind the primer. With really mild loads, it might be ok. I love how they handle, I just don’t love the trigger.on mine.

Probably the easiest to accomplish would be a custom plug that would have something like an old MagSpark adapter on it to keep the 209 primer in place and would also provide the "firing pin" for the primer. It would be a lengthy process to reprime, pretty much exactly like Hankins' direct ignition plug.

I just think it would be REALLY cool to have one smokeless that looked like that!!

A family friend has a Scout carbine. I am not sure what they ever did with it. I know some in the New England area liked them due to their likeness to a M94. A handy brush gun for the brushy New England deer woods.

An old friend had one of those years ago. I could have bought it from his sister after he passed but the whole thought of it was too painful at the time. I think his was a .54 cal? not sure exactly but it was a cool looking gun.

Did you ever get around to trying BH209 in that?

Nope. Just Goex FF and FFF and some elephant stuff. I also used Pyrodex and 777 pellets. It worked well with the pellets no hang fires. Only problem is no safety! I use something to protect the button/firing pin from being struck by the hammer. It also aids in installing and removing it from the modified nipple.

Jim

Hopefully these pics are better and my installation/removal tool and safety device.
20200308_091344.jpg 20200308_090958.jpg 20200308_090949.jpg

Attachments

• 20200308_091344.jpg
    20200308_091344.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200308_090958.jpg
    20200308_090958.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200308_090949.jpg
    20200308_090949.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3
I'm curious about this pistol and there is one on Gunbroker. I know I'm late with this question, but are replacement nipples available?
I bought my replacement nipples 6 months ago at Track of the Wolf.

Latest posts

Back